Gadsden Flag (“Don’t Tread on Me”)

Thank you for posting this as it is an EXCELLENT example of misleading right wing nonsense amongst bloggers, taking on the imprimatur of "news" or "fact."

The article claims that in 2016 the EEOC ruled that the flag could be viewed as "racial harassment in the workplace" because it could "convey racially-tinged messages" in some contexts.

Cue the right wing nutjobs losing their collective sh!t because they think the EEOC actually proclaimed that. Let's take a look at how this happened.

1) OP, the article you posted is on Yahoo in the Style section. That should have been the first clue to you that you were being taken for a ride.

2) The article in turn is from some site entitled "she knows," which bills itself as a website for women discussing things like cooking and beauty tips. So that's tip # 2 that maybe the "outrage" component of this is being ginned up, maybe just a tad.

3) So then we look at who did the linking. It is not surprisingly on Fox News in an opinion piece which, gasp, expresses much feigned outrage. Same thing on Townhall and presumably reverberating throughout the right wing blogosphere based on just a simple Google search.

So is it true that in some case the EEOC actually ruled that the "don't tread on me" flag is racist, or even could be racist, as suggested by the article?

ABSOLUTELY THE f*** NOT.

The EEOC has a page about this, and here it is: What You Should Know about EEOC and Shelton D. v. U.S. Postal Service (Gadsden Flag case)

For those too lazy to bother to read it -- which is evidently the entire right wing echo chamber that posts and reposts crap like this to rile up their idiotic base-- here is the bottom line:

The EEOC goes on to specifically note that no determination was ever made as to racial component. The issue was just one of procedure having to do with an employee complaint.

No, Virginia, the EEOC has not ruled that the flag is racist, or even could be racist. So damn you to ignorant hell, all that bought into the notion that this is legit. Its another fake outrage piece, championed by the usual morons. Sadly, there will be many ignorant folks like yourselves wallowing in junk like this for a long time.

Sweet so its not racist , whew I was starting to think it was and the snake was just half a skin head emblem just straighten out . Thanks LG

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this as it is an EXCELLENT example of misleading right wing nonsense amongst bloggers, taking on the imprimatur of "news" or "fact."

The article claims that in 2016 the EEOC ruled that the flag could be viewed as "racial harassment in the workplace" because it could "convey racially-tinged messages" in some contexts.

Cue the right wing nutjobs losing their collective sh!t because they think the EEOC actually proclaimed that. Let's take a look at how this happened.

1) OP, the article you posted is on Yahoo in the Style section. That should have been the first clue to you that you were being taken for a ride.

2) The article in turn is from some site entitled "she knows," which bills itself as a website for women discussing things like cooking and beauty tips. So that's tip # 2 that maybe the "outrage" component of this is being ginned up, maybe just a tad.

3) So then we look at who did the linking. It is not surprisingly on Fox News in an opinion piece which, gasp, expresses much feigned outrage. Same thing on Townhall and presumably reverberating throughout the right wing blogosphere based on just a simple Google search.

So is it true that in some case the EEOC actually ruled that the "don't tread on me" flag is racist, or even could be racist, as suggested by the article?

ABSOLUTELY THE f*** NOT.

The EEOC has a page about this, and here it is: What You Should Know about EEOC and Shelton D. v. U.S. Postal Service (Gadsden Flag case)

For those too lazy to bother to read it -- which is evidently the entire right wing echo chamber that posts and reposts crap like this to rile up their idiotic base-- here is the bottom line:

The EEOC goes on to specifically note that no determination was ever made as to racial component. The issue was just one of procedure having to do with an employee complaint.

No, Virginia, the EEOC has not ruled that the flag is racist, or even could be racist. So damn you to ignorant hell, all that bought into the notion that this is legit. Its another fake outrage piece, championed by the usual morons. Sadly, there will be many ignorant folks like yourselves wallowing in junk like this for a long time.
You mad.

Wasn’t attempting to rile anyone up. There’s nothing incendiary in my post, no gnashing of teeth. Go re-read what I said. Nothing about the EEOC’s non ruling.

Was just asking for opinion on the flag / symbol itself.

You mad.

Wasn’t attempting to rile anyone up. There’s nothing incendiary in my post, no gnashing of teeth. Go re-read what I said. Nothing about the EEOC’s non ruling.

Was just asking for opinion on the flag / symbol itself.
It's just that your thread was started with a fake news story. From a couple days ago

But they're not all over Chris Pratt. This is a fake news story. Yahoo took a handful of tweets and created a clickbait story pretending like this was some big controversy. This happens all the time and we begin to think the miniscule minority of a group represents the majority.

Was Chris Pratt Criticized for a 'White Supremacist' T-shirt? Not Really

ABSOLUTELY THE f*** NOT.

😂 Don’t tread on LG.

A little over the top going after OP, but otherwise, good post.

Reactions: 0nelilreb
It's just that your thread was started with a fake news story. From a couple days ago
Didn’t see Huff’s post from yesterday.

There was a Washington Post story on it, but I couldn’t read it as it was behind a pay wall.

Didn’t see Huff’s post from yesterday.

There was a Washington Post story on it, but I couldn’t read it as it was behind a pay wall.
Great. That's likely fake as well. Everyone looking for that gotcha moment and don't care how they get it

We had white nationalists marching with it here in Memphis and I'm pretty sure they've appropriated it elsewhere...I don't think it's inherently racist, and I don't think Chris Pratt should be in hot water over it.

I do think it runs the risk of being appropriated into racist symbology.
The stupidity of this outrage culture is that something must be pure in all aspects from its origins. Thomas Jefferson said things that are profound beyond the understanding of many but he owned slaves so **** him he’s a monster and you’re a racist if you quote him. No one is allowed to have any faults whatsoever, I’m waiting for the SJW’s to show us their messiah who has committed no error and can lead us. People are losing the ability to separate the man or the object from the message. If someone has done one thing wrong in their eyes that person’s entire body of work should be tossed. I guess it’s good we haven’t learned if Einstein told black jokes or we’d be throwing e=mc2 out the window.

The stupidity of this outrage culture is that something must be pure in all aspects from its origins. Thomas Jefferson said things that are profound beyond the understanding of many but he owned slaves so **** him he’s a monster and you’re a racist if you quote him. No one is allowed to have any faults whatsoever, I’m waiting for the SJW’s to show us their messiah who has committed no error and can lead us. People are losing the ability to separate the man or the object from the message. If someone has done one thing wrong in their eyes that person’s entire body of work should be tossed. I guess it’s good we haven’t learned if Einstein told black jokes or we’d be throwing e=mc2 out the window.

Calm your titties.

ABSOLUTELY THE f*** NOT.

You should change your panties, ypurs seems to be in a bunch.

ABSOLUTELY THE f*** NOT.

triggered

Reactions: BUBear
I grew up in Middle Tennessee during Jim Crow. I recall the separate water coolers, restrooms, and even the YMCA in Nashville with the "Colored" YMCA entrance below to the basement. I recall racists and racism being prevalent, my family never knew anyone who was in the Klan, but we did know they were around us. Use of the "n" word was just part of daily conversations. Trying to set the stage for the following, never did I once hear or understand at any time by all the racists and white supremacists of the day around me during childhood one of them mention or even suggest there was a racist connotation to the Betsey Ross or Gadsden flags. It's purely a recent contrivance by somebody and neither flag has anything to do with racism.

VN Store

Back