Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m 2/3 of the way there with you, bud. Lifelong Dolphins fan, and I’m in my 50s so I remember when that was good. But I’m also a lifelong Dodgers fan so I’ve got a bit of a bipolar thing happening.

But fwiw, as the defending champ in my fantasy league I’m now sitting 0-4, and I just crashed and burned out of my NFL suicide pool in Week 4. And if the Dodgers lose a third consecutive WS, that will be a special, confusing kind of pain.
Least i have that. Im a combined 7-1 in my two fantasy leagues. Virtual opposite of my two top sports teams lol

I understand your thoughts about Chaney. I just have the opinion the offensive scheme and play calling has been more than adequate so far. I don’t know why JG isn’t seeing the field and I’m not a qb, but it’s painfully obvious he’s late to open receivers, and also flat out missing wide open guys. Chaney seems to have really improved our offensive line and run game so I agree it’s weird that he hasn’t gone off this year with his excuse out of the way. Maybe he’s always been this way we just thought it was the line, and maybe we just have really good receivers who can snatch the ball on the 50-50 throws.

He also locks onto his primary and doesnt get through his progressions. That kid at florida hadn't played a meaningful snap in years and immediately was looking off safeties and getting to his second and third guy vs Kentucky. Some guys just dont have "it". With JG at this point, that seems obvious and there just isn't anything coaching can do about it. Would love to be wrong and he comes out gangbusters vs UGA and we end up winning 4 or 5 games down the stretch, there's just no indication that's even possible at this point.

I don't hate the idea of focusing on in state. There's a few advantages...we're not as elite as some states in talent, but TN has really came a long way. It's less travel for recruiting and more efficient. A good number of the kids regardless of how bad we've been are UT fans already, especially those in k-town. You're likely going to get that "not on my watch" attitude because they'll have a bit more pride involved every home game from knowing far more friends/family are watching than some kids from the west coast.

Plus we're terrible right now and it's hard to pull 5 stars from California or Texas when we haven't shown that on the field improvement yet.

So a few other in state guys we can hopefully flip/land. (left off those already committed or we "have" per 247 crystal ball)

Reggie Grimes
Omari Thomas
Darin Turner
Bryn Tucker
(plays with Cooper and Baron, big time get if we can somehow flip him)
Marcus Henderson
Martavius French
Bryson Eason

Elijah Young
De'Arre McDonald
Tre'vonn Rybka
Dallas Walker
Devyn Curtis (good size and an ILB, Vandy is the favorite here but we need the depth and he's likely a smart kid)
Graham Barton
Antonio Stevens
Drew Francis

4 stars
Rybka isn't flipping. He hates UT.

Reactions: jakez4ut
Pruitt needs to be carful focusing on instate guys if that’s his plan to weather the storm of losses so to speak.

The negativity around the program is the loudest in state. I’d focus out of state if I was him.

Sure, but then lets take out ETSU from last year because that was an even worse beating:
'18: 62%, 194ypg, 7.5ypa
'19: 62%, 203ypg, 7.2ypa

How about just Florida '18 vs '19?
'18: 7/18, 164y, 0/2 TD/INT
'19: 10/17, 124y, 0/2

Uncanny!

He definitely shows up for big Florida game yearly

I can't remember. I think it involved defensive lineman from Mississippi but I could be wrong. OCI coined the term if I recall correctly.

Alright, y'all. Let's do this. VN Recruiting Hall of Shame.

How about about Sab's open letter to Scroggins? That happened, right? That's got to be up on the list with OCI's Three Musketeers.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
It just looks worse because last year it was easy to blame the offensive line.

When you remove that excuse, you see what he can really do.

But with all that said, I thought for sure Chaney would’ve done something to make him more comfortable. That hasn’t been the case at all.

There isn't anything that can be done to make him more comfortable. He is what he is. We all hoped Chaney could change it, probably he thought he could as well. The opposing DC's have the book on him and watch what we watch with professional football educated eyes. To win the team around JG has to elevate to compensate for him. Pruitt pegging his professional future on playing the guy is what blows my mind.

LOL was just researching Sling TV as a cheaper alternative to YTTV or Hulu+Live for getting Tennessee games, and this is what is on their page:
1569938345618.png

Pruitt needs to be carful focusing on instate guys if that’s his plan to weather the storm of losses so to speak.

The negativity around the program is the loudest in state. I’d focus out of state if I was him.
While I don’t have an issue with building the foundation of any recruiting class with instate talent, it seems like it would waste the supposed advantage that Pruitt and this staff bring with him - we’re paying all this money to get talent that a cheaper and frankly better coaching staff could have a good success rate with.

Reactions: crazyguy
While I don’t have an issue with building the foundation of any recruiting class with instate talent, it seems like it would waste the supposed advantage that Pruitt and this staff bring with him - we’re paying all this money to get talent that a cheaper and frankly better coaching staff could have a good success rate with.
True, but I’m not trying to beat my head against that wall if it isn’t working.

These guys were supposed to be able to pull top talent from Alabama and Georgia. They’ve done a fine job in Georgia for sure.

But now it’s time to close ranks and keep our talent in state.

True, but I’m not trying to beat my head against that wall if it isn’t working.

These guys were supposed to be able to pull top talent from Alabama and Georgia. They’ve done a fine job in Georgia for sure.

But now it’s time to close ranks and keep our talent in state.
Again, I think there’s a lot to like about that. But if we are doing that, what the hell exactly is this staff bringing to the table?

Again, I think there’s a lot to like about that. But if we are doing that, what the hell exactly is this staff bringing to the table?
I get that - it’s all been disappointing. It hasn’t been what we thought it would be.

But now we’re talking about what is the best path forward. These guys are just trying to survive. And that means focusing recruiting on guys you think you can sign and doing whatever you can to win as many games as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back