Question I'd Love Answered

We we’re lucky to get a couple of big fish last year (couch and totooto) but we need even more of those type recruits this year and none of those guys really seem to be in play this cycle. Our current recruiting class is the lowest ranking I can ever remember at this stage. Kids are committed earlier and earlier these days so there’s virtually zero chance at us having a great recruiting class this year. We have to get in on them earlier.

Kids flip all the time. And who is your choice in a replacement coach that's going to come in here and recruit a roster of 4 and 5* immediately? See how crazy that is? We have what we have. Going to have to dig out of this mess the hard way. The roster ain't going to flip in a cycle or two.

Doesn't Vandy pretty much finish last in recruiting in the SEC every year? Up until this season, they have been very competitive against upper echelon SEC teams. Maybe I'm wrong.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
Sooner or later, Pruitt will have nothing left to sell to recruits if he doesn’t start showing improvement in the W Column.
That's a fact, Imo. But, CJP and Ansley are both defensive back gurus and our backers seem to be doing very well, also. I believe we need to sure up our d-line and load up on some more receivers and a couple of o-linemen.

Reactions: amorange
What is so hard to understand about it? We've played 17-18 true freshmen this year. News flash, we aren't a top 10 team.
We're playing them cause we have to. Again look at the top recruiting schools and tell me which ones are selling playing time to the top kids? Majority of the elite talent isn't afraid of competition. If playing time was a huge reason vandy would recruit in the top 5

We're playing them cause we have to. Again look at the top recruiting schools and tell me which ones are selling playing time to the top kids? Majority of the elite talent isn't afraid of competition. If playing time was a huge reason vandy would recruit in the top 5
The only thing you just said that makes any sense is your first sentence. We aren't a "top recruiting school" so one of the only things we have to sell is playing time. It's not really that hard..

Reactions: amorange
Why we have a staff full of great recruiters & coaches.

Just need to build quality depth, and it’s not going to be a quick fix because of the record.

Fans need to be patient and really try to understand we have no backups at a lot of key positions.

That’s why you saw the drop off from the 1st half to the 2nd half Saturday.

Georgia was able to sub a 5 star with a 4 star developed upper class-man.

Tennessee had players that couldn’t come off the field.

We are close, just need more dudes of quality, size, experience & speed.

Our expectations of a quick fix winning our share against Bama, Florida, Georgia those types of schools consistently have to be put in check.

This program after Kiffin bolted was so mismanaged from administration down that it put us not only in a hole, but the bottom of that hole.

Pruitt and his staff are putting in GREAT WORK. But people we have been losing to Vandy, Kentucky, SC for a reason. NONE OF THOSE REASONS ARE ON PRUITT & STAFF. OR OUR CURRENT ADMINISTRATION.

Patience as hard as that is. It’s going to just take time.
'Nice to have some adults in the room 1707. You & your likers. Well played, sir.

OK negas. That's your cue to whine on.

Reactions: Lurker and vols1707
He needs time for more than just recruiting, the program needs stability, it needs an identity.

So you can't answer the question? This is the attitude that has set us back. People said the EXACT SAME THING when Dooley & Jones were here, and the results were the same = DOA HC so the staffs & recruits bailed. No stability. No recruits.

Reactions: 08Vol and 'Boro-vol
So you can't answer the question? This is the attitude that has set us back. People said the EXACT SAME THING when Dooley & Jones were here, and the results were the same = DOA HC so the staffs & recruits bailed. No stability. No recruits.

Dooley wasn't recruiting. Butch could recruit but showed he was a horrible in game coach in Year 4........ He also didn't have the quality of staff that we currently do either. I'm not saying we should keep Pruitt for 5 years or even 4 years. But I'm not going to pass final judgement on the guy 17 games into his head coaching career coming off a game vs #3 team in the country in which we lost due to no depth on defense.

These coaches didn't wake up here at Tennessee one day and forget how to coach.

Dooley wasn't recruiting. Butch could recruit but showed he was a horrible in game coach in Year 4........ He also didn't have the quality of staff that we currently do either. I'm not saying we should keep Pruitt for 5 years or even 4 years. But I'm not going to pass final judgement on the guy 17 games into his head coaching career coming off a game vs #3 team in the country in which we lost due to no depth on defense.

These coaches didn't wake up here at Tennessee one day and forget how to coach.

He’s shown enough through 17 games to prove he isn’t cut out to lead a flag football team, much less a historical top 10 powerhouse. Here’s a few examples of mistakes that coaches at this level should not make in perpetuity:

1). Clock management — horrible at using TOs when needed/saving when not needed, game tempo (when outmatched, slow the tempo down but speed up the clock), etc.
2). Going for it in situations that would make Hal Mumme say “WTF?”
3). Shuffling players around, looking for their niche on game day. These decisions should be made in practice
4). Leaning on JG for too long—i.e. unmitigated indication that he does not know WTH he even has on this team. He’s been here for nearly two calendar years
5). I knew he was in over his head from the start, but he proved it in the 2018 UGA game. Any respectable coach never goes for two until he has to. We were losing 24-0, but as soon as we made the score 24-6, he lined up and went for two, unsuccessfully. It gets worse—after we scored again and had 12 on the board, he went for two once more, unsuccessfully.

Make all the excuses you want—he needs his players, Butch sucks, he’s learning, the cupboard was bare, etc.—but one thing remains constant, he is being paid millions to lead a pinnacle program into never-before-seen territory. He stands alone in that regard, a claim neither Dooley or Butch can make. Before 2017, UT was one of two teams to have never lost 8 games in a season, he’s on the cusp of surpassing that.

Reactions: 08Vol and OldVolMan
Questions I'd like to answer:
Yes.
Chocolate, by far.
Depends.
Absolutely not.
Okra.

Is that not this kind of thread?

He’s shown enough through 17 games to prove he isn’t cut out to lead a flag football team, much less a historical top 10 powerhouse. Here’s a few examples of mistakes that coaches at this level should not make in perpetuity:

1). Clock management — horrible at using TOs when needed/saving when not needed, game tempo (when outmatched, slow the tempo down but speed up the clock), etc.
3). Shuffling players around, looking for their niche on game day. These decisions should be made in practice
4). Leaning on JG for too long—i.e. unmitigated indication that he does not know WTH he even has on this team. He’s been here for nearly two calendar years
5). I knew he was in over his head from the start, but he proved it in the 2018 UGA game. Any respectable coach never goes for two until he has to. We were losing 24-0, but as soon as we made the score 24-6, he lined up and went for two, unsuccessfully. It gets worse—after we scored again and had 12 on the board, he went for two once more, unsuccessfully.

Make all the excuses you want—he needs his players, Butch sucks, he’s learning, the cupboard was bare, etc.—but one thing remains constant, he is being paid millions to lead a pinnacle program into never-before-seen territory. He stands alone in that regard, a claim neither Dooley or Butch can make. Before 2017, UT was one of two teams to have never lost 8 games in a season, he’s on the cusp of surpassing that.

For #5: Maybe he was banking on our defense to hold UGA and trying to get three more scores and conversions from our offense? It may or may not have been the best call, but I do see reasoning on why he did it.

For #5: Maybe he was banking on our defense to hold UGA and trying to get three more scores and conversions from our offense? It may or may not have been the best call, but I do see reasoning on why he did it.

Let me say it again, and I don’t care about the math or if he was banking on making steep, left-handed turns at Bristol, you never go for two until you have to.

Reactions: 08Vol
Why we have a staff full of great recruiters & coaches.

Just need to build quality depth, and it’s not going to be a quick fix because of the record.

Fans need to be patient and really try to understand we have no backups at a lot of key positions.

That’s why you saw the drop off from the 1st half to the 2nd half Saturday.

Georgia was able to sub a 5 star with a 4 star developed upper class-man.

Tennessee had players that couldn’t come off the field.

We are close, just need more dudes of quality, size, experience & speed.

Our expectations of a quick fix winning our share against Bama, Florida, Georgia those types of schools consistently have to be put in check.

This program after Kiffin bolted was so mismanaged from administration down that it put us not only in a hole, but the bottom of that hole.

Pruitt and his staff are putting in GREAT WORK. But people we have been losing to Vandy, Kentucky, SC for a reason. NONE OF THOSE REASONS ARE ON PRUITT & STAFF. OR OUR CURRENT ADMINISTRATION.

Patience as hard as that is. It’s going to just take time.
We don't have a staff full of top recruiters. Rocker, Rumph and Weinke have brought nothing to the table in recruiting and frankly, their coaching has been questionable as well. Hopefully all three will be replaced and maybe a few more. If you aren't pulling your weight in recruiting or coaching, then you need to be gone.

Except Butch didn't have a system that he recruited players for. Butch just went out and tried to recruit the best players possible and then plug them in however he could. That's one of the biggest reasons why our line depth was and is virtually non existent. Thanks Butch.

And no reason to waste all that hot air in the post. Pruitt isn't going anywhere soon unless he leaves on his own. UT isn't going to light 10-15 million dollars on fire on top of Butch's current buyout just to get rid of Pruitt.

Sorry.

Reactions: Lurker
It's very important that we finish strong. It would be a huge deal if we could win 4 of our last 5. Need 3 of the last 4 at a minimum.

Hopefully in year 5, Pruitt isn't having a sham "coaching search" for offensive coordinator and then just promotes someone like Will Friend........

I'm still convinced that had Butch gone out and hired a reputable OC, he'd still be coaching here. Because you look at the Florida, UK, and USC games...... All 3 had crazy parts where the playcalling made no sense.

I agree

I have always thought if Butch had hired a good OC and probably a QB coach he wound not have gotten fired........however he probably under achieved the entire time he was at Tennessee.

It's very important that we finish strong. It would be a huge deal if we could win 4 of our last 5. Need 3 of the last 4 at a minimum.

This very well could be another 2010..... 2-6 thru first 8 and then new QB rattles off 4 wins in a fury......

Mississippi State game is huge in making any run.

The constant coaching turnover is what has caused the instability, not to mention the number of AD, chancellor, presidents have come and gone since Fulmer. Like I said, the entire program needs some Volunteers to stick around for a while.

That's a tall order for this roster especially if Solomon can't go.

I’m with you on this, I keep wanting to believe that “recruiting his players,” “setting his culture,” “culling out the trouble makers,” “give him time to coach them up,” and “he is learning on the job,”....... Etc etc
All that I’m afraid is just giving me personally false hope. But, I feel he should be given at least thru next year unless the train just absolutely runs off the track.
But, what keeps popping up in my mind is thinking back on all his games, how many times did he out-coach his apponent. I will give him Auburn and Ky, but other than those? With the staff we have this year it is difficult for me to understand how we lost the first two games.

I think most have missed the OP's original point. If Tennessee needs better players, and that is what everyone is hanging their hope on, why is Tennessee ranked so low and have so few recruits? According to Rivals, Tennessee is behind recruiting powerhouses like Kansas, North Carolina, and Stanford, including most of the SEC. At least Tennessee is out recruiting Mizzou and Vandy, so we don't have to worry about losing to them... Seriously if Tennessee had a top 5 recruiting class I might buy the pitch of better players are coming. But 14 commits with zero 5 stars? Hopefully more are coming.

We're hearing that Pruitt needs more time. More time to recruit quality players. We're 25th on rivals. Only 14 commits. 11th in the SEC. Honestly, what quality players are going consider us when the product is so bad in year 2? He can't sell his 'vision' when we're worse this year than last, and every other team will easily be able to trash this staff on the trail. Please explain.
Thank God Pruitt and Neidermeyer and Tee and staff are selling the vision, the program, the opportunity to recruits and not you. A whole lotta top recruits were in attendance last Saturday, and saw Pruitt’s team lead the #3 team in the country with 2 minutes left in the first half and still very much in the game with a minute and half in the 3rd quarter. They got the experience of 90,000+ fans and an electric atmosphere in Neyland. They got the tours of a great campus and some of the best facilities in college football.

If they win Saturday vs Miss St and find a way to get bowl eligible, which I believe they will if they keep improving and build off the Georgia game, then we’ll get some very good recruits to jump in the boat with a lot of good young players from the 2018 and 2019 classes.

Reactions: JMSqb11
If we beat MissSt this week, which I think we can and will, we can build a lot of momentum for all the toss up games we have left. We can beat SCar, UAB, Ky and Vandy for sure imo. Missouri would be tough.

Thank God Pruitt and Neidermeyer and Tee and staff are selling the vision, the program, the opportunity to recruits and not you. A whole lotta top recruits were in attendance last Saturday, and saw Pruitt’s team lead the #3 team in the country with 2 minutes left in the first half and still very much in the game with a minute and half in the 3rd quarter. They got the experience of 90,000+ fans and an electric atmosphere in Neyland. They got the tours of a great campus and some of the best facilities in college football.

If they win Saturday vs Miss St and find a way to get bowl eligible, which I believe they will if they keep improving and build off the Georgia game, then we’ll get some very good recruits to jump in the boat with a lot of good young players from the 2018 and 2019 classes.

Oh boy. So you would say the answer is: It doesn't matter that our rival covered the 25 pt spd and beat us by 29 in our coach's 2nd year at home? And we lost to GA St & BYU at home. Oh yeah, FL destroyed us AGAIN. But, recruiting won't be a problem because we played GA tough for some of the game, and our facilities and campus are on par with the rest of teams we're recruiting against?

Oh boy. So you would say the answer is: It doesn't matter that our rival covered the 25 pt spd and beat us by 29 in our coach's 2nd year at home? And we lost to GA St & BYU at home. Oh yeah, FL destroyed us AGAIN. But, recruiting won't be a problem because we played GA tough for some of the game, and our facilities and campus are on par with the rest of teams we're recruiting against?

Honest question, are you a 17-18 year old recruit being courted right now by Pruitt and his staff?

VN Store

Back