My predictions for 2019

If we go 5-7, it will be a result of O Line not making any progress from year-to-year.
If we go 5-7, I don’t want to hear about NC teams that all of these coaches have apparently been on. It won’t mean s..t. And I’ll be pissed. Saturday evenings and Sunday mornings have taken a toll on my health.

Last year was the big red flag.

Imagine: Win 3 point loss game to USC. Go to bowl game. More exposure. More bowl practices
Possible win & 7 -6 record. Then build on that in 2019
Yeah last play of that game our QB ate the ball and didn't even give the WRs chance to catch it.

This team will look a lot better once the QB change is made.

With the 2019 schedule, it is easy to see the Vols 10-3 after a bowl game.

I don't think they will be any worse than 8-5 after bowl game.

Most of the starters we replace will be guys getting recruited over. We lost our DL, Abernathy, Sapp and a few guys to medical conditions that wouldn't have started this year and Richmond/Osborne. Vandy, uscE, KY, MissSt all have heavy losses to graduation and NFL.

Defense should improve by at least 4 points per game. Offense should improve by at least 5 points per game....and part of that is schedule. BYU won't be putting up WV numbers, Mizzou game will be much closer and Vandy will finally get curb stomped like they deserve!

2 of the 3 games we are supposed to lose are away games.

Last edited:
With the 2019 schedule, it is easy to see the Vols 10-3 after a bowl game.

I don't think they will be any worse than 8-5 after bowl game.

Most of the starters we replace will be guys getting recruited over. We lost our DL, Abernathy, Sapp and a few guys to medical conditions that wouldn't have started this year and Richmond/Osborne. Vandy, uscE, KY, MissSt all have heavy losses to graduation and NFL.

Defense should improve by at least 4 points per game. Offense should improve by at least 5 points per game....and part of that is schedule. BYU won't be putting up WV numbers, Mizzou game will be much closer and Vandy will finally get curb stomped like they deserve!

2 of the 3 games we are supposed to lose are away games.

Even if you are correct in your prediction of a performance increase, a 9-point swing per game over the 2018 performance would only net us one additional win in 2019.

9-3 is a (crack) pipe dream at the moment.

The last 2 years, I predicted 5-7. This year 6-6. I have no confidence in anything better. Still another season away from 8 wins.

Nationdom and Orange Defense will be along to give us their delusional, no way in hell, predictions.

Reactions: Catbone and Titan05
Even if you are correct in your prediction of a performance increase, a 9-point swing per game over the 2018 performance would only net us one additional win in 2019.

9-3 is a (crack) pipe dream at the moment.

10-3 takes some good play and a little lady luck I admit but certainly doable, especially if the team gains some confidence early on.

I think we win our out of conference games although BYU and UAB won't be easy games.

Vandy, and Kentucky lost a ton of starters (25+ Seniors, Snell, Allen, etc). KY will do a better job of restocking but we win both of those games.

MissSt also lost a ton of players....the real good ones! Another home game I feel like we pull this one off in a close one.

uscE is at home and they lost about 20 players but probably not as many starters. Either we get Bentley and he is losing the team or we get the new promising QB for CJP to play head games with. I'm counting on winning this one as well.

Mizzou lost most of their playmakers except superb TE and gained a good QB. This could be a surprise road win if we continue to make gains as the season progresses. They are on probation with no bowl game so this team could pack it in like towards the end of the season or they could treat it like a bowl game. They haven't been hit with the transfers due to probation yet but I wouldn't be surprised to see a few after finals are in. As of right now this game leans towards Mizzou winning it though.

The other 3 games (Fl, GA, Al) don't look too good. They would be huge upsets, especially GA, AL.

9-3 is the ceiling, 6-6 is the floor. If we go 5-7 there had better be a damn good reason for it.

To me Georgia State, Chattanooga, and UAB are all likely wins.

Alabama and Georgia are likely losses, so is Florida on the road.

THE REST:
Vandy (beat us by 25 last year);
Missouri (beat us by 33 last year); on the road
South Carolina (we have lost 3 in a row to, and have never defeated their head coach in 7 tries)
Miss State (an 8 win team last year)
Kentucky (a 10 win team last year, playing on the road, where we lost last time we played up there)
BYU (7 win bowl team last year, beat two power 5's (Arizona and Wisconsin) on the road last year, winning tradition, most of their starters are 22-25 years old married non-drinkers).

At this point, I'm not prepared to call any of the above "THE REST" games anything other than toss ups. So if your definition of "floor" is "wins half of the toss ups" then yes 6-6 is our floor, however I think the more accurate range is 9-3 is likely our best regular season outcome and 3-9 is likely our worst regular season outcome. We just can't make a lot of assumptions at this point in our program's history.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Just noticed four teams have bye weeks prior to playing us: Georgia (Tenn too), MissSt, UAB and Kentucky. SCAR and Mizzou play Fl & GA prior to TN game.

Florida has three bye weeks but starts the season a week early on 24 Aug in Orlando against Miami.

Reactions: 08Vol
Last year was the big red flag.

Imagine: Win 3 point loss game to USC. Go to bowl game. More exposure. More bowl practices
Possible win & 7 -6 record. Then build on that in 2019

Last year was not a big red flag. That's insane, Pruitt left with a bare cuppoard and beat two ranked teams. Yes they quit the last two games of the season which is still mind boggling but definitely not a big red flag. We go 4-8 this year and that'll be a big red flag

Last year was not a big red flag. That's insane, Pruitt left with a bare cuppoard and beat two ranked teams. Yes they quit the last two games of the season which is still mind boggling but definitely not a big red flag. We go 4-8 this year and that'll be a big red flag
They quit the last two games of the season because Butch loaded this team with guys that don’t want to work hard and don’t mind losing (they’ve grown quite accustomed to it). This team will make steady progress as Butch’s guys leave and are replaced with real SEC-level talent.

If it goes like OP projection and we are 4-7 going into the Vandy game after just having lost to Missouri, with nothing to play for, I don’t see us winning that one either. That would be a real kick in the nuts, going backwards at this stage.

My Predictions are Tennessee will be 9-3 and 5-3 in the SEC finishing 3rd in the SEC East

Georgia State W
BYU W
Chattanooga W
@Florida L
Georgia L
Mississippi State W
@Alabama L
South Carolina W
UAB W
@kentucky W
@Missouri W
Vanderbilt W