Anything Short of winning the East is a...............

For those claiming we are "headed in the right direction:" we lost to East rivals Florida, UGA, Missouri, and Vanderbilt by 26, 26, 33, and 25 points last year, right at an average of a 4 TD deficit to each. We closed strong to build a 2-5 record against Vandy in the past 7 seasons and miss a bowl.

Our recruiting is well behind our SEC rivals, we've lost a couple of our only real bright positions from last year, and I didn't see anything from the spring game to suggest that the O-line will be able to complete at a reasonable level.

Like him or not, we have a completely unproven head coach.

Help me understand the optimism.

For those claiming we are "headed in the right direction:" we lost to East rivals Florida, UGA, Missouri, and Vanderbilt by 26, 26, 33, and 25 points last year, right at an average of a 4 TD deficit to each. We closed strong to build a 2-5 record against Vandy in the past 7 seasons and miss a bowl.

Our recruiting is well behind our SEC rivals, we've lost a couple of our only real bright positions from last year, and I didn't see anything from the spring game to suggest that the O-line will be able to complete at a reasonable level.

Just because some of us think we are headed in the right direction doesnt mean we think UT will be world beaters. We recruited good this year and some returning talent that hopefully gets coached up. We have a proven OC now and a HC that calls it like he sees it and he is excited for this year. There are different levels of optimism and I think some is warranted this year. You can check my stats and it will prove that I am as critical as anyone but to think we are sitting stagnant and not moving in the right directions in just bull headed IMO. Nobody(hopefully) is going to argue that we didnt suck last year but we have had a whole year with strength and conditioning and I think the guys will look better this year. You know, like SEC players :)

Last edited:
Reactions: MemphisVol77
heck, since we're dreaming why stop with the East...why not the SEC Championship...then the National Championship...:D

PS. now, I know why there is a opiate epidemic...:)

GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: bullet20
Just because some of us think we are headed in the right direction doesnt mean we think UT will be world beaters. We recruited good this year and some returning talent that hopefully gets coached up. We have a proven OC now and a HC that calls it like he sees it and he is excited for this year. There are different levels of optimism and I think some is warranted this year. You can check my stats and it will prove that I am as critical as anyone but to think we are sitting stagnant and not moving in the right directions in just bull headed IMO. Nobody(hopefully) is going to argue that we didnt suck last year but we have had a whole year with strength and conditioning and I think the guys will look better this year. You know, like SEC players :)
I get that, and I hope they've magically transformed in the past few months, but I've heard all this every single off-season. I know it sounds pessimistic, but we look a lot like a team that lacks an SEC-caliber QB, OL, DL, and LB corps. Our RB stable is maybe middle of the SEC, and we have no legitimate go-to deep threat burner at WR. I think there are some guys that can play in the secondary, but still a lot of youth.

I get that, and I hope they've magically transformed in the past few months, but I've heard all this every single off-season. I know it sounds pessimistic, but we look a lot like a team that lacks an SEC-caliber QB, OL, DL, and LB corps. Our RB stable is maybe middle of the SEC, and we have no legitimate go-to deep threat burner at WR. I think there are some guys that can play in the secondary, but still a lot of youth.
I cant really argue with most of your points but I am hoping this off season done the players some good and they added some MUCH needed size. We def have some glaring issues but I think we are headed in the right direction and maybe the guys learn to win this year. Off season SUCKS!

Being optimistic is more fun and it doesn't hurt anything. Thinking we win the East this year is over the top, but who really cares what someone else thinks?

I think Pruitt is going to be a good HC, I hope we see solid evidence of that this season. Chaney is a good OC and most think he's an upgrade to what we had in Helton last season, not to mention what he's capable of doing with JG! I'm excited about the additions of Ansley and Tee.

I mean, there are many things to be optimistic about if you want to be optimistic. Plenty of suck to find if that's your thing too. But, I think you already knew all of that.

Being optimistic is more fun and it doesn't hurt anything. Thinking we win the East this year is over the top, but who really cares what someone else thinks?

I think Pruitt is going to be a good HC, I hope we see solid evidence of that this season. Chaney is a good OC and most think he's an upgrade to what we had in Helton last season, not to mention what he's capable of doing with JG! I'm excited about the additions of Ansley and Tee.

I mean, there are many things to be optimistic about if you want to be optimistic. Plenty of suck to find if that's your thing too. But, I think you already knew all of that.
Ha, I do. And, I'm probably being more negative than I should be, but losing to Vandy 5 out of 7 and watching the team give up at the end of last year will do that to a man.

Reactions: Behr and bigdaddy
Ha, I do. And, I'm probably being more negative than I should be, but losing to Vandy 5 out of 7 and watching the team give up at the end of last year will do that to a man.
That is the most disturbing record of all time. It’s ****ing Vandy!!! You don’t lose to Vandy

Reactions: Rockyjr

Yeah I get it and sometimes talking with friends I get a little negative and pessimistic too, I mean, if we lose to Vandy this year... Well I just can't afford to even think about it. Like I said, it's more fun to look at the good stuff.

I can't explain how excited I am about Derrick Ansley, and no matter how I feel about Tee personally, I think having him here is a really good thing.

It's football.

Yeah I get it and sometimes talking with friends I get a little negative and pessimistic too, I mean, if we lose to Vandy this year... Well I just can't afford to even think about it. Like I said, it's more fun to look at the good stuff.

I can't explain how excited I am about Derrick Ansley, and no matter how I feel about Tee personally, I think having him here is a really good thing.

It's football.
If we lose to Vandy this year the wheels have officially fallen off the bus. Burn this bitch to the ground

GA has the talent according to the recruiting services after multiple #1 classes. We should hit 3rd in the east unless there are some upsets against GA and FL, but we can't seem to get past SC, Missouri, and Vanderbilt yet.
We won't be third.

This is a ridiculous take and totally unfair to Pruitt.

8-4. That is the goal. 9-3, that is the extended goal. Anything above that is totally unrealistic. We are starting 3 teenagers, 2 true freshmen, on the offensive line.

It's Georgia's division by a mile. Our barometers of success this year are focused on four games:
BYU, Miss ST, SCAR, @Mizzou Beating BYU, a game we SHOULD win, and competing against and beating those three SEC teams that are in a similar place to Tennessee IMO. Those are 3 tough SEC games, all at home, that we have a great chance to win.

We are NOT winning in Tuscaloosa, baring a miracle not beating Georgia.. and I've personally seen way too many FLA/UT games in GVille to feel good about that game. People conveniently forget they totally whipped us last year.

You mean to tell me if Pruitt goes 9-3 with loses @FLA @bama, UGA.. that's a disappointment? Did you not watch us get physically mauled by almost every single conference opponent + WVU last season?

Come on guys..

Georgia started a true freshman or two on the OL last year, and did OK. That's no longer a valid excuse in today's game where freshmen routinely go to the NC game leading their team.

If we lose to Vandy this year the wheels have officially fallen off the bus. Burn this bitch to the ground
Yea that's why I don't even like thinking about it.

You'd think there would be no way to beat Florida and lose to Vandy, but.... Been there. So, seeing how important the Florida game is to me, and no I don't expect to win, but I play the "what if"game in my head. Would beating Florida excuse losing to Vandy this year? No, not even for me.

Can't lose to Vandy. Just can't.

All that said, I believe Pruitt's got this. I think he's done losing to Vandy.

Reactions: Rockyjr and KBVol
Yea that's why I don't even like thinking about it.

You'd think there would be no way to beat Florida and lose to Vandy, but.... Been there. So, seeing how important the Florida game is to me, and no I don't expect to win, but I play the "what if"game in my head. Would beating Florida excuse losing to Vandy this year? No, not even for me.

Can't lose to Vandy. Just can't.

All that said, I believe Pruitt's got this. I think he's done losing to Vandy.
I'm not afraid of Danny Mullen. Jeremy knows he can coach circles around him. The talent is close and it will surpass them Very soon.

Started 1. Cade Mays. If you followed Tennessee recruiting, you may know who he is.

5 star. Super Talented.. and was their worst offensive linemen starter. He would have been one of Tennessee's 7-10 best players on the entire roster last year. Not even close to comparable.

I'm sorry, but if you think Tennessee's program today is even in the same stratosphere as Georgia was last year, you either need to put down the bottle or you're flat out delusional.

Disappointment!!! We have the talent according to recruiting services and we have the coaches according to everyone here so how should we expect less?

Here we go, so, if we don't, then fire Pruitt?..............I don't think we are there yet people........I would love nothing less that for this team to shock the fricken world, but we are 1 to 2 years away from making statements like this before we play a game.

VN Store

Back