Reports of Locker Room Dissension

Not surprised. No leadership or confidence in the head coach is where it starts.

Lol, legions of the miserable are like pigs in mud right now.

Outside of this football team, I’m actually quite the optimist believe it or not. To the point that it gets on my wife’s nerves sometime.

But I will say: if you find pleasure in misery, there is an endless well to be had in Knoxville, Tennessee lol

Mauer was better than JG in a few aspects (he was not hesitant).... , but he is not a good passer right now.
1. locks in or his targets & Did not run through progressions at all. Easy pick 6's if not corrected.
2. Accuracy Issues

So, upgrade (perhaps), but not a long term answer.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
Mauer was better than JG in a few aspects (he was not hesitant).... , but he is not a good passer right now.
1. locks in or his targets & Did not run through progressions at all. Easy pick 6's if not corrected.
2. Accuracy Issues

And he will tuck and run if needed.

That is a big deal.

Outside of this football team, I’m actually quite the optimist believe it or not. To the point that it gets on my wife’s nerves sometime.

But I will say: if you find pleasure in misery, there is an endless well to be had in Knoxville, Tennessee lol
Lulz, I didn't mean to direct that at you. I mean, if you want to wear it, that's fine too. Haha.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Lulz, I didn't mean to direct that at you. I mean, if you want to wear it, that's fine too. Haha.

I’m definitely a negavol at this point. Just isn’t anything to be positive about. But it does make for interesting twitter and message board material. Like if you took the Jerry Springer show and turned it into a football program and a fan base.😂😂😂

We are officially that family in the neighborhood that has a broken washer and dryer on the front porch, un-cut grass, two cars sitting on flat tires and fights all the time. Lololol.

Let's go back to 2017 and remind ourselves that Jauan Jennings was kicked off the team for being angry about losing and venting about it. Yes, some have said "there's more to the story", but there's also less to it. The fact that very few players seemed to care about the struggles in 2017 (with guys like Jennings and Bituli being the exceptions) said a lot about the attitude of the team.

I don't think Butch ever dug too deep when recruiting players. He took a bunch of athletic prospects and hoped some of them worked out. This was a methodology that worked pretty well back in the 1970s when you could recruit 85 players in a single class (as Johnny Majors did at Pitt). Not so much in this era of 25 recruits. You can't have a 30% success rate in 2019 like you could in 1972. And it's worse today than it was in 2013 and 2014 when Butch took 30+ recruits in those first few classes.

Pruitt is ahead of the curve on this and Butch was behind it. Butch built a team of guys with athletic talent and sometimes they were great (Dobbs, Barnett, Kamara) and sometimes they completely lacked inner drive. Pruitt has been looking for guys with passion and determination who play hard. It's a culture clash. Albeit, there are some of the Butch recruits that fit into the Pruitt culture (Jennings, Bituli, D-Taylor, a few others), but you can definitely see a difference on the field.

Though, let's just be honest ... the QB situation was bound to cause controversy. We win that BYU game if JG plays like an average QB. We don't win Florida without a great QB, but we also don't get blown out by 31 points; that should've been a much closer game. Meanwhile, on the other sideline, say what you will about the Shark-Humper (i.e. Jim McElwain), but his staff found the #124 rated QB in the 2016 class and he looks like one of the best QBs in the SEC right now. Butch found a bunch of paper 4 stars that don't look so great when you dig beneath the surface.

I don't know if Pruitt will get it done or not, but I think people are deluding themselves if they think he was dealt great cards these first 2 years.

No one is claiming he was dealt a great hand. But we are regressing, not getting better. I can tolerate incremental small steps in the right direction, but we are going backwards fast

2. Accuracy Issues

I agree with your assessment on Maurer, but disagree on the conclusion.

JG is the better QB today. But most of JG's big issues right now are very difficult to coach (leadership, communication, inspiring confidence in teammates), whereas Maurer's weaknesses will likely be improved with more experience and coaching. One of the biggest issues with Maurer (other than the locking in on receivers) is that he seems to underestimate the size and speed of the defense. That feels like a "I'm used to playing against high school defenders" problem which can be fixed with more experience.

Maurer (like Dobbs) seems to be very good on the more difficult to coach areas, which is why I think he can potentially be very good. But he's young and inexperienced right now; he's clearly not ready, but we might not have a better option with the way things are going.

I'd be more worried if the weren't pissed off. There are about a thousand things to be concerned about with this team. QB play, transfers, lack of effort, and regression. The fact thst they're pissed off about being 1-3 is one of the few normal/positive signs I've seen out of this team.

My feelings as well. They better be PO'd. I don't expect wins against Georgia or Bama, but I expect this team to work through conflict and come together as a team in the next month. If they're 1-6 or 2-5 but have shown at least some progress towards playing as a unit with improvement and less mistakes, maybe you give the coaches a chance. Otherwise, well, I don't know what else people need to see at this point.

Last edited:
No one is claiming he was dealt a great hand. But we are regressing, not getting better. I can tolerate incremental small steps in the right direction, but we are going backwards fast

But are we going "backwards"? Right now, JG is regressing. I don't see a lot of other players regressing.

Defense looks much better than it did in Week 1. O-line blocking looks much better than it did in Week 1. I mostly see a team improving outside of the QB and maybe a few other players.

But are we going "backwards"? Right now, JG is regressing. I don't see a lot of other players regressing.

Defense looks much better than it did in Week 1. O-line blocking looks much better than it did in Week 1. I mostly see a team improving outside of the QB and maybe a few other players.

I don’t think the defense is getting better. Receivers were wide open in the middle of the field routinely against UF, continual problems getting lined up correctly, blown coverages, etc. JG has clearly regressed. Seems like JJ is the only legit target, but maybe that’s more on JJ. Most clearly though, our record has regressed. On field preparedness and intensity has regressed.

Reactions: 08Vol and Booker512
I don’t think the defense is getting better. Receivers were wide open in the middle of the field routinely against UF, continual problems getting lined up correctly, blown coverages, etc. JG has clearly regressed. Seems like JJ is the only legit target, but maybe that’s more on JJ. Most clearly though, our record has regressed. On field preparedness and intensity has regressed.

I disagree 100% on the defense.

That was the best run defense we've seen in at least 3 years. Yeah, we gave up too many passes in the middle, but then a large chunk of that was due to one player (Warrior). The refs deprived them of a huge 4th down stop at goal line, as well (Florida did not cross the line before knee was down). Defense created 3 (and almost 4) turnovers. Defense was "bend, don't break" and was mostly successful until they were completely exhausted from being out on the field too long. Offense gave Florida 10 points and the only reason it was that low was b/c D did its job.

Obvious areas for improvement, but the D played well enough to win that game if they got any help from the offense. If offense does its job, Florida only scores maybe 17 points. That's enough to win with a halfway competent offense.

JG appears to be regressing due to the play calls he is getting. Last year on most passing plays he was not given a choice - the play called for a pass to a particular receiver, or check-down. He was only asked to throw to the sidelines, down field jump ball or check-down (or an occassional RB or TE down the markers - behind the LBs). This year he is being tasked to read a defense (heaven forbid!) which he does poorly. These are 'new' demands which he does not do well with.

When Maurer entered the game against Florida, to my eye, the defense increased its intensity. Once JG returned the defense returned to business as usual. My sense is that JG is not well liked amongst the other players.

Maurer could certainly benefit with more 'seasoning' before given the starting role, but given present circumstances JG needs to go to the bench and both Maurer and Shrout given the opportunity to play no matter what. It is readily apparent there is only one more possible win with JG as QB.

Reactions: Tnslim1 and lifeVol
I disagree 100% on the defense.

That was the best run defense we've seen in at least 3 years. Yeah, we gave up too many passes in the middle, but then a large chunk of that was due to one player (Warrior). The refs deprived them of a huge 4th down stop at goal line, as well (Florida did not cross the line before knee was down). Defense created 3 (and almost 4) turnovers. Defense was "bend, don't break" and was mostly successful until they were completely exhausted from being out on the field too long. Offense gave Florida 10 points and the only reason it was that low was b/c D did its job.

Obvious areas for improvement, but the D played well enough to win that game if they got any help from the offense. If offense does its job, Florida only scores maybe 17 points. That's enough to win with a halfway competent offense.

UF had 441 yds of offense, over 300 of that through the air. That’s hardly getting it done in defense.

Reactions: 08Vol and Alto1
Yayyyy. Players leaving. Bout to have Georgia destroy our souls. Just got blown out by our primary rival. Head coach looks checked out. Athletic director might be too prideful to admit mistake.

Wooooo hoooooo
This is 110% on Fulmer now. He needs to own it. He is the worst man to have as AD....his EGO is so damn big it gets in the way of good judgement imo. He loves UT know doubt but he loves the Hell out of some Fulmer waaaayyyy more.

VN Store

Back