Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jimbo and Kirby are not comparable. Jimbo is a 10x better coach than him.

I know there were extenuating circumstances, but his last season at FSU was a stinker. 5-6 before he left with a roster significantly more talented than all but two of the teams on the schedule. I’d have a hard time seeing Kirby ever being 5-6 eleven games into a season at UGA and the average talent gap on their schedule year to year is a bit tighter than what Jimbo had at FSU.

Reactions: Bret178
To be fair in the last 2 classes we've signed 7 pure DL plus Solomon, 3 edge rushers and 3 lb who could play inside or off the edge. Now the only 5 star is the transfer and we don't really know what we have with any of them. And certainly could use more but like 40% of the first 2 classes were along the lines of scrimmage and there's only so many spots per class. But it's not like they're ignoring it. Hopefully we can get more this year too and have a couple be bluechippers.

We have bodies but do we have any difference makers? I’m concerned our weakness for years will be stopping the run and getting pressure on the QB. Can’t win that way in the SEC.

Reactions: Devo182
I will be taking the under on their season win total.

It's the RS Frosh though not their premier LB. Still, they're having a crazy offseason. I never thought they were going to be as good as advertised but with how their offseason has gone I'm far more skeptical. I think they've got problems culturally and those can bleed over into everything no matter how talented you are.

We have bodies but do we have any difference makers? I’m concerned our weakness for years will be stopping the run and getting pressure on the QB. Can’t win that way in the SEC.
if i had to pick one it'd be Emerson. he was approaching 5* status until he got hurt. he's had basically 18 months to healup now and has been thru two years of this program. the only drawback is he hasn't played a lot of football the last two years so, im sure there's a hump to get over there.

but he's a name i'd keep an eye on. he has the potential to be a difference maker.

but past that, and Gooden, and Solomon if eligible, probalby not.

but like Sleegro said, we have bodies and should have a "decent" 2 deep on the DL.

the other good news is that htey don't have to be super stars and be stat sheet stuffers w/TFL's, sacks etc.....in this defense, the LB's are going to be expected to make a lot of plays. so if the DL can occupy blockers and allow the LB's to do what they need to, we might not notice huge defidiencies up front.

all that said........yeah, the DL is a question mark. definitley.

Preseason top-10 with a veteran squad - #26 team in returning production/#3 in the SEC. Outside of a questionable amount of turnover on the OL and little freshman talent incoming due to attrition, they figure to be pretty good. I think we'll snag them in the years to come, but this year is going to be a tough Gator squad imo. Mullen is good and the staff did wonders for last year's OL that was expected to be garbage and turned out pretty solid. Honestly, I would be quite optimistic for 2019 if I were a Gators fan.
A lot depends on Franks. I would say Mullen will have him ready, but if he is just ok with an inexperienced OL, they could struggle to score. The SEC has a lot of big, fast defenses which makes a questionable OL worrisome. I think that they win 8.

Reactions: Devo182
Jimbo and Kirby are not comparable. Jimbo is a 10x better coach than him.

Based on what they’ve achieved so far, sure. Jimbo won a NC and I don’t even know how many conference titles at FSU while Kirby is just getting started. I think Jimbo peaked and started his decline at FSU though. He left them in really bad shape, and I’m skeptical of him being able to recover at A&M. All he really had to compete with in the ACC was Dabo and Clemson, but Jimbo got smoked in that competition despite some significant built-in advantages. Now he has a much harder job in the SEC west. I just don’t see him winning a championship in the SEC.

With Kirby, OTOH, I’m not buying the Richt comparisons and think they are going to be really strong for the foreseeable future. I hope I’m wrong, but I think they get over the hump and win an SEC title in the next 3 years or so.

Then he reeled off an appearance in the championship game, another season where many thought they should be in the playoffs, and is preseason top 5 this year. He is what his record says he is at this point. There are a bunch of average coaches in the SEC, so those results are going to get you a high ranking.
No, then he reeled off a 7-5 season record with the players he had his first year. Before that year and after the media crowned him Saban's successor to SEC success. Which helped his recruiting tremendously. Then everything else you stated happened. Not saying Pruitt has yet earned the respect as a head coach, but Kirby got it before he earned it.

Based on what they’ve achieved so far, sure. Jimbo won a NC and I don’t even know how many conference titles at FSU while Kirby is just getting started. I think Jimbo peaked and started his decline at FSU though. He left them in really bad shape, and I’m skeptical of him being able to recover at A&M. All he really had to compete with in the ACC was Dabo and Clemson, but Jimbo got smoked in that competition despite some significant built-in advantages. Now he has a much harder job in the SEC west. I just don’t see him winning a championship in the SEC.

With Kirby, OTOH, I’m not buying the Richt comparisons and think they are going to be really strong for the foreseeable future. I hope I’m wrong, but I think they get over the hump and win an SEC title in the next 3 years or so.

They won double digit games all but season (9wins) prior to Jimbos last year in which they still had 7 wins. When you’re at a place so long it’s inevitable to have a bad year or two.

Their problem is they hired an awful coach in tag who has never been a good coach anywhere he’s been. He also almost beat Clemson in his first year at aTm. They will probably be in the playoff within the next 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back