Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any player that starts that many games at MLB is gonna get stats. Still doesn’t mean they are that good.
My issue with AJ was that till the last season, he was a grabber when we needed a thumper, especially considering his size..

I do however think he was playing great his last season, and was going to get paid well in the NFL.

I was there Friday night...it was great. Saturday and yesterday, not so much.

I give big Kudos to Snitker on yanking Acuna yesterday. Good move, got to make sure every player knows he's not above hustling on every play.

I'm not too worked up about losing this series, even though it always sucks to lose one. Dodgers have been taking advantage of their huge standings cushion to experiment with rotation and bullpen personnel for the postseason, and yesterday they took a kid who was just called up a couple weeks ago as a starter tryout, and thew him into a relief role against a really good team, which may have cost them the game. Hard to say... if you take away Ortega's slam and if Belli's homer stays in Acuna's glove (sac fly instead of homer), it's a 1-1 game; who knows where it goes?

Not to take anything away from the Braves, they played a good series and their hotshot relievers finally stepped up. They very well may have won the series no matter who Roberts trotted out there. In fact, they're the team I worry most about in postseason.

But I'm not going to freak out. Dodgers are really deep, still should get Taylor, Verdugo and Kike back soon, and Hill and Freese for postseason.

Reactions: Chuckie
I'm not too worked up about losing this series, even though it always sucks to lose one. Dodgers have been taking advantage of their huge standings cushion to experiment with rotation and bullpen personnel for the postseason, and yesterday they took a kid who was just called up a couple weeks ago as a starter tryout, and thew him into a relief role against a really good team, which may have cost them the game. Hard to say... if you take away Ortega's slam and if Belli's homer stays in Acuna's glove (sac fly instead of homer), it's a 1-1 game; who knows where it goes?

Not to take anything away from the Braves, they played a good series and their hotshot relievers finally stepped up. They very well may have won the series no matter who Roberts trotted out there. In fact, they're the team I worry most about in postseason.

But I'm not going to freak out. Dodgers are really deep, still should get Taylor, Verdugo and Kike back soon, and Hill and Freese for postseason.
source.gif

My issue with AJ was that till the last season, he was a grabber when we needed a thumper, especially considering his size..

I do however think he was playing great his last season, and was going to get paid well in the NFL.
He did have a much better Sr. Year. Was on track to get drafted in the mid-late rounds.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Sample size must be limited
Dobbs had some haters, like all players and fanbases, but was overwhelmingly a fan favorite.

I know P.Will got the hype that we give every new recruit, including unknown 3 stars, but you seem to have included him as OVER hyped based off of 1 poster.
Dobbs was always beloved as an ambassador of the program, but faced a lot of criticism (some deserved and some undeserved) basically every season except 2016.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
He did have a much better Sr. Year. Was on track to get drafted in the mid-late rounds.
I agree, I also have heard since that he was constantly fighting shoulder problems his first three seasons, and that was the reason for his aforementioned issues. That would explain what I perceived to be his lack of physicality at the position.

I agree, I also have heard since that he was constantly fighting shoulder problems his first three seasons, and that was the reason for his aforementioned issues. That would explain what I perceived to be his lack of physicality at the position.
I always thought the experience just caught up with him. He was never the fastest LB, so he was a little late getting to guys in space as an underclassman. Seemed like he read and reacted to things more quickly that last year and was getting to ballcarriers more quickly and in better position to lay a lick as a result.

Dobbs was always beloved as an ambassador of the program, but faced a lot of criticism (some deserved and some undeserved) basically every season except 2016.
But honestly, was the unfair criticism, "the fanbase" or was it the same 10-15 guys making tons of noise?
Go to a QB debate thread now and I bet half of the posts are from 5 posters. (Or less)

Any player that starts that many games at MLB is gonna get stats. Still doesn’t mean they are that good.

That's a pretty bad counter...you don't have to like AJ Johnson, and you don't even have to think he's a good player. But stats are all we can objectively use to debate "good" or "hype" and when you're 2nd ALL-TIME in most major categories for your position it's hard to say he wasn't good or properly hyped.

Last edited:
All of those are under rated and I’m curious as to who in the Sam hell is ahead of us in the fight song department🤔 personally it should be
1.)Tennessee
2.)Florida st.

Side note: if it’s Michigan and Ohio st that poll was made by kirt and Desmond,doesn’t count😭😂😂

Where did UGAs song “I’ve been working on the railroad” rank?

I always thought the experience just caught up with him. He was never the fastest LB, so he was a little late getting to guys in space as an underclassman. Seemed like he read and reacted to things more quickly that last year and was getting to ballcarriers more quickly and in better position to lay a lick as a result.
That makes sense too, but his first few years he rarely squared dudes up in the hole even when he had the chance imo. It used to drive me insane at the time, but knowing what I do now about his health issues I understand why he didn't.

The fact that I had a class with him and dude was totally hopeless in the classroom. Great personality and a nice dude to classmates/professors, but he just had no business in even 100 level classes.

You’re describing about half the football players. Which is exactly why we have the Thorton center.

But honestly, was the unfair criticism, "the fanbase" or was it the same 10-15 guys making tons of noise?
Go to a QB debate thread now and I bet half of the posts are from 5 posters. (Or less)
That’s a good point and idk without checking. But I can remember, off the top of my head, 2 regular, normally rational posters (who usually stick to the FF, but come around here a bit) who were super critical of Dobbs the QB (not Dobbs the runner) up until his SR year when he was a more complete player.

I vaguely remember a lot of people good naturedly eating crow in 2016 over his development as a passer

Reactions: SweetasSoda
You’re describing about half the football players. Which is exactly why we have the Thorton center.
Had classes with other athletes as an undergrad too. CP was a different case. There’s a reason teams stayed away from him as a HS recruit and he had to go JUCO.

CP just wasn’t cut out for college at all and there’s no way he would’ve been eligible all 3 years. Hell, he was barely eligible for one semester at UT.

Reactions: JacketVol
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back