Question I'd Love Answered

crotch jones built foundation on sand..it fell..people lost confidence (players/fans) new coach comes tries cleaning up..throws out broken materials and builds with whats left..starts ordering new material but can only order so much each year..but we want that **** built now..now fire him for not building a winning team from scrap ..."every other coach could"

lulz

Hey, that’s like a parable or is it a fable? I get confused. 😎

We're hearing that Pruitt needs more time. More time to recruit quality players. We're 25th on rivals. Only 14 commits. 11th in the SEC. Honestly, what quality players are going consider us when the product is so bad in year 2? He can't sell his 'vision' when we're worse this year than last, and every other team will easily be able to trash this staff on the trail. Please explain.

Ya we need to move in from Pruitt. And I’m not even joking. This whole he needs more time to get more depth? The recruiting is getting worse. It’s an endless cycle. The recruiting is so bad because the team is so bad. Great players want to go to winning programs.

Reactions: 08Vol
We're hearing that Pruitt needs more time. More time to recruit quality players. We're 25th on rivals. Only 14 commits. 11th in the SEC. Honestly, what quality players are going consider us when the product is so bad in year 2? He can't sell his 'vision' when we're worse this year than last, and every other team will easily be able to trash this staff on the trail. Please explain.
Good luck with getting an answer. These Pruitt worshippers on here cannot be persuaded. I have been bashed all week because I'm sick of the 25 and 30 Point losses every week. Somehow I'm the problem if I don't bow at the altar of Pruitt. It would be nice to have an intelligent conversation with these people but it's like a religion. When somebody worships something there's no changing their mind.

Reactions: 08Vol and I40flyer
Good luck with getting an answer. These Pruitt worshippers on here cannot be persuaded. I have been bashed all week because I'm sick of the 25 and 30 Point losses every week. Somehow I'm the problem if I don't bow at the altar of Pruitt. It would be nice to have an intelligent conversation with these people but it's like a religion. When somebody worships something there's no changing their mind.

Hear ya. It was an honest question I'd like answered. Not sure it ever was.

Reactions: troyntn71
Just as often it does not. In fact, it often means poor helmet fit, and forced- one play outs- due to loss of such. These "must sit one play out" times seem to happen at the worst possible moments.....just saying.
Marquez C?
I don't have one player in mind, but through out all of NCAA Football, watching the games, you see the helmet issue over and over, more often than not, it is with some player expressing his individuality by having his hair done up in "man-buns" or hanging out of his helmet 10-15 inches. They must sit out the next play if their helmet comes off rule, is a good one, only the Lord knows how many injuries it has prevented, I'd be in favor of a rule that says, if it happens twice in a game your out the next quarter, this might actually save lives.

Last edited:
Hear ya. It was an honest question I'd like answered. Not sure it ever was.

I’ll try

Some folks simply believe he is the guy. If believing that, they are willing to give time.

Pruitt most likely cannot get the “best talent” right now. However if he can get “decent” talent, then with him developing them, Tennessee “could” start winning more games.

I mean let’s be honest Tennessee should win 4-5 every year even with a “decent” roster.....then just start winning some of those other games and its 6 wins easy (or more).

Once Tennessee starts winning again “maybe” you get even better talent. Then you start competing with most teams in the SEC.

Start doing that, and getting more and better talent, you suddenly have a 8-9 win team........8 wins and everyone is happy (not literally everyone) but it keeps things going.

In this scenario.....you look at it as a 5 year deal.....regardless. In that 5th year do you win 8 or better or do you slump off like BJ? If you win you stay if you lose you go.

Why we have a staff full of great recruiters & coaches.

Just need to build quality depth, and it’s not going to be a quick fix because of the record.

Fans need to be patient and really try to understand we have no backups at a lot of key positions.

That’s why you saw the drop off from the 1st half to the 2nd half Saturday.

Georgia was able to sub a 5 star with a 4 star developed upper class-man.

Tennessee had players that couldn’t come off the field.

We are close, just need more dudes of quality, size, experience & speed.

Our expectations of a quick fix winning our share against Bama, Florida, Georgia those types of schools consistently have to be put in check.

This program after Kiffin bolted was so mismanaged from administration down that it put us not only in a hole, but the bottom of that hole.

Pruitt and his staff are putting in GREAT WORK. But people we have been losing to Vandy, Kentucky, SC for a reason. NONE OF THOSE REASONS ARE ON PRUITT & STAFF. OR OUR CURRENT ADMINISTRATION.

Patience as hard as that is. It’s going to just take time.
Stone by stone

Reactions: JoAllan
Expert on running and fixing complex problems at a huge college football program.

Also doesn't know the difference between are and our.

Ladies and gentlemen, meet the FAHR crowd. They work at wal-mart.

FWIW, I believe we currently have the 6th best SEC class when you look at the average. Keep in mind that it's also October. Also keep in mind that Butch recruited out of his mind based on star rankings and this is where we are.
Ha. Ha. Mr. Catfish tell me why you think we have the 6th best class in the SEC. Also please tell me whats wrong at working at wal-mart.

Reactions: OldVolMan
Ya we need to move in from Pruitt. And I’m not even joking. This whole he needs more time to get more depth? The recruiting is getting worse. It’s an endless cycle. The recruiting is so bad because the team is so bad. Great players want to go to winning programs.

How has recruiting gotten worse? There have only been 2 classes signed and some quality recruits were in those 2 classes. We're lucky to steal guys like Henry To.. from the likes of Alabama. We're not going to get all the top 5 stars and 4 stars those guys go to winning programs. We'll be lucky the ones we do get to build around. No coach out there is going to change that in a year. This thing isn't going to turn around in 2 or 3 years. Pruitt is going to have to build it and learn on the job. There's no other logical option this is the hole that has been dug into for many years now and the hand that has to be played out.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
He needs time for more than just recruiting, the program needs stability, it needs an identity.

Only people I hear trashing our staff besides some Georgia fans is US. They will look at Pruitt’s last track record still, they will look to see early PT, they will look to see how well our current Freshman and Sophomores performed from the beginning to the end of the season, they will look at our history and they will like the idea of being a part of all of that.

Can someone explain to me what "coaching up" means? Is that taking a mid level tight end in Bumphus and making him a decent D lineman? Taking receiver Taylor and making him a decent freshman DB? Ditto for Thomson? True Freshman linebacker To'o To'o seems to have been coached up. Two freshman O lineman. Flowers was essentially a baseball player that played one season of HS football and is more or less a two year starter. Significant contribution from freshman linebacker Crouch. The team is not good or deep but has a good young foundation of players able to run with #3 for a half. It seems they are being coached up but I'm open to examples. If we don't win an SEC game this year I'll eat crow...

Ha. Ha. Mr. Catfish tell me why you think we have the 6th best class in the SEC. Also please tell me whats wrong at working at wal-mart.
The picture is a trout.
The average recruit rank, not total # which is skewed when you have less than half your class finalized.
Nothing, so long as it's not your final goal as an adult human. Perfect for high school and transition.

Can someone explain to me what "coaching up" means? Is that taking a mid level tight end in Bumphus and making him a decent D lineman? Taking receiver Taylor and making him a decent freshman DB? Ditto for Thomson? True Freshman linebacker To'o To'o seems to have been coached up. Two freshman O lineman. Flowers was essentially a baseball player that played one season of HS football and is more or less a two year starter. Significant contribution from freshman linebacker Crouch. The team is not good or deep but has a good young foundation of players able to run with #3 for a half. It seems they are being coached up but I'm open to examples. If we don't win an SEC game this year I'll eat crow...
Anyone that can't see the drastic improvement in individuals AND scheme, at this point, is purposely trying to be obtuse.

Under Butch and Dooley I literally remember most players getting worse as their careers progressed. And schemes made less and less sense given the opponent.

Pruitt may or may not work out. But this staff is full of damn good coaches.

Reactions: Lurker

Because the recruits they are still in on haven’t pulled the trigger, and most schools in front of us recruiting have more numbers. If you take just the star rankings UT is about 7 to 8 spots higher on that list.

I’ll try

Some folks simply believe he is the guy. If believing that, they are willing to give time.

Pruitt most likely cannot get the “best talent” right now. However if he can get “decent” talent, then with him developing them, Tennessee “could” start winning more games.

I mean let’s be honest Tennessee should win 4-5 every year even with a “decent” roster.....then just start winning some of those other games and its 6 wins easy (or more).

Once Tennessee starts winning again “maybe” you get even better talent. Then you start competing with most teams in the SEC.

Start doing that, and getting more and better talent, you suddenly have a 8-9 win team........8 wins and everyone is happy (not literally everyone) but it keeps things going.

In this scenario.....you look at it as a 5 year deal.....regardless. In that 5th year do you win 8 or better or do you slump off like BJ? If you win you stay if you lose you go.

Hopefully in year 5, Pruitt isn't having a sham "coaching search" for offensive coordinator and then just promotes someone like Will Friend........

I'm still convinced that had Butch gone out and hired a reputable OC, he'd still be coaching here. Because you look at the Florida, UK, and USC games...... All 3 had crazy parts where the playcalling made no sense.

No there were a few great players on that team he inherited. To include Andre Smith a 1st round NFL draft pick.

Bobby greenwood, there were a few more I’ll have to go look back. But that team especially on the oline was loaded when Saban got there.

How he was able to turn it around so quickly.
Recruiting rules have changed that will make a recruiting rebuild slower. You can’t process players anymore the same way Saban did. In Sabans second year he signed 33 players. The rules allowed him to turn that entire roster over in 3 years.

Reactions: vols1707
How has recruiting gotten worse? There have only been 2 classes signed and some quality recruits were in those 2 classes. We're lucky to steal guys like Henry To.. from the likes of Alabama. We're not going to get all the top 5 stars and 4 stars those guys go to winning programs. We'll be lucky the ones we do get to build around. No coach out there is going to change that in a year. This thing isn't going to turn around in 2 or 3 years. Pruitt is going to have to build it and learn on the job. There's no other logical option this is the hole that has been dug into for many years now and the hand that has to be played out.

We we’re lucky to get a couple of big fish last year (couch and totooto) but we need even more of those type recruits this year and none of those guys really seem to be in play this cycle. Our current recruiting class is the lowest ranking I can ever remember at this stage. Kids are committed earlier and earlier these days so there’s virtually zero chance at us having a great recruiting class this year. We have to get in on them earlier.

Use stuff like this to help get these kids here
"They're on the brink of something special"- Kirby Smart
And what do you think Kirby is going to say to the same kid in his living room?? Not ^that^...

He's going to say.. Yeah, you don't want to go Tennessee... For the simple reason we are going to pound them again and again. You want to go to a team that wins and can show case your talent..

VN Store

Back