Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

But at this juncture in his career should we have to push him to be assertive, especially when considering circumstance? We can change subtle things in hopes of improving intangibles but offensively the likelihood of him becoming a consistent jump shooter is unlikely. He can mimic many of the things Kyle provided last year but he will never be a true rim protector like Kyle. Yes, he did block some shots last year but not in the sense that it makes guys think twice about going to the cup.
It is just odd that we have seen two vastly different versions of him as a player. My only explanation is that in his absence due to the elbow injury, a couple alpha dogs stepped up (Willuans and Schofield). When he returned a year later, Fulk wasn't the same player. Was he intimidated? Was he unsure of the stability in that elbow? I don't know, but perhaps with GW and AS gone and another year removed from injury for Fulk, perhaps he makes a move to be that more aggressive player, offensively.

Defensively, you're right. He probably isn't going to be that rim protector. He is rather athletic and is able to get in and block shots from behind/side, but he isn't going to stand in the paint and go up and challenge people at the rim.

Reactions: MoB_MoVols
Bailey sounds a little like Daniel/Darrington minus the immediate eligibility. If he gets one of our 2 remaining 2020-21 spots I hope he makes a bigger contribution than the Double Ds did combined.
His stats are similar to those of Scooter McFadgon's at Memphis before transferring to Tennessee. An impact like SM had at Tennessee would be extremely welcomed.

Bailey sounds a little like Daniel/Darrington minus the immediate eligibility. If he gets one of our 2 remaining 2020-21 spots I hope he makes a bigger contribution than the Double Ds did combined.
Difference being he's played P5 basketball. He's not coming from a Mid Major and he was rated high coming out of HS.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
It is just odd that we have seen two vastly different versions of him as a player. My only explanation is that in his absence due to the elbow injury, a couple alpha dogs stepped up (Willuans and Schofield). When he returned a year later, Fulk wasn't the same player. Was he intimidated? Was he unsure of the stability in that elbow? I don't know, but perhaps with GW and AS gone and another year removed from injury for Fulk, perhaps he makes a move to be that more aggressive player, offensively.

Defensively, you're right. He probably isn't going to be that rim protector. He is rather athletic and is able to get in and block shots from behind/side, but he isn't going to stand in the paint and go up and challenge people at the rim.

He looks like he just lost his rhythm.. I think it's tough in hoops to notice that with players who especially play with loads of effort. Very good point! But even pre injury we knew that he would never command 10-15 touches a game in any fashion. If he were a stretch 4 he would be dangerous when coupled with that same effort. But whether he's 6'8 or 6'9 this is it. He's our Kevon Looney from the warriors. Not here to wow you with stats but his heady play and effort allows for him to remain on the floor

Reactions: cncchris33
He has yet to deny that Bailey is the intended target and with the hint he gave, I tend to believe Bailey is the player in question. Was a key reserve for Oregon last year, a top 100 player, and a quality addition.

HS ratings don't mean much to me after the he reaches college (especially after his So year) - look no further than our team for confirmation of that. He averaged a little over 7 pts/game and about 1 assist per game. He had several games where he had 20+ minutes but in the last 3 games he played 7,4, and 1 minutes, respectively. Per an article on his transfer, his minutes decreased during Oregon's 12 game win streak. Unless we aren't getting Springer, not sure why we want this guy.

HS ratings don't mean much to me after the he reaches college (especially after his So year) - look no further than our team for confirmation of that. He averaged a little over 7 pts/game and about 1 assist per game. He had several games where he had 20+ minutes but in the last 3 games he played 7,4, and 1 minutes, respectively. Per an article on his transfer, his minutes decreased during Oregon's 12 game win streak. Unless we aren't getting Springer, not sure why we want this guy.
2018-19 | SOPHOMORE SEASON
Ranked ninth in the Pac-12 in 3-point field goal percentage (.398) … Appeared in 37 games with eight starts ... Sank 4-of-5 threes as part of his 14 points March 6 at Washington State … Made four threes and scored 13 points Feb. 23 at UCLA … Had 11 points versus Stanford, including a team-high three three-pointers … Recorded a season-high four assists vs. Cal … Collected 13 points vs. Arizona … Registered 10 points vs. USC … Netted a career-high 20 points with five rebounds against UCLA … Scored 11 points vs. Oregon State … Made first career start against Florida A&M and scored 16 points … Acquired 13 points versus Boise State … Earned 16 points and career-high 6 rebounds against Omaha … Had 13 points and two steals versus Texas Southern … Scored 12 points versus Iowa.

His times 40 scoring would be double digits? and this is against good competition. Played on a guard heavy team. Adds experience at a crucial position in the 20-21 season and gives your youngsters time to grow.

See my comparison to Scooter McFadgon.

I have never seen him play, but his numbers (Just like scooter's) suggest a shooting guard that could play PG, if needed. Maybe Barnes is looking for a Turner replacement in '21 and doesn't feel like we are in on one? His decreasing minutes during the win streak might be my biggest concern. Is he not a team player? His low assists and decreasing minutes make me wonder.

I have never seen him play, but his numbers (Just like scooter's) suggest a shooting guard that could play PG, if needed. Maybe Barnes is looking for a Turner replacement in '21 and doesn't feel like we are in on one? His decreasing minutes during the win streak might be my biggest concern. Is he not a team player? His low assists and decreasing minutes make me wonder.
Turner might be a good recent comparison. Not sure what the angle Barnes is using to justify taking him, if he is indeed the player in question. I ,too, am much more in favor of taking a freshman in 2020 or 2021 based on the kind of talent we are in on, especially since Bailey would occupy a scholarship while sitting out. Still, Kim English has a relationship with the kid from his time at Tulsa. Bailey is from Austin, TX, so I assume Barnes may have a relationship, as well. They know more about him than any of us will, so I will (reluctantly, perhaps) defer to them.

Turner might be a good recent comparison. Not sure what the angle Barnes is using to justify taking him, if he is indeed the player in question. I ,too, am much more in favor of taking a freshman in 2020 or 2021 based on the kind of talent we are in on, especially since Bailey would occupy a scholarship while sitting out. Still, Kim English has a relationship with the kid from his time at Tulsa. Bailey is from Austin, TX, so I assume Barnes may have a relationship, as well. They know more about him than any of us will, so I will (reluctantly, perhaps) defer to them.

All good points, Chris. I had hoped that our program was at a stage to where we were not taking non-starters off of a team that I didn't consider to be as good as we were. If this is the guy, I hope he proves me wrong.

All good points, Chris. I had hoped that our program was at a stage to where we were not taking non-starters off of a team that I didn't consider to be as good as we were. If this is the guy, I hope he proves me wrong.
Well, Oregon and Altman have a damn good thing going right now. But, I get what u are saying and agree with u. Barnes and UT seem like they are on so many top 100 players in the '20 class that it doesn't make sense, to me, to take this Bailey kid considering he will have to sit out a year and only be eligible to play for 2 years. If it happens, hope he proves me wrong, too

Well, Oregon and Altman have a damn good thing going right now. But, I get what u are saying and agree with u. Barnes and UT seem like they are on so many top 100 players in the '20 class that it doesn't make sense, to me, to take this Bailey kid considering he will have to sit out a year and only be eligible to play for 2 years. If it happens, hope he proves me wrong, too
Barnes and staff may feel that Springer is headed to UNC. I can see the logic of bringing in experience to go along with another group of freshmen guards. And Bailey is still just speculation. Also a lot of questions on what the attrition rate might be end of next season. James could explode and be a one and done. Plavsic if he gets to play and impresses could leave because of his age. If Kent doesn't produce, does he stay.

Barnes and staff may feel that Springer is headed to UNC. I can see the logic of bringing in experience to go along with another group of freshmen guards. And Bailey is still just speculation. Also a lot of questions on what the attrition rate might be end of next season. James could explode and be a one and done. Plavsic if he gets to play and impresses could leave because of his age. If Kent doesn't produce, does he stay.
It’s between tenn and unc, I personally think we’re in a great spot and he could even land here. Obviously it hurts our chances if we get victor, but I still don’t think it would put us out of the running.

With the news that they will oversign it doesn’t bother me much, essentially pulling from bottom of roster, not costing a 2020 recruit.

Reactions: Vols All Day
After this year what does our depth at the 1/2 look like for the 2020-2021 season?

Certainly one way of looking at it but not accurate imo
Agree. He is taking up a scholarship that a 2020 kid could have had, no matter how you look at it. That over signed scholarship could just as easily have gone to an additional freshman. Even worse, that scholarship lays idle for a year while he sits out.

Agree. He is taking up a scholarship that a 2020 kid could have had, no matter how you look at it. That over signed scholarship could just as easily have gone to an additional freshman. Even worse, that scholarship lays idle for a year while he sits out.

Like I said previously, if you’re saying we can only sign 12 instead of 13 then sure, but I doubt that was ever the case. If the plan had been to sign 3 in the fall all along, then they take a transfer and still opt to sign 3, how do that take a 2020 spot?

Balancing classes out is also important, I don’t think adding another freshman to this class would be a great idea long term.

Yea as I said sometimes we all are wrong around here
And based on what I’ve heard I think the theory of this “costing us a 2020 recruit” is false. Like I said, if the plan was to sign 3 and they take a transfer they are still more than willing to sign 3 come fall.

And based on what I’ve heard I think the theory of this “costing us a 2020 recruit” is false. Like I said, if the plan was to sign 3 and they take a transfer they are still more than willing to sign 3 come fall.

So we are taking 3 more in November in the 20 class ?

Want to go on the record with that?

That they sign 3 in November? Absolutely, assuming they can land them they 100% will sign 3 in November, I could even potentially see it being 4.

3 more

Oversigning means taking more than Walker, Johnson and Springer to me. If we are really going over this over signing thing that means 4 total with walker on board

VN Store

Back