Brian Maurer is going to be a special player

He will leave this university as a fan favorite and help lead us back to respectability and competing for championships.The kid is mobile and has a very quick release.I also think he has that it factor as a leader.The two ints he threw yesterday were him trying to do to much. He will learn to throw those away in time.One thing I was wanting to see yesterday was how he responded after the big hit against him last game. He showed me all I need to see.He was fearless and throwing his body around with no regard.The mark of a great qb is to make those around him play harder and better.I think this kid will do just that.
Most dillusonal fanbase in the SEC

Oh I don't know how soon that will be.I do believe he will help us get back to respectability and competing for championships.
Hallelujah! If this young man isn't "Used up" before he is ready for SEC play, he could be one of the best. I hate that he is getting hurt-physically hurt so early in his career. Football is called a contact sport for a reason, but it is up to the coaches to make sure our Freshmen are developed into SEC athletes before putting them into the arena. Two starts, two outs due to injury, we need to bring this young man along-we could see great things out of him.

I agree about Bailey, if he is who some people think he is. But it is way too early to tell about Maurer yet. He has really got the team fired up. And he is a true duel threat which in my opinion is the best kind of qb to have in college. Look at all the good teams, they have a mobile qb. A pure pocket passer is much easier to defend. So let the best man to ut win the competion, but I hope Pruitt has learned by now that you can't tell it all in practice time. Real game time is what counts.
That’s been my point all along in the HB vs BM debate. Most of BMs incompletions have been throw aways. But you can’t deny the accuracy when he’s throwing to a receiver. HB can do the same thing but BM has the added element of elusiveness and 4.5 speed along with a stronger arm. I could care less where the services had the ranked. I know what I see and BM can do anything HB can. No matter how the competition plays out in the long run, HB has a bigger problem than he anticipated beating out BM.

Reactions: cgrish
He looked horrible yesterday. I am not sure he is the answer and it seems people are anointing a qb that completes less than 58% of his passes and tosses ill advised interceptions. In two games, he has racked up 4 ints including 2 that cost us points on the board.
Chill! The kids a true freshman. He'll learn. And besides the team loves him, they hustle for him. Comparatively, as freshmen, Maurer's feet are better than Peyton's and his arm is better than Dobbs. He's a keeper!

Reactions: cgrish and 1vol8
As a true freshman, starting in only his second game behind a young offensive line, it is hardly surprising that Maurer should look like “a middle-of-the-road SEC qb.” His performance, however, in the first half against Georgia speaks volumes. He is decisive, clearly possesses courage and confidence in his own abilities, and inspires his teammates.

A lot of “gunslingers,” including Brett Favre, threw far too many interceptions, simply because they relied too much on their throwing arms, rather than their ability to read coverages. Personally, I have faith in Chaney and Weinke to cure Maurer of the worst of this tendency. That is, of course, if Maurer wants to remain Tennessee’s starting quarterback.
Comparison to Favre?!? He is playing much better than JG, but he is no Brett Favre. We need to give the guy time to improve before likening him to HoF QBs. In comparison to what we have seen recently from TN QBs, he is a welcomed site, but let’s not overplay his abilities just yet.

I agree. Hope he is the best in the SEC but Freshman QBs who turn it over do not play. A spring and another fsll camp will help him alot.
He isnt scared to try and make the play which is a good trait. His issues right now are very fixable. Confidence is definitely not one of them. Lol.

Avatar says UF. Screen name says gator. Claims to be a Vol. This may prove hard to convince the people of VN. 😂
----
I graduated from both schools and I've one son in Hess Hall and two more children on the way. I truly want UT to do well, especially during my kid's college years. It's a lot more fun when your team is doing well.

Which would be great for Vol fans. Shuler was a better college QB than Peyton. Seriously. Skill sets are different for college and pros. In college my prototypical QB is Vince Young. For the NFL it's Peyton
Better than Peyton ? I believe you need to check the stats and team w/l for both.

Which would be great for Vol fans. Shuler was a better college QB than Peyton. Seriously. Skill sets are different for college and pros. In college my prototypical QB is Vince Young. For the NFL it's Peyton

What have you been smoking? Shuler better than Peyton during college. Shuler was dumb as dirt. Could not read a play book to save his life. Great athlete yes but dumb as dirt. It's why he bombed in the NFL.

He will leave this university as a fan favorite and help lead us back to respectability and competing for championships.The kid is mobile and has a very quick release.I also think he has that it factor as a leader.The two ints he threw yesterday were him trying to do to much. He will learn to throw those away in time.One thing I was wanting to see yesterday was how he responded after the big hit against him last game. He showed me all I need to see.He was fearless and throwing his body around with no regard.The mark of a great qb is to make those around him play harder and better.I think this kid will do just that.
He’s obviously respected by his peers. I would pump the brakes a little though. Definitely has leadership let’s see if he can develop the rest.

Reactions: tn4elvis
People need to seriously slow their roll on Bailey imo. When he gets here next year, if he still comes here, he won’t be the automatic starter. Matter of fact, I think he’ll be 3rd string behind Maurer and Hill for most of if not all year and likely won’t start a game as a freshman unless injury forces him in.
Maybe. That said Pruitt doesn’t seem like he minds starting a younger player IF they are better than who’s in front of them.

Reactions: tn4elvis

VN Store

Back