Reports of Locker Room Dissension

UF had 441 yds of offense, over 300 of that through the air. That’s hardly getting it done in defense.

Yep. And at least 10 of the points the D gave up came off turnovers. 130 of those yards came in the 4th Quarter when the D was clearly exhausted from being on the field too long.

Change that and the D gives up maybe 17 points, which is reasonable against a top 10 team.

You can't turn the ball over 4 times and expect the D to bail you out every time. Every D in the nation (except maybe Bama, which has 3rd stringers who are 5 stars) is going to look bad in those circumstances.

It's easy to think everyone is playing poorly when one part of the team is essentially sabotaging everything else. But I've seen a much improved defense these past 3 games playing mostly Freshmen and Sophomores.

JG appears to be regressing due to the play calls he is getting. Last year on most passing plays he was not given a choice - the play called for a pass to a particular receiver, or check-down. He was only asked to throw to the sidelines, down field jump ball or check-down (or an occassional RB or TE down the markers - behind the LBs). This year he is being tasked to read a defense (heaven forbid!) which he does poorly. These are 'new' demands which he does not do well with.

When Maurer entered the game against Florida, to my eye, the defense increased its intensity. Once JG returned the defense returned to business as usual. My sense is that JG is not well liked amongst the other players.

Maurer could certainly benefit with more 'seasoning' before given the starting role, but given present circumstances JG needs to go to the bench and both Maurer and Shrout given the opportunity to play no matter what. It is readily apparent there is only one more possible win with JG as QB.

I've heard that the defense really doesn't like JG, they set him up pretty nicely a couple times against UF and he crapped the bed.

UF had 441 yds of offense, over 300 of that through the air. That’s hardly getting it done in defense.

When you can't get pressure with your 4 down linemen you have to dial up the blitz packages which leaves you vulnerable on the backend.

I can remember 1 4th down and short we stopped them maybe a 2nd but I can't remember.

Plus you add in the fact that as the 1st half went on, JG could not sustain any drives and, well, that wears a defense down.

I disagree 100% on the defense.

That was the best run defense we've seen in at least 3 years. Yeah, we gave up too many passes in the middle, but then a large chunk of that was due to one player (Warrior). The refs deprived them of a huge 4th down stop at goal line, as well (Florida did not cross the line before knee was down). Defense created 3 (and almost 4) turnovers. Defense was "bend, don't break" and was mostly successful until they were completely exhausted from being out on the field too long. Offense gave Florida 10 points and the only reason it was that low was b/c D did its job.

Obvious areas for improvement, but the D played well enough to win that game if they got any help from the offense. If offense does its job, Florida only scores maybe 17 points. That's enough to win with a halfway competent offense.

Florida is horrific at running the football to the point that they barely even try it most games this year other than vs us and UT-Martin who didn't play Florida much worse than we did. They had 52 yards against a bad Miami team, and 136 against a bad Kentucky defense that gave up nearly 200 yards rushing to Toledo and 250 to Miss State last week. We "held" them to 129. But their passing game was carving us up like a Christmas goose. This wasn't a close game on either side of the football.

Reactions: 08Vol
But are we going "backwards"? Right now, JG is regressing. I don't see a lot of other players regressing.

Defense looks much better than it did in Week 1. O-line blocking looks much better than it did in Week 1. I mostly see a team improving outside of the QB and maybe a few other players.

Shhh... Doesn't fit the fire Pruitt narrative... Didn't you get the memo?

Best term used, and I think you used it, was a "clash of cultures". There are some players from Butch's "throw the 4-star against the wall and see if he sticks" classes that are simply not buying what Pruitt is selling, and it shows. I believe that as soon as there is a cohesive team with the same goals and work ethic in mind that things begin to improve exponentially.

I didn't watch the UF game. Did he scramble at all on his drive?

He had a few lanes at times.

One time he went to run on 3rd down and barely got tripped up by a diving UF Lineman. If he doesn't make that tackle, Maurer runs for a first down.

Another one, he threw a ball that got batted and he caught it and took off running. Had some room to maybe pick up a few yards, but a lineman and linebacker got him.

The Tennessee Vols’ 2019 season is off to a disastrous start.

Tennessee should be a 3-1 right now. Instead, the Vols are 1-3 and there’s a good chance they’ll soon be 1-6, with tough matchups against Georgia, Mississippi State and Alabama coming up in October.

Losing is never easy. I don’t know many ultra-competitive people that taking losing well.

So when a report of tension in the Vols’ locker room surfaces, it’s not exactly shocking.

On Monday, The Athletic reported that there was “a lot of tension” in the Tennessee locker room after the Vols’ loss to the Florida Gators.

According to the report, there were “multiple, loud disputes” after the game that centered around who deserved the blame for “several mistakes throughout the game”. The Athletic also noted that UT’s quarterback situation has “increased tensions”.

Dissension in the locker room is obviously never a good thing.

But I also don’t think it’s the end of the world. And I really don’t think it should bother Vol fans.

Losing isn’t fun. Tennessee’s players should be pissed off they’re losing. And they should be searching for answers. Pretending everything is great won’t solve anything.

This is a completely normal response to a 1-3 start. We’re talking about a locker room full of 18-22 year olds and their coaches. That’s a lot of people. Not everyone is going to see eye to eye. It’s just life. And adversity can bring out the best and the worst in people.

Maybe this means some of UT’s players leave the program. It’s certainly possible that some of the tension is between “Butch Jones recruited players” and “Jeremy Pruitt recruited players”.

Will some of the “Butch players” leave the program in the coming weeks?

I’d say there’s a good chance that happens.

And maybe it’s what needs to happen.

If there are players who aren’t all in at Tennessee, then it’s probably best that the program and those players part ways.

By the way, I don’t think The Athletic is trying to stoke the fire by reporting on the state of Tennessee’s locker room. I think this is just what journalists are supposed to do. And The Athletic provides quality journalism. It’s not their job to make everything appear perfect. It’s their job to inform.

But at the same time, I don’t think it’s a big deal. Locker room disputes happen. Most of the time we never hear a word about them. Only when a team is losing does it become a major story.

If Tennessee starts winning, it won’t matter who yelled at who.

I would be more concerned if they were not yelling some. Apathy would be the worse thing.

He had a few lanes at times.

One time he went to run on 3rd down and barely got tripped up by a diving UF Lineman. If he doesn't make that tackle, Maurer runs for a first down.

Another one, he threw a ball that got batted and he caught it and took off running. Had some room to maybe pick up a few yards, but a lineman and linebacker got him.
Sounds like that momentary hesitation common with young, inexperienced players allowed him to get tripped up a couple times. Hopefully he gets a bit more decisive and can elude the defenders more quickly.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
The Tennessee Vols’ 2019 season is off to a disastrous start.

Tennessee should be a 3-1 right now. Instead, the Vols are 1-3 and there’s a good chance they’ll soon be 1-6, with tough matchups against Georgia, Mississippi State and Alabama coming up in October.

Losing is never easy. I don’t know many ultra-competitive people that taking losing well.

So when a report of tension in the Vols’ locker room surfaces, it’s not exactly shocking.

On Monday, The Athletic reported that there was “a lot of tension” in the Tennessee locker room after the Vols’ loss to the Florida Gators.

According to the report, there were “multiple, loud disputes” after the game that centered around who deserved the blame for “several mistakes throughout the game”. The Athletic also noted that UT’s quarterback situation has “increased tensions”.

Dissension in the locker room is obviously never a good thing.

But I also don’t think it’s the end of the world. And I really don’t think it should bother Vol fans.

Losing isn’t fun. Tennessee’s players should be pissed off they’re losing. And they should be searching for answers. Pretending everything is great won’t solve anything.

This is a completely normal response to a 1-3 start. We’re talking about a locker room full of 18-22 year olds and their coaches. That’s a lot of people. Not everyone is going to see eye to eye. It’s just life. And adversity can bring out the best and the worst in people.

Maybe this means some of UT’s players leave the program. It’s certainly possible that some of the tension is between “Butch Jones recruited players” and “Jeremy Pruitt recruited players”.

Will some of the “Butch players” leave the program in the coming weeks?

I’d say there’s a good chance that happens.

And maybe it’s what needs to happen.

If there are players who aren’t all in at Tennessee, then it’s probably best that the program and those players part ways.

By the way, I don’t think The Athletic is trying to stoke the fire by reporting on the state of Tennessee’s locker room. I think this is just what journalists are supposed to do. And The Athletic provides quality journalism. It’s not their job to make everything appear perfect. It’s their job to inform.

But at the same time, I don’t think it’s a big deal. Locker room disputes happen. Most of the time we never hear a word about them. Only when a team is losing does it become a major story.

If Tennessee starts winning, it won’t matter who yelled at who.

I would be more concerned if they were not yelling some. Apathy would be the worse thing.

Mauer was better than JG in a few aspects (he was not hesitant).... , but he is not a good passer right now.
1. locks in or his targets & Did not run through progressions at all. Easy pick 6's if not corrected.
2. Accuracy Issues

So, upgrade (perhaps), but not a long term answer.
JT needs some more snaps to get over his first game jitters in the UTC game.

Reactions: tnvols72
Mauer was letting it fly quickly after the snap which was nice to see. Needs a little seasoning and hopefully he'll get better.

Reactions: malinoisvol
When are they gonna start winning? Sure as Hell not this year. By the way,it would be nice if some of Pruitt's players left also.
I will say this , Pruitts players are the only ones who are worth a damn besides Jennings and Bituli ,Callaway

Reactions: baburntt
I thought the team looked much more rejuvenated when Mauer was in. That’s just my opinion but I liked the urgency and frankly he completed the only scoring drive all day. We need to let him or Shrout have two weeks with the starters. Get some confidence and just go have fun. Georgia is a tall order, why not let them just go play. We should still be ready to try and beat state and the weaker SEC teams after Bama. Don’t quit, give our guys the best shot to win. Let mauer or Shrout play tough teams like Georgia and Bama. Doesn’t matter if we lose by 17 with JG or 37 with mauer. Play the guy who can lead the team.

What the hell would you call it?

You can have a team that loses FB games without individual players bing "losers."
Chandler, Smith, Bituli, Henry T., both Taylors on defense, etc...etc...etc.... are NOT LOSERS IMO.

We're not a very good football team...with multiple catastrophic breakdowns in assignments during parts of every game.

I was part of a 1-9 FB team where the same folks who called us losers in the fall called us winners in the Spring when we went 30-5 and made it to the final four in Baseball.
As much as I think JG is not a very good SEC QB--I would never call that young man a loser. And he indeed is not a loser.

Butch recruits, Pruitt recruits, whatever. Jennings and Callaway both have looked like they wanted to drop kick JG on the sidelines at times. Those guys are busting it on the field to get open and dont have time for whatever mental crisis JG is going through currently. Both have a chance to get drafted if JG can get them the damn ball.

Reactions: tnvols72 and 08Vol
JG appears to be regressing due to the play calls he is getting. Last year on most passing plays he was not given a choice - the play called for a pass to a particular receiver, or check-down. He was only asked to throw to the sidelines, down field jump ball or check-down (or an occassional RB or TE down the markers - behind the LBs). This year he is being tasked to read a defense (heaven forbid!) which he does poorly. These are 'new' demands which he does not do well with.

When Maurer entered the game against Florida, to my eye, the defense increased its intensity. Once JG returned the defense returned to business as usual. My sense is that JG is not well liked amongst the other players.

Maurer could certainly benefit with more 'seasoning' before given the starting role, but given present circumstances JG needs to go to the bench and both Maurer and Shrout given the opportunity to play no matter what. It is readily apparent there is only one more possible win with JG as QB.

You have got to be kidding me. The man misses guys wide open. Wide open. Need I say again? Wide ass open. He is clearly playing like he’s crushed mentally. If it weren’t for Jennings incredible athletic ability his stats would be much worse.

If you played on the defense you can’t tell me you’d be thrilled to continually kill your self for one person who can’t move the ball. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if at some point JG up and quit/left the team. He can’t take the heat from the coaches and now the team is most likely turning on him too. Could this mentality come from being babied? Most likely. Now that someone has asked him to sink or swim he can’t handle it.

Butch recruits, Pruitt recruits, whatever. Jennings and Callaway both have looked like they wanted to drop kick JG on the sidelines at times. Those guys are busting it on the field to get open and dont have time for whatever mental crisis JG is going through currently. Both have a chance to get drafted if JG can get them the damn ball.

Not sure about Callaway but Jennings can get draft with a sub par season. His attitude and ability are what coaches drool over

Reactions: MemphisVol77
We saw the game, we all know that locker room should have some fighting in it. Signs of life. It's about time.

Multiple loud disputes could very well mean losses about dumb penalties,lack of effort,or,tired of losing.Every argument does not mean dissention.But,for a Twitter or columnist hack who tries to make a crisis in any locker room or business,needs to change his wet ones.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
''UT's quarterback situation has increased tensions''. Interesting

This tells me that players have pegged a lot of the team’s struggles on QB play. They see JG jogging out there game after game and wonder why the coaches continue to play a QB that won’t help them win. If the coaches keep putting him out there, players will see no reason to give their all since they don’t think the coaches are doing the same.

JG continuing to start will destroy this team and our rookie head coach doesn’t realize it or know how to deal with it

This tells me that players have pegged a lot of the team’s struggles on QB play. They see JG jogging out there game after game and wonder why the coaches continue to play a QB that won’t help them win. If the coaches keep putting him out there, players will see no reason to give their all since they don’t think the coaches are doing the same.

JG continuing to start will destroy this team and our rookie head coach doesn’t realize it or know how to deal with it
I think part of it could be they dont want Maurer to get obliterated by Bama and Georgia. I dont think we can wait that long for a change though.

VN Store

Back