Anything Short of winning the East is a...............

I'm not afraid of Danny Mullen. Jeremy knows he can coach circles around him. The talent is close and it will surpass them Very soon.

I don't remember saying anything about being afraid of anyone. Until he does coach circles around him, it doesn't matter what he thinks. I think he's a better coach than Mullen, but he hasn't proven it yet and until he does, he's not.

For those claiming we are "headed in the right direction:" we lost to East rivals Florida, UGA, Missouri, and Vanderbilt by 26, 26, 33, and 25 points last year, right at an average of a 4 TD deficit to each. We closed strong to build a 2-5 record against Vandy in the past 7 seasons and miss a bowl.

Our recruiting is well behind our SEC rivals, we've lost a couple of our only real bright positions from last year, and I didn't see anything from the spring game to suggest that the O-line will be able to complete at a reasonable level.

Like him or not, we have a completely unproven head coach.

Help me understand the optimism.

Nope.

Should be a second year jump. With the schedule, 8 wins should be what's expected. Anything less is underachieving and anything more is overachieving. OTOH, I could see us going 3-9 with no conference wins if BYU comes to play and the coaches lose the team in November again.

Should be a second year jump. With the schedule, 8 wins should be what's expected. Anything less is underachieving and anything more is overachieving. OTOH, I could see us going 3-9 with no conference wins if BYU comes to play and the coaches lose the team in November again.

No doubt you can see it and I believe you pretty much hope for it. I believe your perfect season this year would end in firing Pruitt and hiring whoever would be first on your list.

Seriously, what record would it take this season for you to want to keep Pruitt?

No doubt you can see it and I believe you pretty much hope for it. I believe your perfect season this year would end in firing Pruitt and hiring whoever would be first on your list.

Seriously, what record would it take this season for you to want to keep Pruitt?
8-4 shuts me up as long as recruiting is top 10ish, or better. 9-3 with a top 10 recruiting class and I'm pumping shine. 7-5 and I'm probably staying pat. 6-6 or worse and I think 2021 needs to be a SEC championship game appearance or gtfo of town situation.

Reactions: Rockyjr
8-4 shuts me up as long as recruiting is top 10ish, or better. 9-3 with a top 10 recruiting class and I'm pumping shine. 7-5 and I'm probably staying pat. 6-6 or worse and I think 2021 needs to be a SEC championship game appearance or gtfo of town situation.
Really, 8-4? That's fair. If it's worse than 6-6 this year, I'd lose all hope of him taking us to Atlanta.

Reactions: Rockyjr
Georgia is the Ala. of the East. Not gonna dethrone them for several years. They recruit on a level of Clemson and Ala.

FB_IMG_1559332213564.jpg
We don't have the talented kids on our team we may have the coaches but not enough talented kids on our team. Like I said from the start we need 4 full recruiting cycles and each cycle we need to be ranked higher and higher to the point on year 5 we are fighting for the number 1 recruiting class and then we need to keep that.

You better prepare to be disappointed then. Bama, Georgia, and Florida have much better talent. We need to learn how to beat Vandy, USC, & Missouri before we get hyped up about championships.

The expectation every year should be championships, but that needs to be in the minds of the staff and players. Fans cannot insert it into them like a coin in a vending machine.

Y’all are nuts.

Sure we could be in the mix but honestly we’re probably looking at another 5-7 type season.

Then honestly? If they can't do better than that, we will be looking for another coach. Especially if one of those 7 is those hacks from Nashville.

Disappointment!!! We have the talent according to recruiting services and we have the coaches according to everyone here so how should we expect less?
Yeah I mean since we have been such an intimidating powerhouse the past few years I can imagine everyone in the SEC is just trembling in their cleats.

Every offseason, I'm convinced that many Tennessee fans have either watched no football for the past 5 years or are completely insane.

Partially correct. We are insane from watching UT football the past many years.

Being optimistic is more fun and it doesn't hurt anything. Thinking we win the East this year is over the top, but who really cares what someone else thinks?

I think Pruitt is going to be a good HC, I hope we see solid evidence of that this season. Chaney is a good OC and most think he's an upgrade to what we had in Helton last season, not to mention what he's capable of doing with JG! I'm excited about the additions of Ansley and Tee.

I mean, there are many things to be optimistic about if you want to be optimistic. Plenty of suck to find if that's your thing too. But, I think you already knew all of that.

Great post.

View attachment 207458
We don't have the talented kids on our team we may have the coaches but not enough talented kids on our team. Like I said from the start we need 4 full recruiting cycles and each cycle we need to be ranked higher and higher to the point on year 5 we are fighting for the number 1 recruiting class and then we need to keep that.

Well that isn't right. They had 14 last year. They added 5 this class. They also lost a load of guys. I saw 16 was quoted elsewhere and that seemed more accurate. But I do believe we account for the other 2...3 if Trey comes back.

Reactions: KBVol
Disappointment!!! We have the talent according to recruiting services and we have the coaches according to everyone here so how should we expect less?

Set the bar high, reach for the stars or end up with a handful of dust
Go Vols

Hoping for no major injuries, at least 6-7 wins and a top 10-15 recruiting class. I'd be very content with this and consider it progress.
This is where I'm at. Anything more is a bonus for this year.

When you realize where you are, in the scheme of things, the road to where you want to be, becomes immensely clearer. We are, at best, a middle of the road SEC Team, at the moment. We lack the talent, depth, and experience, in key places, to be much more.
I would love 8-9 wins, at this juncture. Most of us would. It would signify that CJP and staff are getting the most out of these players. 6 or 7 wins, would signify the same, at a lesser level. These are not "Lowered" Expectations. I'd say they are realistic expectations, in the toughest conference, in college football.
Beat the teams we should beat. Compete hard against the upper echelon, and maybe.....just maybe, pull off an upset, or two. I stand by my 6-7 win prediction, and a possible bowl win. Baby steps. The 1000 mile journey begins with one step. Last season, and in the off season, I think we took several steps, on that journey.
Do folks really get how far we've fallen? I am sure the old guys are pretty sure the extent of the collapse. I mean, we talk of games we "CANNOT" win. That was not an issue, for a long long time. No one was safe. Even on a down year, UT had the talent to beat ANYONE.

Reactions: VolinMC
Pump the brakes... anything short Missing out on a bowl game is a dissapointment. I think 8-5 is pretty reasonable with a upset or two

VN Store

Back