'19 FL QB Brian Maurer (Tennessee signee)

OLB19_76 is a family member of Bailey I believe.
Firstly, I'm very excited about Harrison Bailey. The kid is peer recruiting like crazy. Not to mention he is a very fine prospect in his own right!
I want to be clear about my thoughts on Maurer. Brian Maurer shouldn't have to play this year.
He should be able to hit the weight room and get bigger, learn the offense in his own time with no pressure.
Unfortunately, we don't have a veteran QB that can put the team on his back. We don't even have a game manager.
So Maurer will have to play because our offense will die mid-season if not.

Why will Maurer have success? Because he is surrounded by veteran skill players that have been itching for a chance to showcase their ability.
Veteran guys who are trying to have success and perhaps move on to the next level.

I believe Brain Maurer will have such a great year, that Harrison Bailey won't end up as a Vol. I remember the work Chaney did with Tyler Bray as a true freshman. Maurer has the same type of arm strength, but can also run. I also think he is just a great person. He beats Bray in every category.

SEC Freshman Offensive Player of the Year in 2019 will be Brian Maurer.

Firstly, I'm very excited about Harrison Bailey. The kid is peer recruiting like crazy. Not to mention he is a very fine prospect in his own right!
I want to be clear about my thoughts on Maurer. Brian Maurer shouldn't have to play this year.
He should be able to hit the weight room and get bigger, learn the offense in his own time with no pressure.
Unfortunately, we don't have a veteran QB that can put the team on his back. We don't even have a game manager.

Why will Maurer have success? Because he is surrounded by veteran skill players that have been itching for a chance to showcase their ability.
Veteran guys who are trying to have success and perhaps move on to the next level.

I believe Brain Maurer will have such a great year, that Harrison Bailey won't end up as a Vol. I remember the work Chaney did with Tyler Bray as a true freshman. Maurer has the same type of arm strength, but can also run. I also think he is just a great person. He beats Bray in every category.

Im sorry but this is an incredible stretch & frankly laughable. Theres 0% chance Maurer is 2019's Freshman OPOY and the idea that Bailey tucking his tail between his legs & bailing on UT because Maurer is the prodigal return of Manning is not going to happen. Bailey has spent every minute since November to peer recruit for us & he is going to come in next year, take the starting job easy and itll be a fight for 2nd.

And your a coach at UT?

Harrison Bailey vs Brian Maurer in 2020 and 2021 could be very interesting. Personally, I think both QBs are / were underrated by the recruiting services. I'm quite happy to have both, though, might be tough to hang onto to both for the long-run.

Maurer needs a year of development, but he could probably be a 4-year starter at a C-USA or Sunbelt school. The SEC is a different animal, though. He needs a year to get used to SEC power and speed and our offense IMO.

Bailey by some accounts could walk in and potentially start on Day 1.

Might be our first great QB competition since Ainge / Schaeffer. Or if we're really lucky Manning / Stewart; people forget how good Branndon Stewart was; just had the misfortune of having to compete against the GOAT for the starting job at UT!

Maurer is not even close to taking the job from JG or Shrout. He has a lot to learn still. Once Bailey gets in it all might be a wash for the QBs anyways. That kid is the real deal.
Sure he has a lot to learn. But I saw a QB that has a real feel for the game. JG has a lot of talent but his field present just don't seem to be there. Believe JG can hang on if he will learn how to scramble. If Maurer gets some reps in the first 2 give me games it would surely give us more to look at.

Maurer looked really solid. Needs to get used to the speed of the game. No telling how good Bailey will be right now, but the QB room is going to have some serious competition next spring and whoever emerges as starter will be a good one. Not counting out Shrout.

If Pruitt doesn’t put Brian in some of these “Cupcake” games on the schedule to display what he has as the the #2 guy,I’ll be upset.As the year progresses I think we will be very frustrated with JG making “zero” major improvements on his game.JG has made some changes but not enough to win big rival games.Brian seems to be more comfortable behind the line,even with it being as bad as it has been for a long time.He feels the pressure to get out of the pocket much better and making positive yardage on those very same plays.It has taken JG 2 to 3 years to feel that same kind pressure (etc. mental clock) and get rid of the ball or just tuck and run.i think a lot of us are “sleeping “ on Brian’s ability just because he’s a “freshman”.he looked very solid and I love his “win it all” mentality.

step away from the liquor. He ain't Dobbs.

Reactions: #Vol4Life1991
If Pruitt doesn’t put Brian in some of these “Cupcake” games on the schedule to display what he has as the the #2 guy,I’ll be upset.As the year progresses I think we will be very frustrated with JG making “zero” major improvements on his game.JG has made some changes but not enough to win big rival games.Brian seems to be more comfortable behind the line,even with it being as bad as it has been for a long time.He feels the pressure to get out of the pocket much better and making positive yardage on those very same plays.It has taken JG 2 to 3 years to feel that same kind pressure (etc. mental clock) and get rid of the ball or just tuck and run.i think a lot of us are “sleeping “ on Brian’s ability just because he’s a “freshman”.he looked very solid and I love his “win it all” mentality.
JG threw 4 tds and 0 ints against the #1 defense. A defense which many think will have one of the best secondaries in cfb, along with 2 of the top young CBs in the game. Maurer threw 2 picks against Saturday. I like Maurer, but I still think JG gives this team the best chance to win if he continues to take care of the football like he did last year. I also think Shrout is the number 2 QB in the eyes of the coaches right now.

JG threw 4 tds and 0 ints against the #1 defense. A defense which many think will have one of the best secondaries in cfb, along with 2 of the top young CBs in the game. Maurer threw 2 picks against Saturday. I like Maurer, but I still think JG gives this team the best chance to win if he continues to take care of the football like he did last year. I also think Shrout is the number 2 QB in the eyes of the coaches right now.
Yeah, I think JG will start because the coaches think he gives them them the best chance to win with fewer mistakes. That may change as the season goes along. I also expect a lot of whining because he just doesn't look like a good QB. I was shocked when I saw his numbers from Saturday.

Reactions: Smokeytom

Right! You also forget they had Brian in shotgun 3 straight plays inside the 15 yard line,lets not act like we was watching Nathan peterman our there.Lol you’ll see..JG is different when the lights come on.Some people have it and some don’t.ive never once said he couldn’t perform decent in a Orange and White game,But he has definitely cost us some close games.im tired of seeing the same movie 3 years in a row with “little” to no improvement.Brian brings a different energy/grit and seems to have that mental clock that JG hasn't had for 3 years that’s all I’m sayin.youll never know who has it and who doesn’t if you do not give them the opportunity.brian has the arm strength,speed and mechanics to do well maybe even better than JG.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think JG will start because the coaches think he gives them them the best chance to win with fewer mistakes. That may change as the season goes along. I also expect a lot of whining because he just doesn't look like a good QB. I was shocked when I saw his numbers from Saturday.
Tyler Bray laid an all-time stinker in his last O&W Game. Pretty decent season stats wise if you’re easily impressed by passing yardage and touchdowns.

Reactions: ChismsHeadband
Right! You also forget they had Brian in shotgun 3 straight plays inside the 15 yard line,lets not act like we was watching Nathan peterman our there.Lol you’ll see..JG is different when the lights come on.Some people have it and some don’t.ive never once said he couldn’t perform decent in a Orange and White game,But he has definitely cost us some close games.im tired of seeing the same movie 3 years in a row with “little” to no improvement.Brian brings a different energy/grit and seems to have that mental clock that JG hasn't had for 3 years that’s all I’m sayin.youll never know who has it and who doesn’t if you do not give them the opportunity.brian has the arm strength,speed and mechanics to do well maybe even better than JG.
Maurer showed some nice potential, but dude has a long way to go. 20% of his passes were INTs and they were really ugly. And that was against a team of backups.

It wouldn’t be the offseason without you making crazy predictions like this.

JG has shown enough upside to be a solid game manager, if given help by the OL. Even when the OL is getting him killed he doesn’t turn the ball over often. That’s job #1 for a game manager and Maurer hasn’t shown he can do that. Right now Shrout is a much bigger threat to JG than Maurer.

i'm just going to predict right now that Shrout gets a shot before Maurer. Even though I agree with you about Maurer - coaches won't put him in if they don't think he can protect the football. But count me as one of the people who don't think Bailey is just going to step on campus and take the job from JG/Shrout/Maurer.

If you go back far enough in this thread though I said that I think Maurer could possibly win the QB job this year. However, from the reports we've heard he is clearly 3rd string as of right now.

Harrison Bailey vs Brian Maurer in 2020 and 2021 could be very interesting. Personally, I think both QBs are / were underrated by the recruiting services. I'm quite happy to have both, though, might be tough to hang onto to both for the long-run.

Maurer needs a year of development, but he could probably be a 4-year starter at a C-USA or Sunbelt school. The SEC is a different animal, though. He needs a year to get used to SEC power and speed and our offense IMO.

Bailey by some accounts could walk in and potentially start on Day 1.

Might be our first great QB competition since Ainge / Schaeffer. Or if we're really lucky Manning / Stewart; people forget how good Branndon Stewart was; just had the misfortune of having to compete against the GOAT for the starting job at UT!

Maurer can run. Many on here aren't giving that enough consideration. We need a QB who can run as well as throw. That's not Shrout, Guarantano, or Bailey...

If Bailey does end up coming, He'll get to Red-shirt even though he would be the 2nd best QB on the roster in 2020.

Maurer can run. Many on here aren't giving that enough consideration. We need a QB who can run as well as throw. That's not Shrout, Guarantano, or Bailey...

If Bailey does end up coming, He'll get to Red-shirt even though he would be the 2nd best QB on the roster in 2020.
well hopefully by the time Bailey gets here we don't need a Qb that can run. I don't expect a huge jump in OL play this year, but next year I think they should improve drastically.

Maurer showed some nice potential, but dude has a long way to go. 20% of his passes were INTs and they were really ugly. And that was against a team of backups.

One wasn’t even his fault though.the other was across his body,the same mistake JG has made over and over Forcing it himself.

i'm just going to predict right now that Shrout gets a shot before Maurer. Even though I agree with you about Maurer - coaches won't put him in if they don't think he can protect the football. But count me as one of the people who don't think Bailey is just going to step on campus and take the job from JG/Shrout/Maurer.

If you go back far enough in this thread though I said that I think Maurer could possibly win the QB job this year. However, from the reports we've heard he is clearly 3rd string as of right now.

Fair enough.🤷🏽‍♂️ I’m just saying a lot of people in here blame the OLine for our QB problems.Volnation forgets that our OLine was just as bad if not worse when Dobbs was here.the difference was he was mobile and didn’t mind to run when he had to.

Dobbs extend plays for positive yardage ,something JG hates doing and in my personal opinion “isn’t as fast as advertised some claimed him to be coming out of high school along with not having the “the mental clock” to keep him from making negative plays and loss of yards on sacks.Tennessees success will come from a mobile QB like Brian that’s fast enough to extend the pays further until our pass protection gets better from shotgun,as of now we only have a decent run game which makes us one dimensional.

One wasn’t even his fault though.the other was across his body,the same mistake JG has made over and over Forcing it himself.
Both were scary bad throws and decisions. To backups no less. Barring injuries, he’s not coming close to any PT unless he cuts those out drastically.

Fair enough.🤷🏽‍♂️ I’m just saying a lot of people in here blame the OLine for our QB problems.Volnation forgets that our OLine was just as bad if not worse when Dobbs was here.the difference was he was mobile and didn’t mind to run when he had to.

Dobbs extend plays for positive yardage ,something JG hates doing and in my personal opinion “isn’t as fast as advertised some claimed him to be coming out of high school along with not having the “the mental clock” to keep him from making negative plays and loss of yards on sacks.Tennessees success will come from a mobile QB like Brian that’s fast enough to extend the pays further until our pass protection gets better from shotgun,as of now we only have a decent run game which makes us one dimensional.
Dobbs never had an OL this bad. His mobility hid some poor play, sure, but our OL last year was atrocious. Arguably the worst in CFB the last 2 years. I think if any analysis of our team last year was correct it was how bad our OL was. Everything points to it being true. Recruiting shows OL is a problem. Pruitt talked about needing better players all last year. Fulmer reiterated that fact during the Spring game interview. Our OL sucks. A mobile QB would help ease the transition process, but that’s it. JG showed better wheels in the spring game. Maybe the injury rumors were true and really hindered his mobility last year.

Dobbs never had an OL this bad. His mobility hid some poor play, sure, but our OL last year was atrocious. Arguably the worst in CFB the last 2 years. I think if any analysis of our team last year was correct it was how bad our OL was. Everything points to it being true. Recruiting shows OL is a problem. Pruitt talked about needing better players all last year. Fulmer reiterated that fact during the Spring game interview. Our OL sucks. A mobile QB would help ease the transition process, but that’s it. JG showed better wheels in the spring game. Maybe the injury rumors were true and really hindered his mobility last year.

We will never know just how bad Dobbs OLine was but until he was given the full green light to run when he needed to Dobbs was getting sacked a lot it was still very much as bad.a good running QB helps a horrible Oline and opens up the passing game we’ve been one dimensional for a long time.

We will never know just how bad Dobbs OLine was but until he was given the full green light to run when he needed to Dobbs was getting sacked a lot it was still very much as bad.a good running QB helps a horrible Oline and opens up the passing game we’ve been one dimensional for a long time.
We’ve sucked for a long time. Good coaching and better recruiting will fix that. Not a band-aid mobile QB.

Went to that Oklahoma game in Norman. There’s never been a WORSE OL in Vols history.

VN Store

Back