Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with this if we're talking getting back to SEC East contention, but if we're talking decent records and bowl games, Butch got there in 2 years. If Butch could do it in 2, there are other guys that could have gotten us to a bowl game in their 2nd season.
this.
everyone constantly compares us with the top dogs. We’re need to get back to being in the middle of the pack first. Then we can talk about the others.

Florida showed you how quickly you can come back from a 4 win season with the right coach.

Here's the kicker though. Our best players will be sophomores with the exception of a couple from Pruitts first class. We're still going to be in a bad situation and will have to play a bunch of true freshmen again next season.
Heres the thing, if you think you want to compete with Ga and Bama, especially on the LOS, you gotta keep Pruitt, hope he recruits well enough to reconstitute them. Trick is suffering through a year like this when you don't have a playmaker at QB to mask those LOS deficiencies while you are going through the growing pains. Patience is a virtue, and I think most Vol fans are sick of waiting till next season. They think we could've been better this if we'd just settled for a Doeren. Even though that would mean we would never get close to going to Playoffs or SECC. So if Pruitt only wins one more game, its going to be tough to stave off the wolves at the door. To keep his job I think he has to beat Vandy and one other game. Bare minimum.

hell no lol.

If he can’t win one sec game in this god awful bottom half sec this year then he can go back to being an elementary school gym teacher.
Yeah I think you gotta give him this and next year regardless and then evaluate. That is unless if he goes 1-11 this year, he has to go ASAP

Due to the lack of talent and good teams across the latter third of our schedule, I’ve stepped back and decided it is more likely Pruitt survives and is given the time to figure this thing out. However, that sword cuts both ways. This schedule is a weak as it has ever been - if we only win two or three games then it is the worst coaching job imaginable.

It feels to me like we’ll win 4 or maybe even 5 games if Maurer or Shrout turns out to be good. That’ll get him to next year - where getting to a bowl game should be the minimum expectation. That’s a low bar with 80%+ of his own players - but it is what it is.

I agree wholeheartedly that it is best for the program for Pruitt to figure this thing out and we all hope like hell it works out that way. But the worst thing that can happen isn’t a coaching change - it’s letting this thing linger when you could’ve been a step ahead. The minute it is decided he isn’t the guy (if it happens this way) they have to pull the trigger.

If he finishes this year with 2 wins its a complete disaster and theres no way to spin it any other way. Dropping games to Vandy and UK tells me that not only are they a bad football team, they got no better from start to finish. And while he may still keep his job for another year I don't think he can recover from that.
And while some think its already a disaster if he can get them to 5 with where they were after Ga St. thats improvement. 5-7 shouldn't make anybody happy or conclude anything long term. But it does give you something to sell. Theres no reason to keep him after the 3rd year if he's less than a bowl.

Heres the thing, if you think you want to compete with Ga and Bama, especially on the LOS, you gotta keep Pruitt, hope he recruits well enough to reconstitute them. Trick is suffering through a year like this when you don't have a playmaker at QB to mask those LOS deficiencies while you are going through the growing pains. Patience is a virtue, and I think most Vol fans are sick of waiting till next season. They think we could've been better this if we'd just settled for a Doeren. Even though that would mean we would never get close to going to Playoffs or SECC. So if Pruitt only wins one more game, its going to be tough to stave off the wolves at the door. To keep his job I think he has to beat Vandy and one other game. Bare minimum.
Don’t agree with the first part. Pruitt has shown nothing to suggest he has the only blueprint to SEC contention. Butch had us much closer to competing with (and beating) the teams you mentioned.

Agree on the last half. The bare minimum we HAVE TO see moving forward is beating Vandy and UAB. And honesty I need us to beat a team we don’t have a total talent advantage over. Kentucky, South Carolina and Mississippi State are all beatable. Get one of those.

Reactions: maotai
When he did put the backup QB in, he wasn't much better if at all.
Unpopular but accurate. Re-watched every one of his snaps from this year and the only legit argument for starting him is "for the future".

The one good drive against Fl looks like the - throwing a new quarterback at them, phase. The following two drives were much more his norm. And that's hard to say because I'm begging for an alternative.

Ya know was thinking...after the conversation about keeping Fulmer.

I will say that despite Kiffin & staff being great recruiters, I'm not too sure even they were recruiting to the SEC as well as Fulmer (had he stayed) would have been doing. So the lack of "SEC talent" began there imo. Just went down, Butch manages to find a few gems still but nothing near as deep or motivated as needed.

Really believe Fulmer wanted a HC and staff that had recruited the SEC and done so at a high level.

We're not hiring a new coach. You guys can stop wasting your time with that topic. Please.

What we need is a transfer QB. Think of how different the season would be going had we landed Hurts, Fields, Eason, or Bryant. We'd be 3-1 if not 4-0 and the outlook on Pruitt and this team would be way different. That's what we need for next year. I love Bailey, but I'd rather not play a freshman if we don't have to, especially when we play OU next year. We need to do what OU did this year: bring in a difference making transfer and redshirt Bailey like they are Rattler so that he can develop, mature, and learn the system.

Is there one out there that anyone knows of that might be looking around? A former big time recruit who didn't win the starting job as a freshman like Fields? Or a really good QB that just got beat out by a superstar like Bryant? Bentley is probably transferring from SC. Not an elite QB, but better than anyone we have imo. Jack Sears is transferring from USC. Is he any good? Are there any more?

Landing a big time transfer QB could really change what this team is capable of in 2020.

We're not hiring a new coach. You guys can stop wasting your time with that topic. Please.

What we need is a transfer QB. Think of how different the season would be going had we landed Hurts, Fields, Eason, or Bryant. We'd be 3-1 if not 4-0 and the outlook on Pruitt and this team would be way different. That's what we need for next year. I love Bailey, but I'd rather not play a freshman if we don't have to, especially when we play OU next year. We need to do what OU did this year: bring in a difference making transfer and redshirt Bailey like they are Rattler so that he can develop, mature, and learn the system.

Is there one out there that anyone knows of that might be looking around? A former big time recruit who didn't win the starting job as a freshman like Fields? Or a really good QB that just got beat out by a superstar like Bryant? Bentley is probably transferring from SC. Not an elite QB, but better than anyone we have imo. Jack Sears is transferring from USC. Is he any good? Are there any more?

Landing a big time transfer QB could really change what this team is capable of in 2020.
If we win anything less than 4 games there’s as good a chance Tee or Phil is head coach in 2020 as Jeremy Pruitt. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that. Gotta get to four wins and it’s very doable.

You’re right about the transfer route on the QB. And that guy might already be on campus. Kasim Hill would theoretically be at the top of the transfer market if he were healthy.

Don’t agree with the first part. Pruitt has shown nothing to suggest he has the only blueprint to SEC contention. Butch had us much closer to competing with (and beating) the teams you mentioned.

Agree on the last half. The bare minimum we HAVE TO see moving forward is beating Vandy and UAB. And honesty I need us to beat a team we don’t have a total talent advantage over. Kentucky, South Carolina and Mississippi State are all beatable. Get one of those.
Beat them all. We have to start showing recruits that we can out coach teams with comparable talent and we just need talent to take the next step. It will get the bad GA ST loss out of our heads. If we can find a way to a bowl game, recruiting will take off, Pruitt will get the fan base back, and we can have hope for the future. This is why he needs to bench JG the most. He folds under pressure and all of those games will be close. We need someone who isn’t scared and can pick the team up when they get down. We can not afford to win two games. We have to win some games down the road.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
If we win anything less than 4 games there’s as good a chance Tee or Phil is head coach in 2020 as Jeremy Pruitt. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that. Gotta get to four wins and it’s very doable.

You’re right about the transfer route on the QB. And that guy might already be on campus. Kasim Hill would theoretically be at the top of the transfer market if he were healthy.
@HankHill

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Attention Legion of the Miserable!!

I will be returning to Knoxville for the first time since the Southern Miss game in '07. 2007 is the last time we won the east. By attending the UGA slaughter on Saturday, I will break the curse that has plagued our beloved Vols for the past 12 years. I will be in section PP with the other peasants who probably also overpaid for their tickets.

Since the game is at 7, where is the best area to hang out on Saturday before the game? Just two adults, so breweries or restaurants. Is the Mouse's Ear still around? Also, is it easy to Uber/Lyft on gameday? Don't want to drive around if we've been drinking. TIA.

2018: 153/246 (62%), 12TD/3INT, 7.8ypa, 158ypg
2019: 60/93 (64%), 7TD/4INT, 7.9ypa, 184ypg,
You do realize those are decent stats, right? That puts him 6th in the sec by qbr, 1 pt behind Kelly. 5th in YPA. But that's because box stats don't encapsulate how many misses he's had this year that were just bad or inaccurate or could have been intercepted.

Thus, Ubben's stats about his overall decrease in accuracy and decrease in PFF ratings, which look at actual throw quality, not just box stats, and all say he has regressed from decent/good to poor.

Reactions: Vols4us
I'm not saying Mauer is the guy or that he gives us a better chance than JG, but to those of you saying his performance at Florida wasn't great and that's completely fair let me ask you these two things. How many reps did he get with the one's prior to the Florida game and did he know he was gonna play at any point in the game other than a JG injury? Once again I'm not saying he's the guy, but it's hard to judge him based him going into a game cold against a top 10 team on the road which happens to be one of the tougher places to play in the country, with teammates that he's had very limited reps with.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
Kasim Hill in 2017 had 12 attempts for 60 rushing yards. In 2018 he had 40 attempts for -15 yards. He isn't mobile. In 2018, when he was the starter, he had a 49% completion percentage throwing for 9 TDs and 4 INTs. He isn't our hope here. He's a walk on for a reason.

and that was before the 2 acl tears. I agree he is nothing but a added body in the room.

Reactions: Bassmaster_Vol
Based on purchasing the shirt from a source where no proceeds went towards the anti bullying cause.
I could only assume a terrible person would do that. It was a joke that didn’t really land well, especially when I have to explain it
1569949757094.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back