Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it’s far to easy for something as simple as a thumb hitting a face mask to blow up that decision and then the coach looks like an idiot for losing his QB for 8 weeks on unnecessary contact
So, having him shell shocked in live games is a better option. :cool::cool::cool:

Aside from getting a few things wrong, the point remains the same - we had some serious attrition that is about on par with being on NCAA sanctions, and the 25 limit and early signing day handicapped Pruitt's first class.

I'm getting the feeling we're gonna sign a full class this year, and I'm wondering if we're still going to be able to give scholarships to walk-ons after that.

I think the staff likes Maurers dual threat ability. I’m not saying Maurer won’t be good but as far as vision goes Shrout has that right now and I do like his quickness getting the ball out. (Shrout hasn’t had a chance with the 1s and I think that would fix some of his timing issues) It’ll be interesting both QBs have the ability to be good.
What evidence do you have that Shrout has "vision?" I surely have not seen it.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
What evidence do you have that Shrout has "vision?" I surely have not seen it.
rewatch his throws at Chattanooga. Pretty obvious, was not throwing into double and triple coverage. Was putting the ball on the money except for the short throw that skipped to the WR.

We're not hiring a new coach. You guys can stop wasting your time with that topic. Please.

What we need is a transfer QB. Think of how different the season would be going had we landed Hurts, Fields, Eason, or Bryant. We'd be 3-1 if not 4-0 and the outlook on Pruitt and this team would be way different. That's what we need for next year. I love Bailey, but I'd rather not play a freshman if we don't have to, especially when we play OU next year. We need to do what OU did this year: bring in a difference making transfer and redshirt Bailey like they are Rattler so that he can develop, mature, and learn the system.

Is there one out there that anyone knows of that might be looking around? A former big time recruit who didn't win the starting job as a freshman like Fields? Or a really good QB that just got beat out by a superstar like Bryant? Bentley is probably transferring from SC. Not an elite QB, but better than anyone we have imo. Jack Sears is transferring from USC. Is he any good? Are there any more?

Landing a big time transfer QB could really change what this team is capable of in 2020.

Then we lose most of our wr talent next year. Passing game is gonna struggle next year anyway. But if we got a grad transfer, I'd say a running qb could at least give us that threat.

Another OL shuffle? Tennessee’s first-team offensive line had another new look Tuesday, with Darnell Wright working at right tackle and Riley Locklear at right guard. The rest of the first-team offensive line remained the same with Wanya Morris at left tackle, Trey Smith at left guard and Brandon Kennedy. The second-team offensive line (L-R) was Marcus Tatum, Ryan Johnson, Jerome Carvin, Chris Akporoghene and K’Rojhn Calbert.

Jahmir Johnson was at practice Tuesday but never took any reps and looks doubtful for Saturday.

At quarterback, I watched Jim Chaney spend some 1-on-1 time with Brian Maurer in the middle of routes on air. Jarrett Guarantano took every No. 1 rep though, splitting the initial snaps with JT Shrout and Maurer going No. 2 on all reps inside. All three quarterbacks were fine Tuesday. They were mostly accurate, albeit late on some throws. During the first period, the group spent time focusing on speed option and read option plays — with Maurer running all his reps with Ty Chandler.

The tight ends spent two periods working on max protect pass protection against UGA’s 3-4 defense. Brian Niedermeyer had Dominick Wood-Anderson working with both Princeton Fant and Austin Pope.

Defensively, Alontae Taylor was working in just helmets and shorts. The secondary worked on all individual ball-skills stuff, while the linebackers and defensive line focused on gap control in the run game. At inside linebacker, JJ Peterson and Jeremy Banks, who still had his ankle wrapped but was moving a bit better, were with the 2s.

As we were leaving practice, the team split into 11-on-11 work and were blasting load crowd music.
simonton

rewatch his throws at Chattanooga. Pretty obvious, was not throwing into double and triple coverage. Was putting the ball on the money except for the short throw that skipped to the WR.
Your definition of "on the money" is different than mine. I will say that I hope you are right about his vision and that he can help us at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back