Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know HankHill has it beaten into everyones head that JG was better last year but it's just not the case. This is who he is. He had one monster game of 50/50 plays versus Auburn, but still:

2018: 153/246 (62%), 12TD/3INT, 7.8ypa, 158ypg
2019: 60/93 (64%), 7TD/4INT, 7.9ypa, 184ypg,

Heck, even his RsFr stats are inline with that (62%, 7.2ypa). That's 25 games of data and nearly 500 pass attempts saying this is who he is. I can't think of anyone "figuring it out" after that much time. (Crompton had roughly 200 attempts before "figuring it out" under Chaney and Kiffin).
It just looks worse because last year it was easy to blame the offensive line.

When you remove that excuse, you see what he can really do.

But with all that said, I thought for sure Chaney would’ve done something to make him more comfortable. That hasn’t been the case at all.

But with all that said, I thought for sure Chaney would’ve done something to make him more comfortable. That hasn’t been the case at all.
Chaney is yet another different offense for JG. The fact that he isn't one of the prior 2 OC inherently makes him uncomfortable.

And if we hypothetically got a new OC next year, JG would look even worse. He's not smart enough to learn and internalize new offenses. If he'd been with the same decent OC 3 years in a row, he'd probably be pretty good. That's why he's regressing imo, that and ptsd from being blasted so often due to a terrible OL the last couple years.

Reactions: OrangenSC
There are just some different birds in the FF.
there is a thread about checkering Bryant Denny Stadium.

I’ve not opened it, and I’m not sure what angle the humor is going for there but I can’t even imagine
Without clicking on the thread, I’m guessing the OP is that 140 guy? Bryce Thompson isn’t expelled so his new purpose in life is this weird humor over UGA fans checkering Neyland. 😴

After watching my bengals fall to 0-4 for the 8th time since 1991 (worst in the NFL during that span) and seeing my two orange clad favorite teams fall to a combined 1-7... i gotta know... is there any sports fan on here more miserable than me?

Bengals fan- last playoff win was 1990, the year i was born. No superbowl wins (thanks Joe) , bottom of the NFL in alltime in win %, great players in spots, most od which left because they hated the owners.

Reds fan- Last time they won the world series was 1990 (again, the year i was born) awful for most of if not all my life. Somehow found a way to kill Griffeys career, wasted Vottos, always shows promise then falls apart.

Vols- enough said. Barely remember the 98 season, 2001 was the earliest season i can recall. Downhill since.

Utah Jazz fan- got to watch Malone and Stockton never win a ring (thanks Jordan) havent dont anything since.

I feel like im the curse. The only happiness ive had in sports my entire life was being a huge fan of Manning and Favre (even he had 0 real success in the years i can remember, i cant remember his SB or MVPs) or maybe its my fathers fault since he raised me to be fans of these teams. I just wish somebody would be good for once.

TLDR: drunk rant about my miserable sports life since birth.

I’m 2/3 of the way there with you, bud. Lifelong Dolphins fan, and I’m in my 50s so I remember when that was good. But I’m also a lifelong Dodgers fan so I’ve got a bit of a bipolar thing happening.

But fwiw, as the defending champ in my fantasy league I’m now sitting 0-4, and I just crashed and burned out of my NFL suicide pool in Week 4. And if the Dodgers lose a third consecutive WS, that will be a special, confusing kind of pain.

Chaney is yet another different offense for JG. The fact that he isn't one of the prior 2 OC inherently makes him uncomfortable.

And if we hypothetically got a new OC next year, JG would look even worse. He's not smart enough to learn and internalize new offenses. If he'd been with the same decent OC 3 years in a row, he'd probably be pretty good. That's why he's regressing imo, that and ptsd from being blasted so often due to a terrible OL the last couple years.
I understand that line of thinking, but being on campus for his 4th year as a QB, he should be a much more competent THROWER.

Yeah, much like Crompton, we’ll never know what the true/best version of JG looks like.

Which is why I’m in favor of more relaxed transfer rules - especially after a coaching change. Tennessee did Jarret Guarantano no favors. He may have never been good - we don’t know.

Reactions: jave36
I know HankHill has it beaten into everyones head that JG was better last year but it's just not the case. This is who he is. He had one monster game of 50/50 plays versus Auburn, but still:

2018: 153/246 (62%), 12TD/3INT, 7.8ypa, 158ypg
2019: 60/93 (64%), 7TD/4INT, 7.9ypa, 184ypg,

Heck, even his RsFr stats are inline with that (62%, 7.2ypa). That's 25 games of data and nearly 500 pass attempts saying this is who he is. I can't think of anyone "figuring it out" after that much time. (Crompton had roughly 200 attempts before "figuring it out" under Chaney and Kiffin).
take out UTC numbers. They were a high school school team then tell me what you got.

Reactions: Vols4us
I understand that line of thinking, but being on campus for his 4th year as a QB, he should be a much more competent THROWER.
Everything goes to crap when you are over thinking or confused. It's like butch's first year, that OL was elite, but when the scheme changed, they couldn't even do the basic fundamentals anymore.

I don't hate the idea of focusing on in state. There's a few advantages...we're not as elite as some states in talent, but TN has really came a long way. It's less travel for recruiting and more efficient. A good number of the kids regardless of how bad we've been are UT fans already, especially those in k-town. You're likely going to get that "not on my watch" attitude because they'll have a bit more pride involved every home game from knowing far more friends/family are watching than some kids from the west coast.

Plus we're terrible right now and it's hard to pull 5 stars from California or Texas when we haven't shown that on the field improvement yet.

So a few other in state guys we can hopefully flip/land. (left off those already committed or we "have" per 247 crystal ball)

Reggie Grimes
Omari Thomas
Darin Turner
Bryn Tucker
(plays with Cooper and Baron, big time get if we can somehow flip him)
Marcus Henderson
Martavius French
Bryson Eason

Elijah Young
De'Arre McDonald
Tre'vonn Rybka
Dallas Walker
Devyn Curtis (good size and an ILB, Vandy is the favorite here but we need the depth and he's likely a smart kid)
Graham Barton
Antonio Stevens
Drew Francis

4 stars

off-topic question

I'm trying to crowd fund a small short-film, any suggestions? I've debated putting a thread in the Pub...it isn't just some random film or anything, it has a purpose/cause pushing it. But at the same time it's not exactly like I'm asking for funds to help off-set a funeral or surgery so I'm a bit torn on putting up.

It has a GoFund me page and I've shared via my personal FB, but seems to have stalled at this point. So trying to think of other ways to push it.

Don’t know where you live, but the Nashville film festival is about to start on Oct. 3rd-12th. Good place to network and talk to producers about funding a short film. Maybe bring a short cut on your computer/iPad to give suitors a visual for what you’re pitching. Pretty sure throughout the weekly schedule they have meetings with producers/filmmakers looking for funding. Worth a shot. Good luck!

I understand your thoughts about Chaney. I just have the opinion the offensive scheme and play calling has been more than adequate so far. I don’t know why JG isn’t seeing the field and I’m not a qb, but it’s painfully obvious he’s late to open receivers, and also flat out missing wide open guys. Chaney seems to have really improved our offensive line and run game so I agree it’s weird that he hasn’t gone off this year with his excuse out of the way. Maybe he’s always been this way we just thought it was the line, and maybe we just have really good receivers who can snatch the ball on the 50-50 throws.

Reactions: SmokinBob
Also I’ve learned that completion % is a horrible metric when evaluating QBs.

From 2018:
2:Kirk cousins
5:Derek carr
6: mariota

All three of them are mediocre at their very best.

16:mahomes
18:Brady
19:r Wilson
26: a Rodgers

There’s nothing wrong with an incomplete pass.

I don't hate the idea of focusing on in state. There's a few advantages...we're not as elite as some states in talent, but TN has really came a long way. It's less travel for recruiting and more efficient. A good number of the kids regardless of how bad we've been are UT fans already, especially those in k-town. You're likely going to get that "not on my watch" attitude because they'll have a bit more pride involved every home game from knowing far more friends/family are watching than some kids from the west coast.

Plus we're terrible right now and it's hard to pull 5 stars from California or Texas when we haven't shown that on the field improvement yet.

So a few other in state guys we can hopefully flip/land. (left off those already committed or we "have" per 247 crystal ball)

Reggie Grimes
Omari Thomas
Darin Turner
Bryn Tucker
(plays with Cooper and Baron, big time get if we can somehow flip him)
Marcus Henderson
Martavius French
Bryson Eason

Elijah Young
De'Arre McDonald
Tre'vonn Rybka
Dallas Walker
Devyn Curtis (good size and an ILB, Vandy is the favorite here but we need the depth and he's likely a smart kid)
Graham Barton
Antonio Stevens
Drew Francis

4 stars
Our rebuild should have always been focused on in state kids. Maybe the talent isn’t there - but besides a few guys we’re not pulling elite talent right now anyway.

Get some guys in here with some pride in the Orange. That lays your foundation.

Reactions: Vols4us
Yeah, much like Crompton, we’ll never know what the true/best version of JG looks like.

Which is why I’m in favor of more relaxed transfer rules - especially after a coaching change. Tennessee did Jarret Guarantano no favors. He may have never been good - we don’t know.
Yea he’s had bad luck but idk how good he would’ve fit in butchs offense either tho. He’s not mobile at all. Butch loved double moves, he can’t hit deep shots consistently.

Yea he’s had bad luck but idk how good he would’ve fit in butchs offense either tho. He’s not mobile at all. Butch loved double moves, he can’t hit deep shots consistently.
He didn’t seem happy with Butch either so there’s something to that.

He made a mistake taking his dad’s word and coming down here to play for Butch.

take out UTC numbers. They were a high school school team then tell me what you got.

Sure, but then lets take out ETSU from last year because that was an even worse beating:
'18: 62%, 194ypg, 7.5ypa
'19: 62%, 203ypg, 7.2ypa

How about just Florida '18 vs '19?
'18: 7/18, 164y, 0/2 TD/INT
'19: 10/17, 124y, 0/2

Uncanny!

Reactions: SoilVol
Our rebuild should have always been focused on in state kids. Maybe the talent isn’t there - but besides a few guys we’re not pulling elite talent right now anyway.

Get some guys in here with some pride in the Orange. That lays your foundation.

I think it's more important with the hard cap 25 rule and ESD. I'd take the top 25 in state kids in a heartbeat...the average is 89.85 if you did take this year's top 25. Not too bad talent in-state, granted West TN is likely harder to pull from, but still if you've got the majority of the class from in state and then pull a few solid pipeline kids we'd be good still.

And would probably be a bit easier to do, just from the travel and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back