Any ideas about who Kellie's final hire might be?

I think it was her beating 3 top 25 teams in a row that made people turn heads. Not saying she is the next big thing but her team played well at the right time and her OCC schedule was challenging for her young team while ours ended up not working in our favor.

Ok if they played UConn what would have been the outcome of the game ? fair question

Ok if they played UConn what would have been the outcome of the game ? fair question

What does UConn have to do with her team beating 3 ranked teams. All I can say is they would have a 50/50 chance. I am not a psychic I can say UConn would win because they have a bunch of all Americans but shoot we saw how that worked out for us 😂

Now THAT's an intriguing thought. Mining the WNBA for candidates, I mean.

I think that NBA assistant Becky Hammon only earns around $250,000 as an assistant, so I wouldn't think that a WNBA assistant would earn even nearly that much. But I really don't know for sure.

I'm pretty sure that WNBA coaches get paid much less than the top NCAAW coaches. Not much money to be found in the WNBA at all.

I'm pretty sure that WNBA coaches get paid much less than the top NCAAW coaches. Not much money to be found in the WNBA at all.

That’s why someone like Eric Thibault would be a good pick up offensive scheme wise because he was successful in both CT and Washington

Probably the same as the outcome when Walz's team played them in the tournament.

Considering that UCONN has only lost 17 games over the past eleven seasons, not sure they are the yardstick you want to use...unless you're willing to eliminate 98% of current coaches as valid candidates for the job.

Here's another fair question. How many of the golden boys and girls preferred by many here (regardless of availability) could haven taken Kellie's team as far as she did in tbe tournament. Let's compare apples to apples.

Only sixteen teams got as far as Mo State did this year, including many of those with 4- and 5-star players.

Last edited:
VanDerveer has been to the Final Four 12 times. Harper has 2 career wins in the NCAA tournament. Otherwise, I'd say they're pretty equal...

Hahaha 🙄 I know I’m probably on your blocked list but I don’t care. You twist people’s words around from Kellie had a good run to everybody thinks Kellie is a better coach than Tara...

If anyone says Kellie is more proven than Tara I would agree with your sarcasm but I have yet to hear anyone say that. People have said they gave Stanford a game with a lot less “talent” and being young. Whether Stanford played crappy or not it doesn’t make the statement any less true😂

Anyone hearing any rumblings? Also, what about a graduate assistant?

I'm on pins and needles waiting for the news. I'm HOPING that this one is taking a bit longer only because her target candidate(s) is SO darn successful where she/he is now that it's taking extra time to think about it before she/he ultimately teams up with Kellie at Tennessee. :p

Kara Lawson!

I doubt she has the money to hire someone that would probably want close to what she is making. Fulmer budgets everything and he extended it on men's basketball dramatically I doubt he is gonna give her anymore than she already has. I suspect her Assistant Coach budget is below the men's which is 975000. I figure hers will be lucky to be 700000. Probably 175000 to the Assistants leaving about 3500000 for an Associate Head Coach. That would be someone who was a Mid-Major coach like Simmons. I agree we probably could find somebody with a better resume than her, but I have already determined that Kellie likes comfort in her hires. She is not gonna go with anybody she has not been associated with before. If that eventually leads to her downfall here yet to be determined.

I'm not sure you have a good grasp on women's basketball assistant coach salaries if you think that's low for a staff. It's high. Real high. Low compared to mens? Sure. Low compared to other top programs? Not at all.

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
:eek:
Pretty sure you were joking, but I’d be wondering if I’d died and gone to heaven if that were to happen. Unfortunately, I don’t see that as being even remotely possible. Gawd she’d be great though, wouldn’t she?!

Well if she ever wanted to get into coaching, that would be the best route to go. But it would probably mean a short-term pay cut.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
I doubt she has the money to hire someone that would probably want close to what she is making. Fulmer budgets everything and he extended it on men's basketball dramatically I doubt he is gonna give her anymore than she already has. I suspect her Assistant Coach budget is below the men's which is 975000. I figure hers will be lucky to be 700000. Probably 175000 to the Assistants leaving about 3500000 for an Associate Head Coach. That would be someone who was a Mid-Major coach like Simmons. I agree we probably could find somebody with a better resume than her, but I have already determined that Kellie likes comfort in her hires. She is not gonna go with anybody she has not been associated with before. If that eventually leads to her downfall here yet to be determined.

I would be Shocked if the Lady Vols associate head coach will be paid anywhere close to $350K per year.

I would be Shocked if the Lady Vols associate head coach will be paid anywhere close to $350K per year.
Probably right and that is why people saying must be an elite hire will not get their wish. Elite hires demand money and even Simmons would need around 300k because her head coaching job pays 250k

Is Niki Anosiki still a graduate assistant? I bet she would be a great post coach, though she is inexperienced.

Reactions: Volle
Is Niki Anosiki still a graduate assistant? I bet she would be a great post coach, though she is inexperienced.

In my opinion, it was Anosike’s mental toughness and dogged determination that got her as far in her career as she went, not because she was a stellar post player.

If you’ll remember, Anosike was never quite able to shake the awkward,semi-robotic moves nor the bad habit of bringing the ball down to her mid-section before going back up for the shot. Doing that, instead of keeping the ball high for the put-back, resulted in lots of tie-ups and blocked shots.

I’m guessing that these problems with her game are partly the reason her WNBA career was relatively brief.

Nicky will always be one of my favorite Lady Vols, but I honestly don’t think she’d be the best choice to teach post players how to play with confident, fluid moves.

Probably right and that is why people saying must be an elite hire will not get their wish. Elite hires demand money and even Simmons would need around 300k because her head coaching job pays 250k

I forget her name, but Geno's associate head coach makes around $300K I believe.

The UCONN women's basketball team had a deficit of $3.1 Million last season.

Analysis: Are big-time UConn sports worth the money?

Last edited:
In my opinion, it was Anosike’s mental toughness and dogged determination that got her as far in her career as she went, not because she was a stellar post player.

If you’ll remember, Anosike was never quite able to shake the awkward,semi-robotic moves nor the bad habit of bringing the ball down to her mid-section before going back up for the shot. Doing that, instead of keeping the ball high for the put-back, resulted in lots of tie-ups and blocked shots.

I’m guessing that these problems with her game are partly the reason her WNBA career was relatively brief.

Nicky will always be one of my favorite Lady Vols, but I honestly don’t think she’d be the best choice to teach post players how to play with confident, fluid moves.

Nicky was an All-WNBA player either after her first or second year. She was an unorthodox post that could facilitate the offense and defend anywhere from 1-5. She was the Joaquim Noah of the WNBA. I believe injuries did her in. Otherwise, she would have had a long and productive career IMO.

Nicky was an All-WNBA player either after her first or second year. She was an unorthodox post that could facilitate the offense and defend anywhere from 1-5. She was the Joaquim Noah of the WNBA. I believe injuries did her in. Otherwise, she would have had a long and productive career IMO.

Correct, I think she was an all-star after her first season. She was a second round pick for the Minnesota Lynx but actually ended up starting every game. Candice Wiggins was their first round pick that season. Nicky was actually more of an offensive threat in the WNBA as well. I remember people being shocked, but it was just because she understood her role at UT and Candace was the primary scorer. Once Nicky was on her own she showed some skills nobody knew she had.

Reactions: Only1COJ and lvocd

VN Store

Back