Barnes said he would be at UCLA if buyout was paid

1991 UNLV, 1983 Huston....Phi Slama Jama, 1984 UNC.....with Michael Jordan & Sam Perkins, 1993 Michigan......with the fab 5, Charles Barkley, Reggie Miller..........and many more

They say Hi
You’re naming individuals and not many programs. I’m specifically speaking toward program achievements. I also said meeting expectations. The expectations for every program are different in different years. Last year Tennessee overachieved. This year was indeed a good year but they did not accomplish their goals. Spin it how you want but those are facts.

You’re naming individuals and not many programs. I’m specifically speaking toward program achievements. I also said meeting expectations. The expectations for every program are different in different years. Last year Tennessee overachieved. This year was indeed a good year but they did not accomplish their goals. Spin it how you want but those are facts.

Wait, I mentioned 4 programs.........4 historic seasons from those programs, and each of those seasons are remembered by tons of fans and the sports media. Those programs didn’t win the championship, although they had future hall of famers on their teams, and one had multiple.

Those teams and seasons are greatly remembered by many........yet they don’t have the banner.............. how is this possible, when you said history doesn’t remember.

Just a good reminder that this is a business. All the rah-rah and pomp and salesmanship aside, it's just a business. The color shirt they wear, the team they represent, it's only a job. Yes they can say they love a town, and they can say they love a community, but at the end of the day, they love dollars. The truth is that most of us love dollars. Get mad at it, be okay with it, doesn't matter -- as long as you pay them.

Last edited:
And then have to explain why he’s still there...since he had options. 🤔
Yeah, he's still there because of money, meaning if more money comes along at some future date, he could bolt.

Of course, that's something that everybody knows anyway. Just about any coach at any school is a flight risk. It was just dumb for him to have actually openly said it.

Reactions: Big time vol
Yeah, he's still there because of money, meaning if more money comes along at some future date, he could bolt.

Of course, that's something that everybody knows anyway. Just about any coach at any school is a flight risk. It was just dumb for him to have actually openly said it.
No it wasn’t. No effect on anything real. Just message board fodder.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Coaches will tell recruits he doesn't truly want to be there.
....and that is wrong. Anyone who makes this kind of money has options. Barnes isn't tied down to Tennessee. He does want to be in Tennessee; it just takes $4.75 million to make it as attractive as other places might be. If he didn't want to be in Tennessee... he would have left.

Reactions: cncchris33

Yeah I mean the best players are flight risks. Is Barnes selling Williams and Bone leaving early to go get paid if that happens? Are coaches telling recruits, "look at UT, their players are leaving early because they dont like Barnes".

While that's not entirely the same, these kids are not stupid when it come to opportunities and $.

imagine your wife saying at the altar, “I wouldn’t be here if Billy Joe Davis had proposed.” Kinda the same thing.

Then remember that she's smoking hot compared to the last one you divorced who cheated. And she's still going home with you.

Good thing Barnes isn’t our wife then. I guess it’s a good thing he has a job as the coach of the school we like or our alma mater.
From the tone of the ESPN and CBS Sports articles on this it sounds like the sports media got really pissed off that Coach Barnes turned down UCLA:rolleyes:

Reactions: OrangenSC

VN Store

Back