The Righteous Gemstones HBO

bignewt

The Scoffer Kid
Lab Rat
If you are not a fan of Eastbound and Down and Vice Principals, you can stop reading now. If you are....

The latest from the Danny MacBride/Jody Hill/David Gordon Green gang had it's premiere Sunday and it is HILARIOUS. I laughed my ass off. It's hour long episodes which is amazing they can keep up the humor that long but oh baby do they. Cast is exceptional and there is lots to mine from televangelists for sure. Home run again by these guys!

I liked both the previous shows, but McBride is kind of a one-trick pony and I'm not sure when it's going to get old to me. Definitely going to watch, although I didn't really laugh much at the trailers I've seen.

I don't mind one trick ponies when its a really really good trick. Plus the whole cast around him is on point.

I liked both the previous shows, but McBride is kind of a one-trick pony and I'm not sure when it's going to get old to me. Definitely going to watch, although I didn't really laugh much at the trailers I've seen.

I agree and disagree. His delivery is pretty consistent but VP Gamby was a different character from Kenny Powers. This one seems to fall between.

Head's up, McBride is on Armchair Expert's latest pod. I loved hearing about how he and Jody Hill made Foot Fist Way on a shoestring budget ($70k, until they took it to Sundance).

Reactions: bignewt
This show is off to a really good start. Apatow says that the key to good comedy writing is the story needs to be able to stand on its own without the humor and this definitely passes that test so far.

If you are not a fan of Eastbound and Down and Vice Principals, you can stop reading now. If you are....

The latest from the Danny MacBride/Jody Hill/David Gordon Green gang had it's premiere Sunday and it is HILARIOUS. I laughed my ass off. It's hour long episodes which is amazing they can keep up the humor that long but oh baby do they. Cast is exceptional and there is lots to mine from televangelists for sure. Home run again by these guys!
Graphic male nudity warning should’ve been issued...artistic tho. 🤮

That might be a little harsh. Had some funny moments, but was mostly character development and backstory. They were probably laying some groundwork for later down the road.

I just think they could've given all that backstory with 5-10 minutes of flashbacks. They removed almost every funny character and made it the longest episode since the pilot. The kid that played young Danny McBride was really good, but there were few laughs, long scenes, and nothing too interesting was revealed.

I just think they could've given all that backstory with 5-10 minutes of flashbacks. They removed almost every funny character and made it the longest episode since the pilot. The kid that played young Danny McBride was really good, but there were few laughs, long scenes, and nothing too interesting was revealed.

That song made it worth it.....imo

Reactions: Jackcrevol

VN Store

Back