Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overrated as a recruit yes but by Tennessee people no. I’m talking more of people acted like they were a lot better than they actually were while here. I think over hyped would be the better term.

Most overhyped:
AJ Johnson
Kirkland JR
Justin Martin (breakerboy lol)
Casey clausen*** (i know i know Road warrior and ice man but we won Some games in spite of him bc of a loaded roster. He’s our Trent dilfer so to speak)

Under appreciated:
Dobbs
Meachem
Cordarelle Patterson
Jason Allen
Dan Williams
giphy.gif

Dobbs & Clausen are arguably top 5 QBs in UT history I think both get accurate appreciation. I'm not sure I'd call AJ overhyped either 425 tackles and 2nd all-time is impressive, 3 straight years with 100+ total tackles, and he missed 2 games in his senior season because of the accusations he was acquitted of.

I think Martin & DK might be the only ones on either list I agree with...of course I think some of the guys on the Under appreciated didn't gain any respect until post UT days.
Any player that starts that many games at MLB is gonna get stats. Still doesn’t mean they are that good.

I listened to Coach Doug Matthew’s Big Orange Sunday show yesterday and he talked a lot about Pruitt being a football coach as compared to his predecessors here and he attributed that to Pruitt being hired by a football coach as opposed to the guys who hired his 3 immediate predecessors. He said it’s been our experience when we have a football coach as the athletic director we’ve hired the best football coaches in our history. He also talked about the ways he’s seen Pruitt grow into his job as the head coach this year compared with last.

He talked about some of our young players but I don’t think he said anything that hasn’t already been said, that is, all except for Eric Gray. Of course he focused on the buzz surrounding Gray and thought it was pretty significant that Pruitt who generally is pretty reserved in hyping players, sometimes not even willing to mention names, have been very high on Gray.

But CDM said something else that about Gray and this was news to me. Eric’s birthday is in either October or November and according to Doug, this year Eric will be 20 years old. In other words he’s not your typical 18 year old freshman. He’s pretty close to the same age as Trey Smith and presumably Ty Chandler and Tim Jordan. He’s old enough to be a junior or at least pretty close to it.

Pruitt said in the interview posted Sunday night that in his first semester here, this Spring, while dealing with shoulder surgery, learning the offense, and all the other things that come from trying to get acclimated to college life, Eric had close to a 4.0 GPA in the classroom. If you visit the Aubrey Solomon thread you’ll find speculation that Michigan is dragging its feet on supplying transfer paperwork back to the NCAA. We’ve taken a 5-star defensive tackle away from Harbaugh this year and maybe more importantly we flipped Eric Gray from the Wusserines. Harbaugh may be getting a bit bothered from the repeated beat-downs Pruitt has been dealing out to him. jmo.
I had no clue Gray was turning 20 years old. So we added another 'man' to the roster.

15-0

Not sure how someone can be thrown into a "best ever" category with a rather mild single season performance.

1086 total yards from scrimmage and 8 total TDs doesn't scream "best ever" in any category. Especially in the same season Hunter had 1083 receiving yards and 9 TDs.

I could see CP's lone season being up there as one of the better seasons by a WR here though, but not sure I can put him ahead of Kent, Nash, Pickens, Meachem, Price, Hunter, McGee, Moore, Washington, Hancock, Seviers, or even Wilson.

That was my whole point. It’s because he isn’t have the tenured career here. If he puts up the same exact season two more times. Then where does he rank. There’s not many players i can think of that came in and instantly had as big of an impact as him from the momment they stepped on campus

That was my whole point. It’s because he isn’t have the tenured career here. If he puts up the same exact season two more times. Then where does he rank. There’s not many players i can think of that came in and instantly had as big of an impact as him from the momment they stepped on campus
Counterpoint: if he stays two more seasons he’s maybe eligible in one of them. CP just wasn’t cut out to be a student athlete. Textbook example of the kind of guy who would have benefited from a minor league system.

Reactions: JacketVol
I listened to Coach Doug Matthew’s Big Orange Sunday show yesterday and he talked a lot about Pruitt being a football coach as compared to his predecessors here and he attributed that to Pruitt being hired by a football coach as opposed to the guys who hired his 3 immediate predecessors. He said it’s been our experience when we have a football coach as the athletic director we’ve hired the best football coaches in our history. He also talked about the ways he’s seen Pruitt grow into his job as the head coach this year compared with last.

He talked about some of our young players but I don’t think he said anything that hasn’t already been said, that is, all except for Eric Gray. Of course he focused on the buzz surrounding Gray and thought it was pretty significant that Pruitt who generally is pretty reserved in hyping players, sometimes not even willing to mention names, have been very high on Gray.

But CDM said something else that about Gray and this was news to me. Eric’s birthday is in either October or November and according to Doug, this year Eric will be 20 years old. In other words he’s not your typical 18 year old freshman. He’s pretty close to the same age as Trey Smith and presumably Ty Chandler and Tim Jordan. He’s old enough to be a junior or at least pretty close to it.

Pruitt said in the interview posted Sunday night that in his first semester here, this Spring, while dealing with shoulder surgery, learning the offense, and all the other things that come from trying to get acclimated to college life, Eric had close to a 4.0 GPA in the classroom. If you visit the Aubrey Solomon thread you’ll find speculation that Michigan is dragging its feet on supplying transfer paperwork back to the NCAA. We’ve taken a 5-star defensive tackle away from Harbaugh this year and maybe more importantly we flipped Eric Gray from the Wusserines. Harbaugh may be getting a bit bothered from the repeated beat-downs Pruitt has been dealing out to him. jmo.

He’s like Calvin Ridley then. Dude was driving to school on 8th grade.

Every single one of CP’s runs were from the WR position. Stop acting like he was a tailback who caught some passes
Yeah, but at the same time if you take away the rushing yards he had on jet sweeps and the kick/punt returns, his stats seen wayyy less impressive. And he did struggle with drops a bit here and there (dropped a beautiful long pass Bray dropped right in the basket for him against UF that year in a critical moment).

He may be the most impressive athlete UT’s had in the past 20-30 years. But it’s also fair to say he’s probably not too 5 purely as a WR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back