'19 MD PF Olivier Robinson-Nkamhoua (Signed 5/8/2019)

I’m all for it, because of the skills we’re bringing in. We’re gonna be a match up nightmare for most teams in 2-3 years, of course, IF everyone pans out. Gaines, DP, and ORN don’t need to play right away imo. So at this point they’re good takes, based on potential and we can afford to give them time to develop. If we’re not consistently recruiting 5/4 stars, I’d rather us recruit projects who have skills that most players don’t.
You're exactly right. They all are very skilled, all good length and athleticism for their size and positions. All of them need some time in the weight room. No big deal. All of then should be able to give us some spot minutes at times this year if necessary as well.

Reactions: sport3500
Tennessee added another talented and versatile prospect to its roster on Tuesday in the form of three-star senior Olivier Robinson-Nkamhoua. A 6-foot-8 forward that burst onto the scenes this winter, Robinson-Nkamhoua is a quality long-term piece that has made great strides in recent months. “I chose Tennessee because I felt a connection with the staff, Josiah (James) and other players that I talked to,” he said. “I feel like I have a chance to grow and earn my minutes their right way through practice and with the team, I feel there is a space for me and a chance to make an immediate impact.”
A 6-foot-8 power forward that was hurt the majority of his junior high school season, the Finnish born prospect entered his senior year with a very limited recruitment. It took until the turn of the calendar year for high-majors to jump into the picture which he then received over a dozen high-major scholarship offers. Selecting the Volunteers over Illinois and Pitt, Robinson-Nkamhoua visited each of the programs within the past six weeks, his last trip being taken to Knoxville this past weekend.
A quality long-term prospect forward that can defend different positions, versatility is the name of the game with the Bishop Walsh product. He can score facing the basket and out to 20-feet, in the low-post thanks to his quality footwork, and is a more than a solid athlete that competes on each possession. Slotted within the Rivals150, Robinson-Nkamhoua is now the second ranked member of the 2019 class that will be a freshman at Tennessee next season. He joins five-star wing James, along with Davonte Gaines and Drew Pember, in creating a well-rounded and solid four-man recruiting class that should help the program remain one of the best in the SEC for the next few years.
-Corey Evans (Rivals)

I think ORN has good long term potential but once again, another project that probably won’t play a lot in year one.

Not a huge fan that 3/4 frosh are guys that are most likely gonna need a year in the system.
Think we’re looking at a down year regardless.

Would you say this kid is ahead of where GW was coming in as a freshman or about the same?
From a post skills perspective, he is behind where GW was as a freshman, and GW was most likely a year younger, as he didn’t turn 18 until November of his FR season. Athletically, ORN is more fluid, but also not as strong. He obviously has a bit more ball-handling skills and a better shot. Right now, I’d put him squarely between a Ron Slay/Tobias Harris and a Derek Reese from a skill set standpoint. Hopefully, he develops along the upper end of that comparison.

Reactions: cwbytruckers
From what I've read seems like a helium guy who is a late bloomer. Top 200 player is a nice pick-up this late and he seems to have some upside.

From a post skills perspective, he is behind where GW was as a freshman, and GW was most likely a year younger, as he didn’t turn 18 until November of his FR season. Athletically, ORN is more fluid, but also not as strong. He obviously has a bit more ball-handling skills and a better shot. Right now, I’d put him squarely between a Ron Slay/Tobias Harris and a Derek Reese from a skill set standpoint. Hopefully, he develops along the upper end of that comparison.

First time watching highlights, his game immediately reminded me of Tobias. I expected to be underwhelmed just based on reading the analysis of a couple posters on here. But I was impressed. Very smooth, high motor, skilled, intelligent basketball player with good size. Good, confident shooter. Good passer with excellent court vision. He is a good athlete who moves well but is not an explosive leaper. I disagree with the posters that are not impressed with his game. I might even slightly disagree with all the talk of "high ceiling but won't contribute for a couple years" crowd. He will be capable of contributing offensively early in his career. Question will be defensively. Not going to be a shot blocker. Could need strength to battle for position defensively.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Well hells bells Chris that really narrows it down.

😎
Yeah, I figured that would draw the ire of some. It wasn’t meant to be a barometer of skill level and overall talent. More in regard to skill sets and comparable abilities and similarities. ORN is more in the mold of a Tobias/Slay/Reese type of PF rather than a GW, CJ Black type of PF.

And again, from a talent and development perspective, let’s hope he scales toward the Slay end instead of the Reese end. Tobias isn’t really a fair comparison given that he is a borderline NBA all-star. Given my stance on ORN, it isn’t fair of me to presume/expect he will ever develop into that kind of talent.

First time watching highlights, his game immediately reminded me of Tobias. I expected to be underwhelmed just based on reading the analysis of a couple posters on here. But I was impressed. Very smooth, high motor, skilled, intelligent basketball player with good size. Good, confident shooter. Good passer with excellent court vision. He is a good athlete who moves well but is not an explosive leaper. I disagree with the posters that are not impressed with his game. I might even slightly disagree with all the talk of "high ceiling but won't contribute for a couple years" crowd. He will be capable of contributing offensively early in his career. Question will be defensively. Not going to be a shot blocker. Could need strength to battle for position defensively.

Full disclosure, I was not overly impressed in my first view of his limited tape. Questionable competition in the film I saw (it appeared to be him punking a bunch of Finnish kids), and a lack of much in terms of post moves. That is the part of his game I most hope he develops. We don’t really need him to be someone who floats around the perimeter, though we’d certainly like him to be a threat. My hope was that he was going to be more developed in the post because of our immediate need there if GW leaves, and I believe that initially clouded my impression of his overall ability as a player. The more I watch and the more I read, the more encouraged I get. I usually don’t pay much mind to recruiting rankings, but the fact he jumped almost 200 spots grabbed my attention, as well. I am hoping for the best, and he may be pushed into minutes this year out of necessity at times.

Seems like CRB is looking for bigs with an outside touch to pull opposing bigs out if the lane to allow for slashers to the rim. Having a 4 and a 5 that can shoot the 3 is a huge plus on Offense. A liability on Defense if they cant bang and block out. But man if you can hit 3 for 2 over the other bigs that has to be a plus. Hopefully with the team assembled CRB can find 35 to 40 rebounds a game in the somewhere. I love defense and rebounding. Both take effort and heart. Not size. I'm liking the team he is building. But praying GW stays one more year.

Boom. Hopefully another diamond in the rough.

Need 4 and 5 star players to be worth 5 mil.

Reactions: vols 30
Yeah, I figured that would draw the ire of some. It wasn’t meant to be a barometer of skill level and overall talent. More in regard to skill sets and comparable abilities and similarities. ORN is more in the mold of a Tobias/Slay/Reese type of PF rather than a GW, CJ Black type of PF.

And again, from a talent and development perspective, let’s hope he scales toward the Slay end instead of the Reese end. Tobias isn’t really a fair comparison given that he is a borderline NBA all-star. Given my stance on ORN, it isn’t fair of me to presume/expect he will ever develop into that kind of talent.
Tobias was a 5* playing in the U. S. and plenty of exposure to the rating services. I think ORN has very good skills and, with the history of our coaching staff's ability to develop players, he should do very well. I also expect Burns to do well this year. We could have enough depth to have a 20-25 wins this year, especially if Williams returns.

VN Store

Back