'19 Recruiting Forum: Official BYU Pregame/Game Thread

That last swing pass to the RB pretty much summed up JG's night. He flat out is a horrible QB. You guys placing this on Taylor with all the late passes JG threw all night to wide open WR's for TD's. In the end zone. We should have been so far ahead that we didn't have to worry about that last drive. JG is awful and showed it tonight.
One play that sums up JG was throwing to a double covered JJ in the red zone, when MC was 1 on 1 going for a corner route. If JG cant make better decisions, the coaches need to replace him.

What do you guys think happens from here? UT rides out the season with CP and gives him another year? We will not have a really good class next year as I do expect to see some decommit soon. I hope not but would you want to play here right now?

Wait and see. We'll be fortunate to win 2 games this year. He won't be fired this year most likely but recruiting will tail off and he'll never win here.
Well see. All I know is that game tonight wasn’t on the coaches. Anyone saying otherwise is just mad and emotional. Coaches didn’t have a bust on a 3rd and forever play. Nor were the coaches in there playing QB.

They coached well enough to win that game tonight by double digits with mediocre QB play. That’s a fact

Then you didn't watch the same game as the rest of us. That was one play on the DB. Was it costly yes but JG cost us AT LEAST 21 points tonight.
I watched the same Game, and through all the mistakes JG made, if Taylor makes that 1 play we win the game. I certainly am not excusing JG, but we had the game won until that moment.

Reactions: OrangenSC
Well see. All I know is that game tonight wasn’t on the coaches. Anyone saying otherwise is just mad and emotional. Coaches didn’t have a bust on a 3rd and forever play. Nor were the coaches in there playing QB.

They coached well enough to win that game tonight by double digits with mediocre QB play. That’s a fact
I mostly agree, except the coaches are the ones that keep putting JG out there. If our back ups cant beat out JG then they should never have been recruited or they are not getting good coaching. It would almost be impossible to be a worse qb than JG.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
What do you guys think happens from here? UT rides out the season with CP and gives him another year? We will not have a really good class next year as I do expect to see some decommit soon. I hope not but would you want to play here right now?
If he keeps JG as the QB, this will be his last year. JG is a liability.

I mostly agree, accept the coaches are the ones that keep putting JG out there. If our back ups cant beat out JG then they should never have been recruited or they are not getting good coaching. It would almost be impossible to be a worse qb than JG.
Hard to know without seeing them. Both have never played a game. Hard to put them out there for the first time in a close game.

Fact is, if Maurer comes running out and throws a pick 6 you’d be killing Pruitt for that too

TF is Pruitt doing?

Benches Banks and Chandler for fumbles but won't pull JG for throwing dumb ass passes into triple coverage and handcuffing the O.
You don't put a freshman in that situation. I hate that JG was out there but at least he has experience. Freshman usually don't do well in a tight situation. That's why I'm calling for them to start next week

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
We were basically 1 dimensional tonight. JG hit a couple of wide open receivers, but that's what he was supposed to do. He can't read a defense. Hes a good kid, but hes not starting QB material. If Dabo pulled Kelly Bryant who was undefeated as a starter....surely JG can get pulled who is horrible.

I mostly agree, accept the coaches are the ones that keep putting JG out there. If our back ups cant beat out JG then they should never have been recruited or they are not getting good coaching. It would almost be impossible to be a worse qb than JG.
That's why I'm concerned about the locker room. Can't help but wonder if too many of the pre Pruitt guys are just too loyal to JG.

Pure speculation on my part, just Pruitt has no hesitation anywhere else.

I don't think it is on the coaches either, but the pitchfork and torch crowd need a witch to burn, and Pruitt is an easy target. At this point we need stability even if it is mediocre stability. We have to get out of this loser syndrome, but the QB situation will not allow it.

I don't think Maurer or Shrout will do any better, if they were...they would be out there.

That's why I'm concerned about the locker room. Can't help but wonder if too many of the pre Pruitt guys are just too loyal to JG.

Pure speculation on my part, just Pruitt has no hesitation anywhere else.
Pruitt needs to meet with those guys individually and have a man to man talk with them. It's not personal, he doesnt give us a chance to win. We were 1 dimensional most of the night. He throws a funky swing pass that goes for a loss of 2 yards. That's insanity!

I disagree
The play calling was atrocious.
Short yardage play calling was unforgivable , got a RB who is elusive AF, and we line him up at a 2 yard depth of a fullback and plunge it so he has no choice but to run straight into the OL.
3rd and short could seal the game and we run an end around. You gotta be *****ing me.
The 3 man rush was atrocious especially after Taylor gets injured.
Did Grey get injured? Where was he in the 4th quarter?

Why were we going empty sets as if JG is Tom f’n Brady.
They Didn’t get DWA involved at all.
This team is following the direction of the coaching staff.
All the miscommunication, not knowing where to line up on defense, that’s all coaching.

You don't put a freshman in that situation. I hate that JG was out there but at least he has experience. Freshman usually don't do well in a tight situation. That's why I'm calling for them to start next week

Redshirt freshmen at home. No real game tape on them for BYU to prepare. Could have given the O a shot in the arm. At least force BYU to respect the pass unlike with JG.

It didn't have to happen until the 3rd quarter when there was an obvious shift in playcalling and lack of respect for JG.

At this level, they got to be ready to play at any point. Give them a few series to see how it goes. Nothing to lose there.

Aw man we **** the bed twice in a row.

Oline looks much improved. Run game was solid until it became predictable. Freshmen looked good (HT, Wanya, Grey, Crouch). Gotta give another QB a look. Simply can’t be more ineffective than JG at this point. From my seat it’s not on Pruitt. It’s on a lack of execution. Get two more classes of these kinds of freshmen and it’s good. No one wants to have to wait, but we’re totally going to have to wait for any kind of satisfaction. I don’t know. Maybe we get a surprise at some point. Until the blown coverage the team at least looked like there was some fight in them.

Pruitt needs to meet with those guys individually and have a man to man talk with them. It's not personal, he doesnt give us a chance to win. We were 1 dimensional most of the night. He throws a funky swing pass that goes for a loss of 2 yards. That's insanity!
May not even be the case, just speculating out loud.
I used to swear the next guy couldn't be worse but then I saw Nate play. Crazy but not even sure which is more likely.

VN Store

Back