Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Among other things, he apparently doesn't think too highly of our coaching staff.

img_0346.jpg

It looks like he didn’t even begin to try to separate strategic (stockpiling talent across positions, keeping them eligible, S&C) and in-game coaching.

If it’s the latter, how you gonna have Orgeron sitting tied at 7 with Stoops?

I would think so as well unless there’s more we can’t see. Doesn’t seem to be about coaches.

Our special teams are 3rd in the SEC? Interesting.

I always try to avoid responding to certain posts because I figure nothing good can come of it. I agree with those that say we have to prove ourselves and I think we will.

But no, that CH is not about overall position groups. It’s coaches, and in particular, head coach. Texas A&M doesn’t have anywhere close to the 2nd best overall position groups. They have Jimbo Fisher who Steele thinks is tied with Kirby as the 2nd best coach in the league.

Pruitt’s ranking is not outside the norm. It may be outside the ranking in our bubble but most other publications have similar rankings for Pruitt. Sporting News dropped him from 44th best in the nation to start last year to 54th best to start this year. Barrett Sallee writing for CBS has him ranked at #11 among fellow SEC coaches this year. Athlon has him at #13 this year. He’s largely unproven working on his own at the top of a program and the way he finished last year to some degree overshadowed the wins against Auburn on the road and Kentucky at home.

Two of the knocks on Pruitt starting out was he didn’t have the temperament to be a head coach and he was difficult to work with. He threw a lot of his players under the bus on national TV during halftime of the Alabama game last year (and most of our fans cheered) and there were whispers of dysfunction between him and Helton as the season wore on. Some people think a lot of our players quit on him at the end of last year and outside our bubble he doesn’t escape responsibility for that.

Most people here will know that probably 95% or better of my posts tend to look for the silver lining in things. I’m hopeful for Pruitt. I think he came in here spoiled. He’s only ever had experience coaching the most talented teams in all of college football. Now he has to work and actually work harder probably than he ever imagined. The most important thing he probably needed to learn is that he can’t do it all by himself. Nobody can, not here, not anywhere. He needs his players and he needs his staff. I think from some of the things I’ve heard from both him and Fulmer during the offseason we’re going to see a bit of a different Pruitt this year. I figure he’ll go 11-1 this year in the regular season, 12-0 if he can figure out a way to beat Vanderbilt, and that’ll all be reflected in his ranking next year. jmo.

Indeed, where’s the beef? The first two DL classes have been disappointing.

That’s always been a knock on Rocker. Good coach but average recruiter. Some blame effort some blame personality.

I do agree DL recruiting has lagged behind all other positions.

So I've made a music video for an online voting competition. Best area to share it on the forums to ask VN for some votes?

Also, I think JG is a fantastic QB...I just don't think showing only a "per..." stat line is really telling a full story.

Only had 2 games over 200 yards never threw 3 or more TDs in a game and threw for 0 TDs in a total of 4 games (although one of those was the shortened Missouri game where he only had 2 attempts). His completion % was also aided a bit by weaker defenses. He went over 70% in 3 games (WVU, Texas-El Paso, Charlotte). He was awful against Florida, Alabama, & Vanderbilt with 50% or worse in those 3 games. Granted JG's stats don't tell the full story at all and he's only played 2 seasons with 2 different OCs in both (and now on his 3rd). I think Chaney can improve his game a lot, I also hope JG has such a good season we're worried he's leaving for the draft.

I always try to avoid responding to certain posts because I figure nothing good can come of it. I agree with those that say we have to prove ourselves and I think we will.

But no, that CH is not about overall position groups. It’s coaches, and in particular, head coach. Texas A&M doesn’t have anywhere close to the 2nd best overall position groups. They have Jimbo Fisher who Steele thinks is tied with Kirby as the 2nd best coach in the league.

Pruitt’s ranking is not outside the norm. It may be outside the ranking in our bubble but most other publications have similar rankings for Pruitt. Sporting News dropped him from 44th best in the nation to start last year to 54th best to start this year. Barrett Sallee writing for CBS has him ranked at #11 among fellow SEC coaches this year. Athlon has him at #13 this year. He’s largely unproven working on his own at the top of a program and the way he finished last year to some degree overshadowed the wins against Auburn on the road and Kentucky at home.

Two of the knocks on Pruitt starting out was he didn’t have the temperament to be a head coach and he was difficult to work with. He threw a lot of his players under the bus on national TV during halftime of the Alabama game last year (and most of our fans cheered) and there were whispers of dysfunction between him and Helton as the season wore on. Some people think a lot of our players quit on him at the end of last year and outside our bubble he doesn’t escape responsibility for that.

Most people here will know that probably 95% or better of my posts tend to look for the silver lining in things. I’m hopeful for Pruitt. I think he came in here spoiled. He’s only ever had experience coaching the most talented teams in all of college football. Now he has to work and actually work harder probably than he ever imagined. The most important thing he probably needed to learn is that he can’t do it all by himself. Nobody can, not here, not anywhere. He needs his players and he needs his staff. I think from some of the things I’ve heard from both him and Fulmer during the offseason we’re going to see a bit of a different Pruitt this year. I figure he’ll go 11-1 this year in the regular season, 12-0 if he can figure out a way to beat Vanderbilt, and that’ll all be reflected in his ranking next year. jmo.
I agree with their questioning. I think the large majority of faith in Pruitt is based purely on development and general SEC experience, at least for myself.

And now I'll go full blasphemy. I even have something that haunts the back of my mind on Pruitt's defensive calls, Tn/Ga 2015.
After our huge comeback win, either Dobbs or Hurd did an interview. When asked about their level of concern being down 21 points, they basically blew it off (paraphrasing)

"We just needed to stop hurting ourselves. It was our own mistakes, fumbles, turnovers, etc..
We had no problem moving the ball on them all day, they couldn't stop us. We just had to quit stopping ourselves."

When a CBJ led team has "no problem moving the ball all day", against a defense with the talent Ga had, it hints that there is a Kryptonite against that system. I know there can be excuses given, I've given them to myself. But eventually, the thought always creeps back in. We had the same weapon then, that later, others used to give his defense fits at Bama. A true DT qb. Now, everyone has them.

I'll step back and take my lashing for my insolence.🙊

Reactions: Jack Burton

Jimbo and Kirby are not comparable. Jimbo is a 10x better coach than him.

Reactions: scvolfan7
I agree with their questioning. I think the large majority of faith in Pruitt is based purely on development and general SEC experience, at least for myself.

And now I'll go full blasphemy. I even have something that haunts the back of my mind on Pruitt's defensive calls, Tn/Ga 2015.
After our huge comeback win, either Dobbs or Hurd did an interview. When asked about their level of concern being down 21 points, they basically blew it off (paraphrasing)

"We just needed to stop hurting ourselves. It was our own mistakes, fumbles, turnovers, etc..
We had no problem moving the ball on them all day, they couldn't stop us. We just had to quit stopping ourselves."

When a CBJ led team has "no problem moving the ball all day", against a defense with the talent Ga had, it hints that there is a Kryptonite against that system. I know there can be excuses given, I've given them to myself. But eventually, the thought always creeps back in. We had the same weapon then, that later, others used to give his defense fits at Bama. A true DT qb. Now, everyone has them.

I mean any coach is gonna be able to have good offensive days with Those weapons and QB. The biggest thing about all of it is If Pruitt’s defense doesn’t have a great pass rush then it’s not hard for the offense to move the ball. Every defense has a weakness that just happened to be Pruitts. Seattle’s defense has to have good safety play bc they sit back in a cover 3 most of the game. When they lost ET and Cam their defense took a crap.

I mean any coach is gonna be able to have good offensive days with Those weapons and QB. The biggest thing about all of it is If Pruitt’s defense doesn’t have a great pass rush then it’s not hard for the offense to move the ball. Every defense has a weakness that just happened to be Pruitts. Seattle’s defense has to have good safety play bc they sit back in a cover 3 most of the game. When they lost ET and Cam their defense took a crap.
I expected the "just one game" responses, as I said, I gave them to myself. But as I also pointed out, the dt troubles were repeatedly mentioned at Bama also.

It's not like I expected to say something critical and not to be met with pushback. But the above did happen. I'm also keeping in mind that Pruitt may have adjusted/learned over time along with hoping Ansley brings a little something to the table.
Not like I'm declaring defeat.

The only problem I have with this assessment is Kirby was never a head coach, was a DC at AL also, walked into a team loaded with talent that for the most part was well coached, and he was instantly the #2 coach in the SEC destined to become the next Saban as far as the media is concerned.

And DL is exactly where we are struggling most in recruiting. We need some goons.

The only problem I have with this assessment is Kirby was never a head coach, was a DC at AL also, walked into a team loaded with talent that for the most part was well coached, and he was instantly the #2 coach in the SEC destined to become the next Saban as far as the media is concerned.

Great points. Mark Richt was let go after going 9-3, the roster he left behind included: Sony Michel, Nick Chubb, Terry Godwin, Reggie Davis, Isaiah McKenzie and a host of NFL talent on the OL & on defense. Kirby didn't exactly inherit a program or players that were exactly struggling.

Then he reeled off an appearance in the championship game, another season where many thought they should be in the playoffs, and is preseason top 5 this year. He is what his record says he is at this point. There are a bunch of average coaches in the SEC, so those results are going to get you a high ranking.

Reactions: OrangenSC
And DL is exactly where we are struggling most in recruiting. We need some goons.
To be fair in the last 2 classes we've signed 7 pure DL plus Solomon, 3 edge rushers and 3 lb who could play inside or off the edge. Now the only 5 star is the transfer and we don't really know what we have with any of them. And certainly could use more but like 40% of the first 2 classes were along the lines of scrimmage and there's only so many spots per class. But it's not like they're ignoring it. Hopefully we can get more this year too and have a couple be bluechippers.

i think the other thing that plays well in to his favor with TN fans is that he's the "anti Butch", and he left such a bad taste in all our mouths, that anything that's not Butch = must be waaaaay better. and in defense of that, i think most everything he's done that's been related directly to football and culture for the program has been fixing some of the things BSIA left behind, and by all accounts needed to be fixed.

so, while i think most can at least take that for what it is, and acknowledge it appears to be going in the right direction...at the end of the day, if all that doesn't translate on to the w/l column, it won't matter much, and he'll just wind up being the next coach we fire.

or not. :)

bottom line for me, as previously stated, we already know what it looks like if this goes south. so i'm going to keep looking at it for the paths that lead to success. we'll know it pretty quick if we see it headed down the other path.

tl/dr version....i like what i've seen so far, i'm encouraged by the direction we're headed in......i'm not going to tell anyone that Pruitt is definitely good or bad yet, cause that's firmly in the TBD camp as of today.

Reactions: SmokinBob
Then he reeled off an appearance in the championship game, another season where many thought they should be in the playoffs, and is preseason top 5 this year. He is what his record says he is at this point. There are a bunch of average coaches in the SEC, so those results are going to get you a high ranking.
and that's fine. but situations being what htey are, i think it'd be hard to find anyone to argue against the notion that Kirby walked in a plug and play situation, where Pruitt.........hasn't.

what kirby stepped in to was more akin to what Fulmer took over after Majors. what Pruitt walked in to is more akin to what majors walked in to after Battle (and imo, it was worse than that with all the leadership changes, and how that search played out in the end).

so if you wanna compare Kirby and Pruitt, fine. but it's not apples to apples...if that can be at least agreed upon, then rank 'em however you see fit....doesn't matter to me.

i think the other thing that plays well in to his favor with TN fans is that he's the "anti Butch", and he left such a bad taste in all our mouths, that anything that's not Butch = must be waaaaay better. and in defense of that, i think most everything he's done that's been related directly to football and culture for the program has been fixing some of the things BSIA left behind, and by all accounts needed to be fixed.

so, while i think most can at least take that for what it is, and acknowledge it appears to be going in the right direction...at the end of the day, if all that doesn't translate on to the w/l column, it won't matter much, and he'll just wind up being the next coach we fire.

or not. :)

bottom line for me, as previously stated, we already know what it looks like if this goes south. so i'm going to keep looking at it for the paths that lead to success. we'll know it pretty quick if we see it headed down the other path.

tl/dr version....i like what i've seen so far, i'm encouraged by the direction we're headed in......i'm not going to tell anyone that Pruitt is definitely good or bad yet, cause that's firmly in the TBD camp as of today.
True. And add that I'll be patient with that determination. I know some resent the on the job training/learning but that's the direction we went. As long as the trend is upward, I'm in.

The no hesitation to correct choices like Helton does inspire confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back