Pruitt not benching JG. Says he’s the best QB on the roster

That is not the same thing as saying you are not going to bench him. He can be the best but not be performing at his best.

As an aside, I don't think JG's problems right now are to be addressed with coaching. What I see here is paralysis by analysis. It is common in perfectionist personality types like I suspect JG is. It is when fear of making a less than perfect decision results in no decision or a very late decision. If that is what is happening it is in the subconscious arena. It is fixable in many people but it is the proper realm of a sports psychologist instead of a coach.
LOL. Guarantano already has a degree in psychology.

I dont'e necessarily disagree with you- but my question would be WHY is there not someone better. Are we really this poor at evaluating and then developing talent?
No we're not. We had Martinez committed here for a while. When Pruitt took over he flipped to Nebraska to play for Frost.

They then had to go out and find someone on short notice. Pruitt took Heltons advice on Shrout and we ended up signing him last minute.

Insert graduate transfer to shore up the QB room because Mcbride left too.

Then last year we signed Maurer, who wasn't exactly a Chaney type of QB and is a true freshman.

I could go on and on but I think you get the point.

Hank Bachmeier - Boise State - 2-0
Sam Howell - UNC - 2-0
Jayden Daniels - 2-0
Bo Nix - 2-0

What do all these QBs have in common? They're all True Freshman and undefeated. How about we stop using the excuse of a player being a "true freshman" as to why he can't start or play any.
Here we go again. I'm not saying a freshman can't play. I'm saying that for every freshman example you give, I can find 10 that aren't ready.

Don't you think that the guy who has millions at stake will play the guys he thinks give us the best chance to win?

Not surprising to me at all.

Fans often like to think Peyton Manning is just waiting there on the bench, but that's rarely the case. It was obvious JG was the best QB on the roster in the spring game. He's played poorly and it's not impossible for another QB to pass him, but it hasn't happened yet. Competition is going to get much tougher in 2020, though.

I do hope Shrout gets some reps versus Chattanooga.

Here we go again. I'm not saying a freshman can't play. I'm saying that for every freshman example you give, I can find 10 that aren't ready.

Don't you think that the guy who has millions at stake will play the guys he thinks give us the best chance to win?

After watching these first two games, yes I question is ability to make the right choice.

Fans often like to think Peyton Manning is just waiting there on the bench, but that's rarely the case. It was obvious JG was the best QB on the roster in the spring game. He's played poorly and it's not impossible for another QB to pass him, but it hasn't happened yet. Competition is going to get much tougher in 2020, though.
Exactly... and Pruitt did point out that as time goes on, more and more young guys will be ready to play.

If Pruitt pulls Guarantano now, he will be down to 2 qbs for the rest of he season. Guarantano would immediately transfer so he could save a year of eligibility. I don’t think he will ever be a good qb but he is tough as hell and Tennessee will need that toughness to get through the season with any offense at all.

Do y'all really expect him to say anything else in a press conference? No head coach is going to let a QB who isn't performing keep playing. Internally, I believe this is an entirely different story.
The "say nothing" answer is to talk about how all your QBs are competing hard and you will play the best guy. It's not doubling down on JG by saying your other two QBs are trash.

Not necessarily. Because he will actually get many millions if they continue to lose and he is fired. Almost 10 million to be exact. So he could be playing for those Millions the other way

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
The coaches were scared to let JG throw a pass in the most critical moments of the game.

Does that not say all that needs to be said?
It's extremely troubling. But, unfortunately, it doesn't necessarily mean there's a better option....yet.

I do hope Shrout gets some reps versus Chattanooga.

We couldn't give the backups any in-game reps last season, and we've lost two games now on the back of JG. I wouldn't hold out much hope for him playing well enough to get off the field.

Not necessarily. Because he will actually get many millions if they continue to lose and he is fired. Almost 10 million to be exact. So he could be playing for those Millions the other way
And... he'd never get another big time job. Maybe Pruitt is the wrong guy, but he's not going to tank the season.

Reactions: peerless98 and Behr
If Pruitt pulls Guarantano now, he will be down to 2 qbs for the rest of he season. Guarantano would immediately transfer so he could save a year of eligibility. I don’t think he will ever be a good qb but he is tough as hell and Tennessee will need that toughness to get through the season with any offense at all.

JG would not transfer anywhere that is ludicrous. He would just simply be benched and if one of the Freshman gets hurt JG moves back up the ladder.

This is really not that difficult to figure out. Just get the freshmen out there and get them ready to play and adequate experience on the field in actual games. Especially since you're losing anyway

If this is true...(nobody better, including Maryland transfer)

It is a sad case.

EDIT: My bad, I forgot Hill isn't available this year...

STILL...sad to read that the backups aren't better than what we've seen from Guarantano.
I think most of us knew not to expect anything from the backup qbs. Heck they can't even win the backup job lol

Reactions: DaUndergroundMan
And... he'd never get another big time job. Maybe Pruitt is the wrong guy, but he's not going to tank the season.

Maybe not, but why would he need one with a $10 million nest egg. He can go back to being a DC and still get paid big money for that, maybe not HC money, but good money.

VN Store

Back