Pruitt wouldnt survive a 1-7 record.

If that’s what it takes to get him out of here I hope it happens. Before someone else realizes what hiring urban Meyer would do for the future of their program

Reactions: Booker512
Pruitt is here this year and next even if we go 1-7 to finish. Burn mattresses and kick puppies if you want, but he isn’t getting fired at the end of the year no matter what happens

Kick puppies? No don’t do that even if you want to. 😂

I only know one “connected” person in Knoxville.
He told me that if we lose the next 5, that the money people would pony up the buyout.
We have never started 1-7. That would be too big an embarrassment for our big donors.
Fulmer would be interim and they would go after a “proven power 5 winner”. (I laughed when he said that but he says you don’t know how angry Georgia State made them).

So, can we win one of these next 5:
At Florida
Georgia (after a bye week)
MSU
At Bama
USC

Pruitt has to just win one of those games and then get 2 more out of UAB, UK, MU, Vandy.
But, one of those two wins must be Vandy.
Our donors could, I’m told, live with 4-8 and 2 SEC wins if we don’t finish last in the East and Pruitt can hang onto Bailey and a decent 25-30 ranked recruiting class.

If we can somehow win tomorrow, the only sure losses left are UGA and Bama.
But, if we get our clocks cleaned by UF, we may just fall apart.

*** Many grains of salt needed, of course. This is just one guy. But, he’s not a liar and he’s a wealthy blue blood and travels in circles that I could never get anywhere.near.

Thank you this is very true. All these notions suggesting that he's guaranteed to get time are asinine. If Pruitt doesn't win, he will not stay.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
The only good that could come from firing Pruitt this season is the revival of the Gruden thread. Then the usual coaching search debacle ensues with all the "insiders" predicting big names and omg don't forget the plane trackers. Name one insider that predicted Dooley, Butch, Schiano, or Pruitt.
I wonder if John Gruden will be down in the Swamp tomorrow?:D

We have had several chances in the past 10 years to go after a "proven Power 5 winner" why would they wait until now? 1-7 shouldnt matter anymore than losing to GA st and BYU @ home IMO
But the timing has been terrible. For example, you have the opportunity to hire Dan Mullen the same year the UF job comes open. The AD at UF has a long relationship with Mullen and it’s also a bit of a homecoming.
Had UF retained shark humper or hired Kelly, I’m confident Mullen would be Coach here now. Further, the Schiano thing would’ve never happened.

Reactions: ProudVOLfan
If their only win is Chattanooga and no serviceable qb emerges - there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth but wailing and gnashing of teeth will ease up when basketball season starts up. Cannot afford buyout and do not need to be classified as a "coach's graveyard." Need to ride it out with Pruitt for at least 4 years. Jeremy at least will stockpile some talent like Orgeron did at Ole Miss. Legal stockpile actually.

If their only win is Chattanooga and no serviceable qb emerges - there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth but wailing and gnashing of teeth will ease up when basketball season starts up. Cannot afford buyout and do not need to be classified as a "coach's graveyard." Need to ride it out with Pruitt for at least 4 years. Jeremy at least will stockpile some talent like Orgeron did at Ole Miss. Legal stockpile actually.
If Tennessee does equally bad in 2019 and 2020 I think Tennessee bites the huge buyout bullet and shows Jeremy Pruitt the door in December 2020.

I only know one “connected” person in Knoxville.
He told me that if we lose the next 5, that the money people would pony up the buyout.
We have never started 1-7. That would be too big an embarrassment for our big donors.
Fulmer would be interim and they would go after a “proven power 5 winner”. (I laughed when he said that but he says you don’t know how angry Georgia State made them).

So, can we win one of these next 5:
At Florida
Georgia (after a bye week)
MSU
At Bama
USC

Pruitt has to just win one of those games and then get 2 more out of UAB, UK, MU, Vandy.
But, one of those two wins must be Vandy.
Our donors could, I’m told, live with 4-8 and 2 SEC wins if we don’t finish last in the East and Pruitt can hang onto Bailey and a decent 25-30 ranked recruiting class.

If we can somehow win tomorrow, the only sure losses left are UGA and Bama.
But, if we get our clocks cleaned by UF, we may just fall apart.

*** Many grains of salt needed, of course. This is just one guy. But, he’s not a liar and he’s a wealthy blue blood and travels in circles that I could never get anywhere.near.

I thought we were looking at 5-7 to 7-5 this year. You are seeing the caliber of player Pruitt wants in every player when you look at To’o’to’o (sp? 😂). I think he has some really good Freshman in him, Crouch, Gray, Wright, Harris and beyond. If they continue to perform and improve, he has a great recruiting pitch (much like Butch) that should allow him to build.

As for this year, 5-7 team is a team that loses a game like Georgia State if they walk in thinking past their opponent. That drops that same 5-7 team to 4-7 and that is what has happened. I really think we can beat MSU, UAB, Vandy. Kentucky, SC and Missouri??? Depends on which team shows up. But I think one of those is possible. There is your 5-7. Anything more than that should be a celebration. 4-6/5-7 buys him one more year. 6-6 or better should allow him to finish four years assuming he does at least 6-6 or 7-6 his third year. His fourth year should be at least 7-6 even with a young QB. Fifth year 8-10 wins or nothing/-8 ONLY if it looks like we should do something really special the next year and I think the coaches will all be given that chance one more year if it looks that way. If he gets 9-10 wins by his 5th year he will get an extension if the future looks bright.

We were probably a 6-6 team this year had we not had our heads up our butts against GSU. It happened but if he recovers to 5-7, it means we achieved our realistic potential the rest of the year.
You want a coach to improve every year. Another 5-7 team is not that. No matter what we will keep him one more year however.

Pruitt is not a quick fix coach, but he may be a long term guy.

Last edited:
I thought we were looking at 5-7 to 7-5 this year. You are seeing the caliber of player Pruitt wants in every player when you look at To’o’to’o (sp? 😂). I think he has some really good Freshman in him, Crouch, Gray, Wright, Harris and beyond. If they continue to perform and improve, he has a great recruiting pitch (much like Butch) that should allow him to build.

As for this year, 5-7 team is a team that loses a game like Georgia State if they walk in thinking past their opponent. That drops that same 5-7 team to 4-7 and that is what has happened. I really think we can beat MSU, UAB, Vandy. Kentucky, SC and Missouri??? Depends on which team shows up. But I think one of those is possible. There is your 5-7. Anything more than that should be a celebration. 4-6/5-7 buys him one more year. 6-6 or better should allow him to finish four years assuming he does at least 6-6 or 7-6 his third year. His fourth year should be at least 7-6 even with a young QB. Fifth year 8-10 wins or nothing. If he gets that, he will get a chance to continue coaching.

We were probably a 6-6 team this year had we not had our heads up our butts against GSU. Pruitt is not a quick fix coach, but he may be a long term guy.
I just can't see this team beating anyone else besides UAB and maybe Vanderbilt.

I just can't see this team beating anyone else besides UAB and maybe Vanderbilt.

You may be right. I am definitely being optimistic. He will be back regardless. We should have beaten BYU. If we stay healthy, I think we continue to get better. There are some great coaches on that team and some talent. I can see it both ways. Buckle your seatbelts but don’t expect much.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I am not worried about Pruitt losing his job. The only way he needs to worry is if we go winless the rest of the year. PF will give him another year no matter the record this year. Another coaches search is the last thing we need right now. This is going to take time.
Yeah they would need to fire fulmer as well. Not a bad thought but very unlikely.

If Tennessee starts off 1-7, I hope you're correct!

Sheesh. You think we are bad now? If Pruitt gets fired this year we are absolutely boned. Bailey? Gone. Many of our other good recruits? Gone. Even a chance in Hades that a proven winning coach would even consider the TN job? Gone.

Yeah let’s hope our 5th HC since 2009 will be the one. Good grief some of our fans are dumb.

VN Store

Back