Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to see Maurer have to work through multiple drives when they aren’t scripted beforehand. That’ll tell us what we need to know. (Not totally fair this week against that defense.)
He and Shrout both need to be tested out. We know where JG is.

Its a defeatist attitude but they need to find a guy they can coach around for State, SC, UAB, UK, Mizzou and Vandy, using the UGA and Bama games.

Reactions: rekinhavoc
you are talking about changing a throwing motion (Tim Tebow). Shrouts issue isn’t throwing motion it is just getting the ball down instead of letting it sail. Those are not good comparisons lol. Good try, also if teaching read progressions and discipline were so easy JG would be really good right now.
So just because JG is who he is in year 4 means that Maurer is a lost cause as a true freshman?

For sure. We need to see him.

I do agree with chizzle that the eye test tells me Shrout is the guy if he gets his issues fixed - but there’s a reason Maurer passed him in the coaches eyes. There’s something there.

I think the staff likes Maurers dual threat ability. I’m not saying Maurer won’t be good but as far as vision goes Shrout has that right now and I do like his quickness getting the ball out. (Shrout hasn’t had a chance with the 1s and I think that would fix some of his timing issues) It’ll be interesting both QBs have the ability to be good.

Reactions: Smyrna ATL Vol
For sure. We need to see him.

I do agree with chizzle that the eye test tells me Shrout is the guy if he gets his issues fixed - but there’s a reason Maurer passed him in the coaches eyes. There’s something there.

Yeah that's where I'm at, not saying Shrout is bad or anything. Just not sure I'm ready to give up on Maurer...part of that I guess is also the assumption that if either is likely to bail on us it'll be the Helton California recruit, but who knows.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
Unless he vastly improved his vision all of the sudden I don’t see how you start him. It is easier to fix Shrouts delivery than it is to fix Maurers vision. But you are probably right.....
You think JG’s vision is anything to write home about? We have a 3 years display of Guarantano’s pocket presents...and we have a verdict on Maurer’s short sample size?

You think JG’s vision is anything to write home about? We have a 3 years display of Guarantano’s pocket presents...and we have a verdict on Maurer’s short sample size?

Lol 😂 all I am saying is Maurers vision right now isn’t as good as Shrouts per game footage. (I think both Shrout and Maurer could be really good)

JGs vision sucks. I would expect to see Shrout vs Georgia.... but like the others are saying there is a reason Maurer was ahead of Shrout. I believe they like Maurers dual threat ability. (He can easily fix his issues, but so can Shrout.... so it’ll be interesting)

many buildings are beautiful till the moment the foundation betrays it and it comes crashing down

but at least we had a view.
PaltryFailingAxolotl-size_restricted.gif

If we had the JG of last year, we're 3-1 right now. It's not some big secret that he played well last year, and awful this year. Hopefully he got it figured out during the bye week. I think you give him the start Saturday, and see if he's figured it out. If he comes out and plays awful, you give the ball to Maurer the rest of the year and don't look back.
it wasn't even that he played well...it's just that he didn't play terrible....JG was a question mark going into and coming out of last season, just like the OL, WR, TE, and RB's....

there is a big difference in what he was asked to do last year, vs. what was expected of him this year. there's a big difference in what role he as the QB was supposed to play this season vs. last.

he simply wasn't asked to do a whole lot last year. even in his biggest games, the best ball he threw most consistently was the jump ball. he was very efficient in the short/intermediate pass game. he was not the most accurate guy, and he didn't see things all that great last year, especially pre snap....he was asked to be a game manager, and not lose the game with turnovers, so that's how they managed him....the big question was were they managing him that way because he wasn't good enough but to be managed that way....or.... was it because of how limited he was going to be due to the O Line and the rest of the offense? by the end of the season, i think it was safe to say the anser was "yes" on all accounts....

this year, he's making checks, he's calling protections, he's got authority to change plays, and he's been expected to read defense and go thru progressions to make plays down field...

he hasn't been able to do that....but it's not because of the limitations of those around him this year.

so yeah, all things being equal this year, you take the efficient JG from last year paired with the oline, TE, WR and RB's from this year, and i would bet a pay check we win 6 or 7 games last year/this year. remember, last year's O line made some catastrophic mistakes in multiple games....they were the reason we lost some games, especially early on....they've improved light years from that.........

i think it's fair to say that most of the rest of the offense took a step forward, where the QB didn't....but make no mistake, they asked and expected him to take that step........

worse yet, he gave them no indication throughout the off season that he wouldn't......or wasn't capable of it.

hope he figures it out or they figure out how to maximize whatever he can do the rest of the season.

Last edited:
I may need to rewatch JT's 9 passing attempts against UTC....the fact Maurer was also facing a much better defense in Florida should be taken into account.

I remember JT's first pass was an INT that got called back though, and I'm honestly just worried that whatever lead to him having 1:1 TD to INT ratio in HS hasn't been resolved.

Maurer forced a few for sure though, don't know if it was poor vision, inexperience, trying to make something happen, or what though.

I may need to rewatch JT's 9 passing attempts against UTC....the fact Maurer was also facing a much better defense in Florida should be taken into account.

I remember JT's first pass was an INT that got called back though, and I'm honestly just worried that whatever lead to him having 1:1 TD to INT ratio in HS hasn't been resolved.

Maurer forced a few for sure though, don't know if it was poor vision, inexperience, trying to make something happen, or what though.

I don’t think Shrout has had a fair shake he hasn’t thrown to the 1s in any game. (A few of his passes were dropped) That said I think Maurer was just trying to do too much. He just needs to relax back there and take what the defense gives him.

I don’t think Shrout has had a fair shake he hasn’t thrown to the 1s in any game. (A few of his passes were dropped) That said I think Maurer was just trying to do too much. He just needs to relax back there and take what the defense gives him.
I wondered if his first series was scripted. It's when they went off script the gravity of playing in the swamp hit him.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
Looking at the portal now:

Peyton Powell - Baylor, DT 6'2" 180lbs 4* FR
Jack Sears - USC, PRO 6'3" 205lbs 4* SO
Lindsey Scott - Mizzou/Nicholls State, PRO 5'11" 210lbs 3* JR
Jack Haener - Fresno State/Washington, PRO 6'0" 193lbs 3* SO
Keytaon Thompson - Miss State, DT 6'4" 225lbs 4* JR
Cade Fortin - UNC, PRO 6'3" 220lbs 3* FR

Idk about rumblings on anyone else. I'd be happy with Thompson, Sears, or maybe Powell.
if you could get him elligible...i'd take that kid. i liked him a lot, and at times thought he was better than fitzgerald last year. still surprised Moorehead passed on him tbh.

Reactions: SoilVol
Here's my question about practice. Why not go full out and let the QB get hit in practice? At least make him feel uncomfortable in practice. Just makes sense to me.
This is exactly what the coaches should have done in the bye week. Who knows .. maybe the coaches did allow the QBs to be live this past week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back