SEC Records since expansion

Kills me how a person takes something so out of context. When our fans and admins treated CPF the way they did, every decent coach we had and every decent coach in the country avoided us like the plague. It was one of those consequences that our brilliant minded NegaVols didn't count on. In essence, when we treated Fulmer like an idiot every decent coach in the country Xed us off their future destinations list. Coaching stability is a real thing I feel, and before you mention the cheating commies down in Tuscaloosa it's yet to be seen what happens to them after so much coaching turnover. Their defense has clearly gotten worse since Kirby and CJP have left. If we can keep our current staff together a few years I feel like we can have a successful football program the next few years.

Nobody else wanted Fulmer either. Just saying

If you thought things were gonna be better by getting rid of Fulmer, Cutcliffe and Chavis after their success then you don't know sports. Our fringe lunatic fans think you can just snap your fingers and be better, doesn't work that way. Lots of sensible fans predicted exactly what would happen when our fringe NegaVols ran that staff out of town and it really wasn't that hard of a prediction to make!
You can say our problem was getting rid of Fulmer, and on the face of it, we'd all trade our last 10 years for Phil's last 10 years...or even 5 years. Problem wasn't getting rid of Fulmer...the problem was having folks in charge that didn't know how to hire a football coach. We rushed into the first two hires, and bought the third from a snake-oil salesman. The following upper level teams have recently hired coaches who have done as well or better than their predecessor...Auburn, LSU, TaM, UGA...UF (jury out). We didn't hire folks who even kept things at same level...guys like Coach O or Gus...we made THREE historically bad coaching decisions. Counting Kiffin b/c of his "one and done", and NCAA issues. I feel that Pruitt is moving us in right direction, but it takes time un-doing our decade of dysfunction.

giphy.gif

You can say our problem was getting rid of Fulmer, and on the face of it, we'd all trade our last 10 years for Phil's last 10 years...or even 5 years.
Yes, but that's purely a function of BVS, Battered Vol Syndrome. When we get a taste of success again, the expectations and demands of people shoot right back up. It seems like it was ages ago now, but remember there were grumblings about Butch after 2016 and he came into 2017 on a hot seat. That was after back-to-back 8-4 regular seasons that ended in bowl victories. Hell, that sounds really good right now, much less Phil's last 5 years.

The longer time goes on, the more I've come to believe that the abyss Tennessee football fell into ultimately was caused more by the panic hire of Dooley after Kiffin's abrupt departure than anything else. Hamilton could have appointed Kippy (or someone else) interim for the 2010 season, and then taken a large amount of time and due diligence and find an actual coach for 2011. Instead he panicked and hired DD, who was probably the most in-over-his-head SEC coach of the last 50 years, and we were stuck with him for 3 years.

But there's no real way around it though...the current state of the program isn't caused by any one single thing. There was a bad decision and negative consequences from that, which puts you in a more difficult place when there's time to make another big decision, and on it goes.

Nobody else wanted Fulmer either. Just saying
Another somewhat false statement. CPF has stated he had opportunities to coach but none of them excited him enough to take. Our negavols and those calling to get Fulmer fired at that time now come up with anything to justify them being so wrong way back then. It looked like a stupid move back then and history has determined that it was. Kind of ironic now that he is back on the Hill and seemingly doing well, I hope we are successful with this current staff under Fulmer's realm and I hope his success gives all the NegaVol Fulmer haters the hives!

Its the have and have nots. Alabama 51wins is far ahead. Then ga 41 LSU 36 Florida 35 and texas a&m 30. There are 9 teams with .500 or less win pct.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I'm curious as to what many on here thought would happen when we ran off every coach that was part of a 151-50 run! The fringe lunatic fans that think the grass is always greener somewhere else got us in this mess and it's taken 10 years to finally get a competent coaching staff.
If you are talking about the same coach that had two losing seasons in his last four and a downward spiral since the '01 season, I think it was time to let him go. That's the only thing administration got right. All of the coaching hires since then have been wrong. But, we'll see in another three football seasons if this hire is right.

Another somewhat false statement. CPF has stated he had opportunities to coach but none of them excited him enough to take. Our negavols and those calling to get Fulmer fired at that time now come up with anything to justify them being so wrong way back then. It looked like a stupid move back then and history has determined that it was. Kind of ironic now that he is back on the Hill and seemingly doing well, I hope we are successful with this current staff under Fulmer's realm and I hope his success gives all the NegaVol Fulmer haters the hives!

Seems I only remember Fulmer commenting about various job opportunities that he was interested in them only to not have any return that interest.

Really a testament to the past decade of incompetence that UT has spent so much money and still can't get ahead of a school like Vanderbilt that doesn't even see sports as justifying an athletic department.

Is this Battered Fulmer Syndrome?

Seems I only remember Fulmer commenting about various job opportunities that he was interested in them only to not have any return that interest.
You recall wrong. Believe it or not but there are folks who have actually talked personally with CPF about this very thing. You sir believed the mob over reality if that's how you feel.

Reactions: Pacer92
Mike Hamilton
Lane Kiffin
Derek Dooley
Butch Jones
Jimmy Cheek
John Curie
Beverly Davenport

After reading these names, I'm surprised we haven't lost even more

Reactions: VolsGrad1989

VN Store

Back