Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
With any coach in the county this was going to be a 4 year rebuild.
I think this is fair. The hardest part is recruiting, you can’t lose momentum. Butch started losing it when his coaching abilities and player treatment came into play... mix that with the whole injury and strength and conditioning.. well we are paying for those sins now.

Kirby had a loaded roster and underachieved first year, second year... overachieved and recruiting hasn’t slowed a bit.

Finishing strong this year would be our best hope to another strong class.

Next year we have to start doing something tangible to keep that momentum going.

If he can't next year do you give him a year 4? I'm not sure you do

No bowl next season and he needs to move on... I do think, however, if we stay healthy, there's no reason not to make a bowl next season. If we keep who's committed, add a few more quality guys, then with Gooden, Gibbs, etc back and playing, along with Hill and Bailey behind center, and an O line that should be improved, we should definitely win 6...
If we don't , then that tells me our staff cannot develop players and should hit the road...

Reactions: Smokeytom
sports channels ok on there?
Does YTV get all of the channels that have NCAAT?
I think you've both had your question answered. I pulled up my channel guide (I do have some channels hidden because I would never watch anything on them) and for sports/nccat:

SECN
ACCN
ESPN
ESPN2
ESPNU
ESPN News
FS1
FS2
FS Southeast
FS South
NBC SN
NBA TV
MLB TV
BTN
CBS SN
Golf Channel
Olympic Channel
Tennis Channel
TBS
TNT
TRU TV

Another pretty cool feature is that you can customize your channel guide. So, after local channels, the ones that I listed above are in sequential order :)

No bowl next season and he needs to move on... I do think, however, if we stay healthy, there's no reason not to make a bowl next season. If we keep who's committed, add a few more quality guys, then with Gooden, Gibbs, etc back and playing, along with Hill and Bailey behind center, and an O line that should be improved, we should definitely win 6...
If we don't , then that tells me our staff cannot develop players and should hit the road...
Here's the kicker though. Our best players will be sophomores with the exception of a couple from Pruitts first class. We're still going to be in a bad situation and will have to play a bunch of true freshmen again next season.

Reactions: Pane di mais
QB play will be better if Bailey sticks.

But the weapons on offense absolutely disappear (I’m assuming Chandler goes pro.)

I don't think Chandler goes pro-- compared to other RB's that are coming out this year and numbers they are putting up, he is slightly above average right now

Just curious where the "too stubborn to make changes" thought comes from? Just the typical backup QB is the fan favorite, thing?

Because he's pulled, benched and replaced players at almost every position, fired coaches without hesitation and swapped several that he's kept.

I mean he's left no doubt anywhere except QB. And despite the mind numbing argument that the backups HAVE to be better, you know "because", real life suggests even that's way more than debatable. But nonetheless, every other position/staff says that description is completely inaccurate.

I agree and if we had better QB play since the start of the season would this even be a topic for discussion? We'd be 3-1 and probably in the Florida game till the end with a shot to win. Check the offensive stats from that game. We have one of the better wide receiving corps in the conference but can't get them the ball.

Reactions: chargervol
Here's the kicker though. Our best players will be sophomores with the exception of a couple from Pruitts first class. We're still going to be in a bad situation and will have to play a bunch of true freshmen again next season.

Yep I agree, but I am still of the belief that QB play, or lack thereof, has cost us two wins so far this season. We will be in a different and hopefully better situation at that position next season, so these true freshman who played all this season will be "vets"... Again, it comes down to player development, and we will see if this staff can do it... There should be a huge uptick in experienced, disciplined, sound football from these freshman next season who've played all year... unless our staff doesn't develop them... if they are still making bad mistakes, then we are in trouble.

I don’t think there’s any reason for Chandler to come back and put more hits on his body. It’s not like we’re competing for anything.

agree, but I don't think he's done enough to make a splash, getting NFL scouts attention yet that would merit getting drafted, unless he just wants to hope for a 5-6th round pickup coming in late...

Reactions: RiotVol
Just curious where the "too stubborn to make changes" thought comes from? Just the typical backup QB is the fan favorite, thing?

Because he's pulled, benched and replaced players at almost every position, fired coaches without hesitation and swapped several that he's kept.

I mean he's left no doubt anywhere except QB. And despite the mind numbing argument that the backups HAVE to be better, you know "because", real life suggests even that's way more than debatable. But nonetheless, every other position/staff says that description is completely inaccurate.
When he did put the backup QB in, he wasn't much better if at all.

Reactions: jakez4ut
BM will also have a 2nd spring with Chaney's system. Him, Bailey, JT, and Hill here for spring should be good competition.

Gibbs, Palmer, Keyton, Means, Montgomery, Tillman at WR as well as incoming
Ty (also think he returns unless he blows it wide up in the last 8 games), Gray, Jordan, Hodge incoming at RB

And I've liked what I've seen so far from Pope and Lowe as well as Fant and Warren at the TE group.

Once ya got a QB who can read a defense a bit faster and is willing to make his progressions before slinging it there might be a lot of firepower in this team offensively.

Last edited:
says the sensible fan. But with UT fans, this should be a 1 year rebuild. You just trade for players or add players via the waiver wire....boom. You are instantly better. With that said, I think that we are better across the board except at QB and Safety. We can work around safety. There is no way to work around the QB issue.

Reactions: OrangenSC
I don't think Chandler goes pro-- compared to other RB's that are coming out this year and numbers they are putting up, he is slightly above average right now

I don't think that decision is made til later, but with RBs their college numbers mean less now than they ever have. Combine and workout numbers have taken on more importance.

I agree with this if we're talking getting back to SEC East contention, but if we're talking decent records and bowl games, Butch got there in 2 years. If Butch could do it in 2, there are other guys that could have gotten us to a bowl game in their 2nd season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back