Florida vs LSU

LSU offense v UF defense:

Florida will be the first legitimate defense LSU has faced. The other good team they’ve played, Texas, is horrible on defense, ranked 102nd nationally. There could be a bit of a shock factor for LSU so I’ll be interested to see how they may react versus a ferocious defense for the first time. What happens when dudes who have been running wide open all year are suddenly covered and what happens when Burrow, who has stood in a clean pocket all year suddenly gets intense pressure. UF’s strengths seem to matchup very well with LSU. UF’s excellent secondary and pass rush versus LSU’s excellent passing game. LSU is among the NCAA leaders in every passing category while UF leads the nation (or is among the leaders) in sacks, interceptions and every other defensive category. How this matchup plays out will be fun to watch.

UF’s offense v LSU’s defense:

A big misconception; Florida can’t run the ball and LSU can. Wrong. Florida hasn’t set the world on fire but UF has more total rushing yards, more average yards per rush, and more average rushing yards per game than LSU and I think Florida has the better feature back in Lamical Perine. LSU’s defense has been solid but not spectacular. Florida’s offense has been efficient but turnover prone. The UF o-Line is average but really good coaching has allowed that to be masked as much as possible.

Intangibles:

LSU’s home crowd is obviously worth points to LSU, it’ll be a chaotic environment. But something tells me that Florida’s defense may actually thrive even more in that chaotic atmosphere. But UF’s offense will have communication issues, not good for a team that already has turnover issues. Obviously UF’s offense can’t turn the ball over 3-4 times like they’ve done a few times this year. If that happens LSU will win going away.

I think this will be a close game, like all UF-LSU games recently. I think UF’s defense keeps them in this game, I think Florida shocks the nation and pulls out a close win 27-23.

Reactions: mcg8r
LSU wins by 14.

This.

Florida is better than they get credit for, but this feels like the year for LSU. BR at night will be tough for the gators.

I think it will be close for a half then LSU pulls away and the Tigers are never really threatened.

LSU offense v UF defense:

Florida will be the first legitimate defense LSU has faced. The other good team they’ve played, Texas, is horrible on defense, ranked 102nd nationally. There could be a bit of a shock factor for LSU so I’ll be interested to see how they may react versus a ferocious defense for the first time. What happens when dudes who have been running wide open all year are suddenly covered and what happens when Burrow, who has stood in a clean pocket all year suddenly gets intense pressure. UF’s strengths seem to matchup very well with LSU. UF’s excellent secondary and pass rush versus LSU’s excellent passing game. LSU is among the NCAA leaders in every passing category while UF leads the nation (or is among the leaders) in sacks, interceptions and every other defensive category. How this matchup plays out will be fun to watch.

UF’s offense v LSU’s defense:

A big misconception; Florida can’t run the ball and LSU can. Wrong. Florida hasn’t set the world on fire but UF has more total rushing yards, more average yards per rush, and more average rushing yards per game than LSU and I think Florida has the better feature back in Lamical Perine. LSU’s defense has been solid but not spectacular. Florida’s offense has been efficient but turnover prone. The UF o-Line is average but really good coaching has allowed that to be masked as much as possible.

Intangibles:

LSU’s home crowd is obviously worth points to LSU, it’ll be a chaotic environment. But something tells me that Florida’s defense may actually thrive even more in that chaotic atmosphere. But UF’s offense will have communication issues, not good for a team that already has turnover issues. Obviously UF’s offense can’t turn the ball over 3-4 times like they’ve done a few times this year. If that happens LSU will win going away.

I think this will be a close game, like all UF-LSU games recently. I think UF’s defense keeps them in this game, I think Florida shocks the nation and pulls out a close win 27-23.

My problem with your point about the running game is that those stats are dependent on some break away runs. Don't get me wrong, I'll take 'em all day !! But it seems to me that with LSU's potent offense clock-running offensive drives would be helpful for UF and I just haven't seen us able to do that this year so far.

3 play drives including a 70-yard pass or run in 40 seconds is great when your defense keeps their offense in check. But against LSU we need to be able to grind out some 12 play, 70-yard drives that take five or six minutes, particularly if we are nursing a small lead at the end of the game.

Reactions: Gatornator
My problem with your point about the running game is that those stats are dependent on some break away runs..

But against LSU we need to be able to grind out some 12 play, 70-yard drives that take five or six minutes, particularly if we are nursing a small lead at the end of the game.

Those breakaway runs count and it’s no coincidence that two of them (Hammond v Kentucky and Perine v Auburn) came in the 4th quarter and were crucial plays. If we have to grind away with 1-3 yard runs for 3 quarters to finally break a homerun in the 4th, I’ll take it. But LSU isn’t even having the critical breakaway runs. They’re just running occasionally to give the WR’s a breather apparently. I don’t know, but I just like the idea of a UF defense being able to really get after a passer and play their tight man to man coverage with little fear of being burned by the run. Grantham lives for that scenario.

Agree with you on the need for Uf’s offense to grind out some long drivers. But my key is they cannot turn the ball over. That’ll kill them in that environment.

I see a lower-scoring game. I like LSU at home, but you never know in games like these. One possession; one big play; one turnover; one missed kick; or one blown (or bad) call by the officials can tip the scales.

LSU by 4.

Edit: Both teams' strategy will likely be to play field-position offense, and go after the opposing QB. Whoever gets there most has the edge. Trask/Jones at risk here. Burrow is a game manager. So now it comes down to whichever front 7 can get there. Again, have to go with LSU at home.

Burrow has 22 TDS, 78% completions through the first week in October. I’d say he’s more than a game manager now. This isn’t the LSU we’ve become accustomed to seeing over the years. They can point up points in a hurry. They’ll be too much for the Gators at night in Baton Rouge.
Kudos to the Gators so far. They have exceeded my expectations thus far, but I’m still not sold on them as a SEC Title contender. Obviously, if they win this weekend they are.

Those breakaway runs count and it’s no coincidence that two of them (Hammond v Kentucky and Perine v Auburn) came in the 4th quarter and were crucial plays. If we have to grind away with 1-3 yard runs for 3 quarters to finally break a homerun in the 4th, I’ll take it. But LSU isn’t even having the critical breakaway runs. They’re just running occasionally to give the WR’s a breather apparently. I don’t know, but I just like the idea of a UF defense being able to really get after a passer and play their tight man to man coverage with little fear of being burned by the run. Grantham lives for that scenario.

Agree with you on the need for Uf’s offense to grind out some long drivers. But my key is they cannot turn the ball over. That’ll kill them in that environment.

Yes, our D should be able to pressure the QB. Big factor.

As another aside on it, I really did feel that we had much more speed than Auburn. Swain and Perine, for example. Will be interested to see if that is true versus LSU, as well.

Reactions: mcg8r and Jaws
Yes, our D should be able to pressure the QB. Big factor.

As another aside on it, I really did feel that we had much more speed than Auburn. Swain and Perine, for example. Will be interested to see if that is true versus LSU, as well.

I thought that too about the speed.

Also, while LSU is very good on the D-Line, Auburn was/is absurdly good. Brown is Aaron Donald good. And their other dudes are NFL good. I don’t see LSU’s defense posing as many problems for UF, but again, this may be offset some by the home crowd boosting them.

Something’s gotta give with this:

Burrow and LSU’s offense is on fire. He has 22 TD passes in 5 games.

Versus the Florida defense, opposing QB’s have 4 TD passes and 12 picks.

This is gonna be a helluva matchup.

Burrow has 22 TDS, 78% completions through the first week in October. I’d say he’s more than a game manager now. This isn’t the LSU we’ve become accustomed to seeing over the years. They can point up points in a hurry. They’ll be too much for the Gators at night in Baton Rouge.
Kudos to the Gators so far. They have exceeded my expectations thus far, but I’m still not sold on them as a SEC Title contender. Obviously, if they win this weekend they are.

Agreed. Maybe I should have said "experienced game manager". To be certain, this will be a legitimacy test for the Gator defense. If they can match up with LSU, I see this as a one-score game into the 4th. If not, then yes, LSU might run them out of the stadium. I still think it's a "Front 7" game, though. Both coaches know what's at stake here. I expect both to rely on their defense to pressure the opposing offense and create field position and opportunities (turnovers). This is must-see TV for anyone who likes college football.

Florida had young Nix sped up throughout the game. This Saturday will be a most interesting game if the pass rush gets to mighty Joe. I watched last night's pro game and Indy defense really banged and pushed Mahome throughout. They dominated the LOS and was on their side more than the Chiefs offense. They simply banged on the "magic" man until he lost his "magic" touch. In the end, he was limping and no doubt counting the body parts that were still attached instead of wowing everyone will his high flying acrobatics for 4 quarters. Then the Colts methodically kept the ball on the ground and took field goals when they were close and that was that. At Kansas City.

I believe that the Gators will test LSU's offensive principles in a way that the Longhorns couldn't. The Horns were introducing 8 new starters on their defense and playing in their first game. It's hard not to believe that Grantham isn't going to be trying to do to Burrows what he did vs Nix and what Indy did to Mahome. My own convictions have always been that football is a simple game when you get pressure.

Reactions: feathersax
Defensive stats for LSU’s opponents (total, pass, rush):

Ga Southern - 54th, 95th, 33rd
Texas - 93rd, 121st, 31st
Northwestern St - FCS
Vandy - 120th, 109th, 109th
Utah St - 81st, 107th, 52nd

Safe to say UF’s defense will be the best LSU has faced all season.

This match up is intriguing. You have the high flying LSU offense which hasn't faced a passing defense in the top 100 against Florida which has a very good defense. LSUs defense, like Bamas, isn't up to the usual standard so Florida will move the ball. I think LSU gets the W but it'd be afraid to bet against the spread

Defensive stats for LSU’s opponents (total, pass, rush):

Ga Southern - 54th, 95th, 33rd
Texas - 93rd, 121st, 31st
Northwestern St - FCS
Vandy - 120th, 109th, 109th
Utah St - 81st, 107th, 52nd

Safe to say UF’s defense will be the best LSU has faced all season.

It is just as likely UF defense is fraudulent.

UK, backup qb. UT, terrible qb. Auburn, freshman qb. Miami, terrible qb. There is a pattern here.

VN Store

Back