'19 MD PF Olivier Robinson-Nkamhoua (Signed 5/8/2019)

Ahhh another poster who lacks the ability to tell the difference between "facts" and " opinions" but that is becoming more of the norm these days.
The same material can be fact or opinion. The source of the evaluation is what matters. I have facts. You have opinions.

Tobias was a 5* playing in the U. S. and plenty of exposure to the rating services. I think ORN has very good skills and, with the history of our coaching staff's ability to develop players, he should do very well. I also expect Burns to do well this year. We could have enough depth to have a 20-25 wins this year, especially if Williams returns.

I could be wrong, and I don’t expect Williams to return; however if he does, I think Tennessee will be just as good next as they were this past season. Now I would not expect a 28-4 regular season. However 24 or 25 wins could be expected, and an Sec championship run and probably a sweet 16 run (all could be a bit better or just slightly worse).

But with Williams I see it much like this past season.

Boom. Hopefully another diamond in the rough.

Need 4 and 5 star players to be worth 5 mil.
I was kinda thinking the same thing. On one hand, Barnes has proven he can identify and develop players, which is fantastic. He's signed a nice class. On the other hand, you look at Rivals 2019 class, and KY is #5, UGA #6, UF #9, Aub #13, and we're #25... where we should hypothetically be pretty hot on top shelf guys from our success the past two years, and $5MM man. Number of signees makes a difference w/ bball, but, especially if Bone/Grant leave, you'd like to round out the class w/ some higher level grad transfers, b/c we won't have luxury of having guys be developmental projects when the season rolls around...if we expect to contend for SEC Championship level again.

I was kinda thinking the same thing. On one hand, Barnes has proven he can identify and develop players, which is fantastic. He's signed a nice class. On the other hand, you look at Rivals 2019 class, and KY is #5, UGA #6, UF #9, Aub #13, and we're #25... where we should hypothetically be pretty hot on top shelf guys from our success the past two years, and $5MM man. Number of signees makes a difference w/ bball, but, especially if Bone/Grant leave, you'd like to round out the class w/ some higher level grad transfers, b/c we won't have luxury of having guys be developmental projects when the season rolls around...if we expect to contend for SEC Championship level again.

Bingo

You're exactly right. They all are very skilled, all good length and athleticism for their size and positions. All of them need some time in the weight room. No big deal. All of then should be able to give us some spot minutes at times this year if necessary as well.

I'm starting to see this as being a poor man's version of Louisville when they were so long and athletic. We struggled with that match up due to their length and athleticism. Not saying we'll be anywhere near that level, but I do think we will pose a problem for some opponents....if they're capable and willing to play the kind of defense Barnes wants.

This class is the cloest we have been to those schools since Bruce was here. I am not worried where we are. Bruce is likely the best coach of the four you mentioned ahead of us.

Within the realm of hoops recruiting many of the top prospects commit to the more established powers who have more than 2+ years success. Also with college hoops having such roster turnover coupled with the one and done rule further supports the norm to see the top caliber prospect follow the same trajectory year in and year out. Now to answer your question, a primary reason as to why we were able to land Josiah James.. relationships. In the case of Georgia in particular the relationship answer may not fit but the circumstance which meshes with what Anthony Edwards in particular is looking for is a fit. The Grad Transfer market is tricky with many being placed in early February which hurt us in particular this year with the uncertainty surrounding our Jr's status at the time. So it's about timing to a degree as were able to land ORN (who is a Rivals 150 player) today but for the most part it's about relationships. And did I mention the AAU factor?

Reactions: cardvolfan

2020 will be a good class. 5 star already committed with other high level players having significant interest.

This class is the cloest we have been to those schools since Bruce was here. I am not worried where we are. Bruce is likely the best coach of the four you mentioned ahead of us.

Yep, Rick is like 6-4 against Calipari in 4 years, and Cal has had better classes. UF has a high rated class, but 3 of their 6 are projects. They will be good because of returning talent.

Looks pretty average in the post playing HS games at 6-8. Prob 6-6 or 6-7 if typical recruiting measurements are used instead of UTs own.

That being said this boy has some handles out in transition and really good vision and passing ability. Could be a very interesting player with that history and skillset? I'd say he gets the PF label due to lack of consistency at mid to longer range shooting. Didn't see much of that in film. Usually for a reason.

ORN seems like a good addition.

If Grant dont come back we still need a grad transfer post though.

This doesn't look like an instant answer as a rim protector / rebounder. Intrigued in other ways tho. I think we need a Donta Hall type next year.

Without Williams I believe we'll have enough size without question but I dont see anyone we can throw it down to and get a big basket when we need it unless Burns or Kent are better than I thought and that's not a knock against either of them.

Tennessee added an intriguing piece to it’s 2019 recruiting puzzle today with the addition of European import Olivier Robinson-Nkamhoua from Bishop Walsh High School in Columbus, Md. He made an official visit to Tennessee this past weekend, and the Vols closed the deal in a hurry, snagging his commitment less than 48 hours after he returned home. Robinson-Nkamhoua didn’t know he was going to commit prior to his visit, but he started getting good vibes about Rick Barnes’ program the moment he got off the airplane with his family. “Tennessee started making an impression on me when we were at the airport and I saw that Coach Barnes and the whole staff were there to meet us,” he said. “That might seem like a little thing to some people, but it was big to me. I just started to feel a family vibe from that moment and it lasted the whole weekend. “I really liked the city, it was easy to talk to people, there was a lot going on, but the biggest factor in my decision was just the people. There are great people in that program. I could tell that from the way all the coaches and the players interacted with one another. “The facilities were great, the campus was great, I liked the academic side of things but at the end of the day I could just tell that the coaches care about their players, they have their best interest at heart and they have strong relationships. That’s what I want to be a part of.”
One common refrain from prospects that pick Tennessee these days, in addition to the family feel, is that they’re impressed with the player development aspect of the program. There’s no better example of that than two-time SEC Player of the Year Grant Williams, who is a potential first-round draft pick this summer, a guy who arrived in Knoxville with virtually no other high major options. Similarly, Admiral Schofield went from a completely unheralded recruit to an All-Conference performer and someone who should hear his name called on draft night as well. Their success, as well as that of others in the program, caught Robinson-Nkamhoua’s attention from the moment Tennessee started recruiting them. “Once Tennessee started talking to me I did some research and saw what kind of team they had built with guys who weren’t that highly recruited,” he said. “This weekend they showed me some ‘before-and-after’ pictures of those guys and it was amazing to see the work that they had obviously put in in the weight room, not just on the court. “You can tell that Coach Barnes and the whole staff believe in player development and they obviously put a lot of time and effort into it. That’s what I need as a player. I feel like I have a lot of potential but I know that I’m not anywhere near where I need to be as a player and I believe Tennessee can help me get there.”
The coaching staff helped reinforce that notion in one pitch that hit home with Robinson-Nkamhoua this weekend. Plenty of coaches —especially on an official visit— lean heavily towards telling a prospect how great he is and how he’ll be able to help the team immediately. That’s not what Robinson-Nkamhoua from Barnes. “I was really amazed, they put on my game tape and probably had more thoughts about my game than I do,” he said. “I couldn’t believe how well they knew my strengths and my weaknesses. They broke everything down for me, showed me what I do well, showed me the things that I have to get better at and then they showed me the gameplan they had for helping me to do that. That really impressed me.” Robinson-Nkamhoua came out of nowhere as a prospect this winter. He originally moved to the States from Finland prior to his junior year but broke his leg before the basketball season and was lost for the year. Because of that he was flying under the radar as a prospect.
That’s no longer the case. He came from off the map to being a player with multiple high major offers and a member of the Rivals Top-150 in the just revamped rankings. His stock began building slowly, starting with an offer from nearby Mt. St. Mary’s in Maryland last summer and then slowly building with other mid-major offers, but by the time 2019 hit it was clear that Robinson-Nkamhoua was headed for high major basketball in a power conference. He visited Illinois and Pittsburgh before visiting Tennessee, turned down Maryland who pursued him vigorously and cancelled a planned trip to Minnesota for this upcoming weekend. “When I first got here (to the States) I didn’t even know the difference between low major, mid major or high major, I just knew ‘Division One,’” Robinson-Nkamhoua said of getting acclimated to the recruiting game. “When I got that first offer I was really happy, but then I started researching things, seeing that there were different levels of college basketball and I felt like I could play on a bigger stage. “I just kept grinding and working and fortunately I got lucky and it paid off. I’m very happy to be here.”
Robinson-Nkamhoua said that he plans to sign a National Letter of Intent this week. He graduates from high school on May 24 and will then move to Knoxville to enroll in the first session of summer school.
-VQ

Within the realm of hoops recruiting many of the top prospects commit to the more established powers who have more than 2+ years success. Also with college hoops having such roster turnover coupled with the one and done rule further supports the norm to see the top caliber prospect follow the same trajectory year in and year out. Now to answer your question, a primary reason as to why we were able to land Josiah James.. relationships. In the case of Georgia in particular the relationship answer may not fit but the circumstance which meshes with what Anthony Edwards in particular is looking for is a fit. The Grad Transfer market is tricky with many being placed in early February which hurt us in particular this year with the uncertainty surrounding our Jr's status at the time. So it's about timing to a degree as were able to land ORN (who is a Rivals 150 player) today but for the most part it's about relationships. And did I mention the AAU factor?

Rick is paid top dollar. All the above sounds like BS. He needs to win at a high level. No drop offs. Whether he does it with 5 star or 3 star guys is irrelevant, but he needs to do it.

Reactions: The Dog and OnOne
Rick is paid top dollar. All the above sounds like BS. He needs to win at a high level. No drop offs. Whether he does it with 5 star or 3 star guys is irrelevant, but he needs to do it.

I think Phil's plan was just to pay him a crap ton of money to ride into the retirement sunset. They are good friends. So, no. No need for Rick to win. Certain about it.

Reactions: Lurker and butchna
Exactly, by any means necessary, just win, baby and all that. Even without Williams and Bone, I expect UT to be a NCAA Tourney lock, next year and will be very disappointed if the Vols are not.

Reactions: allvol123
This kid seems to be the perfect clay for Barnes and company to mold into a productive SEC player, maybe even all-conference. Smart, wants to be coached, wants to get stronger, improve his skills and trusts that this program can get him there. I think he will contribute some, next year, but in a couple of years, watch out.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back