Any ideas about who Kellie's final hire might be?

I forget her name, but Geno's associate head coach makes around $300K I believe.

The women's basketball team had a deficit of $3.1 Million last season.

Analysis: Are big-time UConn sports worth the money?

Its going to be fascinating to watch what UConn does institutionally with the new AAC contract they just agreed to with ESPN. The new deal is expected to neuter their existing SNY contract and push all Tier 3 content to the ESPN+ subscription. I look for them to rejoin the Big East

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
The Assistant coaching salaries at Tennessee with Holly were 200k, 190k, and 160k or 550k for all three Assistants. I imagine Phil might bump that up a little maybe 100 grand to 650k. If Jon Harper and Sullivan get 200k each then that would leave 250k for the next hire.

Reactions: sport3500
Its going to be fascinating to watch what UConn does institutionally with the new AAC contract they just agreed to with ESPN. The new deal is expected to neuter their existing SNY contract and push all Tier 3 content to the ESPN+ subscription. I look for them to rejoin the Big East

They can’t. First, the American Conference has what is called a “grant of rights” agreement, meaning that if a current conference member leaves during an existing TV contract, the conference retains that school’s TV and media rights through the end of the contract. So UConn is stuck with the new TV deal.

Second, the new/old Big East does not sponsor FBS football, so UConn’s football team would have to become an independent, and that’s not realistic.

They can’t. First, the American Conference has what is called a “grant of rights” agreement, meaning that if a current conference member leaves during an existing TV contract, the conference retains that school’s TV and media rights through the end of the contract. So UConn is stuck with the new TV deal.

Second, the new/old Big East does not sponsor FBS football, so UConn’s football team would have to become an independent, and that’s not realistic.

Any rumblings on a new staff member or if this is going to be a “splash” hire that people are clamoring for 😂

Nicky was an All-WNBA player either after her first or second year. She was an unorthodox post that could facilitate the offense and defend anywhere from 1-5. She was the Joaquim Noah of the WNBA. I believe injuries did her in. Otherwise, she would have had a long and productive career IMO.

Thanks for schooling me on Nicky’s WNBA career. I admit I didn’t get to see her play very often as a pro, and wrongly assumed — since I never heard anything about her getting injured — that she’d kinda bombed out.

I mostly remember how tough she was at UT on the defensive side, and how often her post movements (and the shot at the end) looked kinda like she was thinking about it way too much, and then sometimes thought herself out of having time to go up for a clean look.

I’m happy to know I was wrong about her WNBA career!

Last edited:
Correct, I think she was an all-star after her first season. She was a second round pick for the Minnesota Lynx but actually ended up starting every game. Candice Wiggins was their first round pick that season. Nicky was actually more of an offensive threat in the WNBA as well. I remember people being shocked, but it was just because she understood her role at UT and Candace was the primary scorer. Once Nicky was on her own she showed some skills nobody knew she had.

Again, thanks to you and Amb for filling me in on Nicky’s WNBA career. I am really sad I never saw her after she reached her full potential. But I’ll never forget her fir her competitiveness at Tennessee, and her ability to demand and get the best out of her teammates. She was fierce.

I don't know if that was intended to be snarky about the GOR comment but I worked at a certain HQ in Indianapolis for 5 years...I know what a "GOR" in the context of college sports is and since you've mentioned it the new proposed AAC ESPN contract doesn't have a GOR.

Second with regards to football they would drop to I-AA. Not likely? I put it at 40%. UConn is trying to figure out their identity. Figuring out football will play the biggest role in that.

Just reported that Sullivan will make 200k and Harper 140k so there could be 300k for an Associate Head Coach which is probably what Simmons would want if she is the top candidate.

Just reported that Sullivan will make 200k and Harper 140k so there could be 300k for an Associate Head Coach which is probably what Simmons would want if she is the top candidate.

Kellie is like honey you will be the lowest paid because momma is brining home the bacon 😂

In all seriousness is 300k for an associate head coach good ?

Do you have a link?

Dean made $206,941
Sharrona made $200,592
Bridgette made $179,375

Caspio ACME

If Kellie has around the same budget it’s around $250k left over for her associate hc. I can’t imagine increasing that by 50k to put it at 300K is that big of deal but could be wrong.

Last edited:
I don't know if that was intended to be snarky about the GOR comment but I worked at a certain HQ in Indianapolis for 5 years...I know what a "GOR" in the context of college sports is and since you've mentioned it the new proposed AAC ESPN contract doesn't have a GOR.

Second with regards to football they would drop to I-AA. Not likely? I put it at 40%. UConn is trying to figure out their identity. Figuring out football will play the biggest role in that.

It wasn't meant to be snarky, the vast majority of people don't know what it is or means. The TV contract itself may not contain a grant of rights, but the conference charter for the AAC does. It was put in place when the conference was born out of the Big East. I would bet you anything you want to wager that UConn doesn't leave the conference in the next 10 years.

Kellie is like honey you will be the lowest paid because momma is brining home the bacon 😂

Do you have a link?

Dean made $206,941
Sharrona made $200,592
Bridgette made $179,375

Caspio ACME

If Kellie has around the same budget it’s around $250k left over for her associate hc. I can’t imagine increasing that by 50k to put it at 300K is that big of deal but could be wrong.

It's very good.

Link on the new assist salaries: Lady Vols: Kellie Harper's assistants' salaries in line with Holly Warlick's former staff

Reactions: Franklin Pierce

Do you have a link?

Dean made $206,941
Sharrona made $200,592
Bridgette made $179,375

Caspio ACME

250 k would be about what a Head coach at a Mid-Major makes. For women's basketball 250k would be very good and 300k excellent for an Associate Head Coach.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN

Well, one thing we've learned from the men's side is that Kellie won't be dipping into her own pocket to increase the salary.

250 k would be about what a Head coach at a Mid-Major makes. For women's basketball 250k would be very good and 300k excellent for an Associate Head Coach.

Any non-burrito rumblings about prospects being officially considered? Of course, I'm sure a lot of this has to be hush-hush when contacting others for appearance's sake on behalf of both parties.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Well, one thing we've learned from the men's side is that Kellie won't be dipping into her own pocket to increase the salary.

I just read that 👀👀👀 I was like coach Rick Barnes was like screw you I’ll just pay him from my pocket and make it equal 😂😂😂

Although with her nice pay increase she surely could donate 50k and still be pretty well off

She doesn’t have to. Just pay Jon less. Voila! Extra money available and Harper family is just fine.
Always glad to help a friend🧡🍊👍.

It wasn't meant to be snarky, the vast majority of people don't know what it is or means. The TV contract itself may not contain a grant of rights, but the conference charter for the AAC does. It was put in place when the conference was born out of the Big East. I would bet you anything you want to wager that UConn doesn't leave the conference in the next 10 years.

I'm not going to get in a back and forth over this since it really isn't the point of the thread but there was no "new charter" when the American was formed. The American assumed the legal entity and charter of the old Big East conference and released the name, history, and contract to Madison Square Garden to the Catholic schools. The new Big East is the new legal entity with the new charter. The American charter is the one that existed for the Big East in 1979.

Is Niki Anosiki still a graduate assistant? I bet she would be a great post coach, though she is inexperienced.

No offense to Nicky, but I don't really want someone who could barely make a layup coaching our posts. She's tough as nails and I'd take her down a dark alley with me, but I when it comes to fundamentals she shouldn't coaching post players.

No offense to Nicky, but I don't really want someone who could barely make a layup coaching our posts. She's tough as nails and I'd take her down a dark alley with me, but I when it comes to fundamentals she shouldn't coaching post players.

Eh I wouldn't get too caught up in what kind of a player someone was. Many of the very best coaches in college basketball were average or below average players at best. I can't speak to her coaching ability, but how you were as a player has little bearing on your effectiveness as a coach. I'm certain she knows what they should be doing and how they should do it, even if she was not particularly effective at doing it herself. Doesn't mean she can't motivate and teach someone else.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back