Question I'd Love Answered

I don't buy the early playing time. Look at the top 10 programs and tell me which team is telling recruits to come there cause they can play right away

Reactions: Chitlin&theDude
The only reason everyone is all about the "Get over it" response, is because the Georgia State game, and BYU game, shatter the "No talent" argument. People still talk about the Wyoming game 10 years later and the "It's time to move on" crowd is nowhere to be found.

They didn't quit, they had way more talent. So what's left? Yeah, we all know what's left.

And I'm not saying we have a loaded team. Im saying complaining about talent is like someone in a board meeting saying things would be better if we had 200% more money. No ****. There's not a team in America that wouldn't win more games with more talent. That's not an excuse to ignore the talent we do have being squandered by Beldar.

We're hearing that Pruitt needs more time. More time to recruit quality players. We're 25th on rivals. Only 14 commits. 11th in the SEC. Honestly, what quality players are going consider us when the product is so bad in year 2? He can't sell his 'vision' when we're worse this year than last, and every other team will easily be able to trash this staff on the trail. Please explain.

Fewer people than you think see the world as you do, likely fewer still high school footballers.

I don't buy the early playing time. Look at the top 10 programs and tell me which team is telling recruits to come there cause they can play right away
What is so hard to understand about it? We've played 17-18 true freshmen this year. News flash, we aren't a top 10 team.

Reactions: I40flyer
What is so hard to understand about it? We've played 17-18 true freshmen this year. News flash, we aren't a top 10 team.
Not even top 50...just saying
EDIT: as of today (Athlon sports) has us, UT at #96, at least we aren't below 100, that's something to be happy about....

Last edited:
Great Post!!! Recruiting is not going to save us. Period. Last year we were 7th in SEC - this year it will be worse - bottom third. Its a chicken/egg situation. As a HC you have to develop players. Once everyone sees you developing players then you will get the great recruits. Due to Pruitt's lack of player development are recruiting is very much slipping away. It's really common sense. What kid wants to go to a team where he can't be developed for the League.
Henry Too'Too' not developing? You have got to be kidding me. Recruiting is a big key to turning things around. Some of the best players on this team are TRUE FRESHMEN that are being coached to improve.

The fact is, we all know from playing the wonderful NCAA Football 2014 (RIP), that different things matter to recruits, and not all are the same.

Are there going to be some who want to jump on at Ohio State, Clemson, Bama, Georgia, and be part of that success that's already there? Sure.
Are there some who are going to look at our situation and see immediate playing time. They're going to see playing in a huge stadium against Georgia and Alabama every year. They're going to see one of the top DCs in the country as a HC who can teach them how to get to the next level. They're going to see an OC who is regarded as one of the best as well. They're going to see Henry T and Bituli play almost every single snap, and realize that Bituli is graduating and has no one behind him. They're going to see that there is plenty of opportunity and a culture that is being cleaned that won't tolerate anything but excellence.

I feel very good that no matter our record, we will get 25 guys in here this year who will help build our program back.

I agree with you here. But I just think its not as easy as saying well Maurer played well and he should have been starting. We heard reports in practice that JG was playing well. So as a coach, how do you look at a guy out performing his competition in practice and say oh well the other guy is better? Seems like that would be a tough decision.

I think Maurer will only continue to improve. He showed moxie, good vision and a good skill set. I mean he was thrown into the fire and quite honestly he played well. I think if Maurer continues to improve like I think he will, he could end up being a really special,player.
Good question and I see your point. I have been a coach for over 25 years and it often is you be damned if you change and be damned if you don't! Looking at the body of work with JG who has been on campus forever and makes the same mistakes over and over again has to factor in the decision for me. When you recruit a player yourself then you have to feel somewhat good about his potential. Even if Mauer is the man he will have to fight Bailey next year and probably someone else. Not a great answer because there is not one. Thanks! SCCSS

Reactions: Vol524
Good question and I see your point. I have been a coach for over 25 years and it often is you be damned if you change and be damned if you don't! Looking at the body of work with JG who has been on campus forever and makes the same mistakes over and over again has to factor in the decision for me. When you recruit a player yourself then you have to feel somewhat good about his potential. Even if Mauer is the man he will have to fight Bailey next year and probably someone else. Not a great answer because there is not one. Thanks! SCCSS

Good post.

We're hearing that Pruitt needs more time. More time to recruit quality players. We're 25th on rivals. Only 14 commits. 11th in the SEC. Honestly, what quality players are going consider us when the product is so bad in year 2? He can't sell his 'vision' when we're worse this year than last, and every other team will easily be able to trash this staff on the trail. Please explain.
The best thing to do is make a bowl game this year. If he does that the recruiting front will change. If it does end up a 2 win season...it will also change..for the worse.

Reactions: 08Vol
Even though things are looking up because of some of the younger players we have still have my concerns about Pruitt. We should've won the first two games of the season some really bad decisions and staying with players that are not performing seems to be one of his faults. I think he only went to Maurer because he was getting a lot of pressure to do so. I think he'd still be playing JG otherwise. I also think he needs to win at least three of Miss St, SC, Ky, Missouri and Vandy because according to rosters we have out recruited most of them the last three seasons even though that was true of Ga State and BYU and we lost. You can't keep saying we have no players forever. Eventually your gonna have to beat these teams that finish 40 to fifty in recruiting every season and you certainly must defeat weak teams like Ga State and BYU. You don't get to use the recruiting excuse forever. I know were a far level from Georgia, Florida, and Bama may not ever get there again and never see it happening with Pruitt, but we should be able to play with everyone else on our schedule. You want to give him a fair shot to succeed the rest of this season and next, but has to end somewhere if he can't get it done he doesn't have five years to get to 6 and 6 we should be there now.

Why we have a staff full of great recruiters & coaches.

Just need to build quality depth, and it’s not going to be a quick fix because of the record.

Fans need to be patient and really try to understand we have no backups at a lot of key positions.

That’s why you saw the drop off from the 1st half to the 2nd half Saturday.

Georgia was able to sub a 5 star with a 4 star developed upper class-man.

Tennessee had players that couldn’t come off the field.

We are close, just need more dudes of quality, size, experience & speed.

Our expectations of a quick fix winning our share against Bama, Florida, Georgia those types of schools consistently have to be put in check.

This program after Kiffin bolted was so mismanaged from administration down that it put us not only in a hole, but the bottom of that hole.

Pruitt and his staff are putting in GREAT WORK. But people we have been losing to Vandy, Kentucky, SC for a reason. NONE OF THOSE REASONS ARE ON PRUITT & STAFF. OR OUR CURRENT ADMINISTRATION.

Patience as hard as that is. It’s going to just take time.
You know, I could have swallowed all of that until Pruitt lost the team lat year and the rumor was they did not want the extra practices or go to some minor bowl game. Now the burden is on Pruitt to change the perception of his program and losing to Ga. St. and not having a clue as to stop their run game set him back quiet a bit.
I can give you a list of great coordinators who could not function as a head coach and at this point I am not sure that he is not one of them.
But he has until the end of next year to put up or shut up whether we like it or not. I would love it if he could do it as a Vol fan.

I agree. I am embarrassed by the loss but I got over it. It happens. Remember Appy St. beat a highly ranked Michigan team. Wonder if their fans are still hung up on it. You try and learn from those kind of mistakes and move on.

This is either spin or shows that he is in over his head. It’s fine for players to fight during practice, that is what competition and long hot days do to you. It’s a whole other animal to fight on the sidelines during a game. It’s week 6, that means players and coaches have had almost 3 months of practices to get this crap sorted out.

VN Store

Back