Pruitt not benching JG. Says he’s the best QB on the roster

It’s decisions like these that have sunk our program to new lows. SMH.

Maurer made the Elite 11 QB Camp and finished #5 behind Bo Nix #1 who’s starting for Auburn as a true Frosh.

At least Malzahan was smart enough to recognize he was coaching for his job.
The ole elite 11 argument...

Playing 7v7 with no pass rush in shorts....

JG was late on throws and missed open recievers..
he left at least 21 points on the field..
he needs to trust his receivers and throw them open
where is his touch on the throws this year ? he throws a screen pass like 100mph

Ridiculous. Stands will be half empty. Players and fans could rally around a young guy. Nearly everyone is done with JG, and rightly so.
I totally agree with you. For the last two years I have been hard on JG because he isn’t a very good QB and I have caught so much flack from that. Now those that were giving flack seem to not be posting much about their boy crush on JG. I was going to get behind him this year and hope that things were better but it appears to me that he has actually regressed. As a matter of fact, more and more analyst are openly saying it now. I don’t know what’s wrong with Pruitt, but the QB change has to happen or I honestly see the Vols going 0-12. The team has lost all confidence in JG as well as everyone else, not named Pruitt.

If JG is the best QB on the roster and we can't win we are screwed. A losers mentality is saying we have the best person in to give us a chance to win (when all you do is lose) without even trying another option. That is what cowards do. How do you know he is the best option if you aren't trying anything else? Isn't the definition of insanity trying the same thing over and over expecting a different result? As bad as the QB play is from JG and the coach saying he is the best on the roster, I would transfer if I was Maurer and Shrout. That is a huge slap in the face.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
what I've been saying all along. People are hung up on Maurer's high schools stats, but he's not currently cutting it in college.

If there's going to be a QB switch it's going to be against Chatt. because there is no way they are gonna put shrout or Maurer out there against UF for their first taste of action. No. Damn. Way. So continuing to play JG is a de-facto condemnation of how the other two have been in practices. Pruitts rep is on the line and now would be the time to change QBs. If it's not happening now, then there is a reason.

I think the season is basically over. JG will continue and they will save Maurer for later because he just isnt ready now.

Shrout will be the go-to guy if JG gets hurt.

The ole elite 11 argument...

Playing 7v7 with no pass rush in shorts....
Those rankings seem to bear out with the Top 5-8 QBs but you go on believing otherwise and sticking with the losing status quo. It’s worked out just great so far 👍.

Those rankings seem to bear out with the Top 5-8 QBs but you go on believing otherwise and sticking with the losing status quo. It’s worked out just great so far 👍.
Ok, but so you know.... And if you don’t let me remind you.

JG was also an elite 11 finalist..

Sure you want to stick with this argument?

Reactions: jacvols and EODVOL
No we're not. We had Martinez committed here for a while. When Pruitt took over he flipped to Nebraska to play for Frost.

They then had to go out and find someone on short notice. Pruitt took Heltons advice on Shrout and we ended up signing him last minute.

Insert graduate transfer to shore up the QB room because Mcbride left too.

Then last year we signed Maurer, who wasn't exactly a Chaney type of QB and is a true freshman.

I could go on and on but I think you get the point.
This is not what happened. Pruitt and Helton told Martinez to kick rocks. Why on earth would a new head coach coming into a new team with a bad QB situation tell a talented HS QB who's been committed to the program to look somewhere else unless they didn't know what they were doing? If we had Martinez here we'd have gone to a bowl last year and we'd be 2-0 this year. Instead we're stuck with JG. Great call Pruitt.

Then there's Michael Penix who was also committed to us when Pruitt took over. Pruitt and Helton also managed to run him off. He's now starting at Indiana.
QBs Adrian Martinez, Michael Penix decommit from 2018 Tennessee Vols football class

Martinez and Penix were both rock solid with us though all the Schiano and Currie bs. Pruitt took over along with Helton and then wrongly ran off 2 QB's who are BOTH starting at their respective schools as true sophmores. Pruitt has been failing this program with incompetence from the moment he took over.

Not surprising to me at all.

Fans often like to think Peyton Manning is just waiting there on the bench, but that's rarely the case. It was obvious JG was the best QB on the roster in the spring game. He's played poorly and it's not impossible for another QB to pass him, but it hasn't happened yet. Competition is going to get much tougher in 2020, though.

I do hope Shrout gets some reps versus Chattanooga.
I'm taking a different view.

JGs issues right now are stuff FR or inexperienced QBs typical struggle with. Pre snap and post snap decisions and reads. JG is actually struggling with accuracy and timing as well.

If, Shrout or Maurer get the opportunity I dont expect them to be a 180 degree difference or even much better in a game or even 2. What I would expect is for them to start figuring this out where a experienced Jr obviously hasn't and is apparently regressing.

I'd take whichever one I felt like was the next guy if JG got hurt and get him some reps Sat and just see how he does. Spring games and scrimmages are always the only indicator of a player.

If JG is the best QB on the roster and we can't win we are screwed. A losers mentality is saying we have the best person in to give us a chance to win (when all you do is lose) without even trying another option. That is what cowards do. How do you know he is the best option if you aren't trying anything else? Isn't the definition of insanity trying the same thing over and over expecting a different result? As bad as the QB play is from JG and the coach saying he is the best on the roster, I would transfer if I was Maurer and Shrout. That is a huge slap in the face.

It's pretty much a condemnation of Shrout and Maurer. Coaching staff is saying they are so far behind and arent even close to ready to compete in the SEC that they will stick with JG as the best hope. High school stats be damned.

I’ve been very positive of JG in the past but he’s looked terrible these past few games so far.

Late at making decisions and he’s one of the weaker points on this team besides the O-Line.

If Pruitt isn’t willing to make a change, then he’s digging himself into a hole he won’t ever get out of.

I’ve said all along he’s way in over his head and it’s showing.

Reactions: 4chrissy
This is not what happened. Pruitt and Helton told Martinez to kick rocks. Why on earth would a new head coach coming into a new team with a bad QB situation tell a talented HS QB who's been committed to the program to look somewhere else unless they didn't know what they were doing? If we had Martinez here we'd have gone to a bowl last year and we'd be 2-0 this year. Instead we're stuck with JG. Great call Pruitt.

Then there's Michael Penix who was also committed to us when Pruitt took over. Pruitt and Helton also managed to run him off. He's now starting at Indiana.
QBs Adrian Martinez, Michael Penix decommit from 2018 Tennessee Vols football class

Martinez and Penix were both rock solid with us though all the Schiano and Currie bs. Pruitt took over along with Helton and then wrongly ran off 2 QB's who are BOTH starting at their respective schools as true sophmores. Pruitt has been failing this program with incompetence from the moment he took over.
That’s exactly what happened. I didn’t mention Penix at all but you want to try to say they were the same reason. They weren’t.

I’ve been very positive of JG in the past but he’s looked terrible these past few games so far.

Late at making decisions and he’s one of the weaker points on this team besides the O-Line.

If Pruitt isn’t willing to make a change, then he’s digging himself into a hole he won’t ever get out of.

I’ve said all along he’s way in over his head and it’s showing.

What happens if Pruitt benches JG for Maurer and Maurer goes out and throws 5 pics?

You simultaneously destroy JG's confidence and standing with the team and potentially ruin the confidence of a kid that just isnt ready yet.

Never mind, if the whole team knows that the best QB is JG and they have no confidence in the others then you risk losing the team.

This is not as simple as just "throw another QB out there".

Reactions: Mountain Dave
That team has bigger issues than JG but at this point what can it hurt to try one of the young guys?

VN Store

Back