'19 FL QB Brian Maurer (Tennessee signee)

If Maurer ends up winning the backup job, you gotta think there's a pretty good chance he burns his redshirt. I'm not really sure I see our OL keeping the starter healthy all season.
he can still get 4 games in. might be the way to do it. have him as the first off the bench as needed

he can still get 4 games in. might be the way to do it. have him as the first off the bench as needed
Good point. I agree that the coaches would, ideally, do all they can to preserve Maurer's RS.

However, if Maurer wins the backup spot outright and is that much better than Shrout, I think the coaches will probably want to get him as much experience as possible. Say they make sure to get him snaps in 3/4 of our OOC games and then JG gets banged up the last 2-3 weeks of the season again, then we wouldn't be in a position to burn his RS. This is all very hypothetical, of course.

He was just back out there and had a great ball to Lowe.
That ball was sweet. I get really frustrated when JG doesn't step up in the pocket. More than several sacks could have been avoided last year if he would have just stepped forward. Maurer already showing signs of true drop back passer. He a freshman. Mistakes will be made. Learn from and move on. This guy gonna do something. Go Vols! #GBO

Mauer has moxie. I give him that.

No real opinion on Shrout.

JG is the man the next year and maybe two. But after that it’s going to be a fight. Bailey isn’t just going to walk in and be a day one starter. I think Mauer gives him one hell of a fight.

Mauer has moxie. I give him that.

No real opinion on Shrout.

JG is the man the next year and maybe two. But after that it’s going to be a fight. Bailey isn’t just going to walk in and be a day one starter. I think Mauer gives him one hell of a fight.

Promise they aren’t even on the same level! You guys don’t realize what you have committed!!

Promise they aren’t even on the same level! You guys don’t realize what you have committed!!

I said what I said as no disrespect to HB. I know he’s damned good. Probably the next “great” Vol QB.

All I meant was BM has some moxie, and he’ll be in his second year when HB shows up - so I don’t think HB walks in as a freshman starter like I originally thought he would. There will be a fight.

Perhaps,

But tell me this. Had Jake Fromm and Justin Fields came in the same year, would Fromm have been the 2nd string behind Eason in 2017?

Brian Maurer will have a whole season to make an impression. And as I said- as evidence by today- the QB job is wide open this year. My money is on Maurer this year to win it by 3rd game?

Reactions: BucksnortVol
Perhaps,

But tell me this. Had Jake Fromm and Justin Fields came in the same year, would Fromm have been the 2nd string behind Eason in 2017?

Brian Maurer will have a whole season to make an impression. And as I said- as evidence by today- the QB job is wide open this year. My money is on Maurer this year to win it by 3rd game?
Maurer looks like he will be a starter at some point. JG gets banged up , he may take over and never look back. Believe the kid may have the it factor. We need to remember he had one big head scratcher interception. And you can tell he's not going to give up .

I think most of us have great expectations of Harrison. He's the qb I hoped for in this class and I believe most of us are over the moon with him. Volnation is just observing what talent we can see on the field at the present. Make no mistake, most of us know HB is out future at qb.

Maurer looks like he will be a starter at some point. JG gets banged up , he may take over and never look back. Believe the kid may have the it factor. We need to remember he had one big head scratcher interception. And you can tell he's not going to give up .[/QUOlik
sounds like the Brandon stewart treatment. It was before the internet boards but the call in shows all had him being the next great thing. His freshman year he made some athletic plays but put the ball in dangerous places. Over half the folks calling in said the only reason Manning got to play was because Fulmer had promised the family he would give him the job. Matthews kept saying that there was a big difference if you watched practice but folks said Doug was just kissing up to Phil. The coaches who see practice every day still know more than us.

Maurer looks like he will be a starter at some point. JG gets banged up , he may take over and never look back. Believe the kid may have the it factor. We need to remember he had one big head scratcher interception. And you can tell he's not going to give up .

Maurer is not even close to taking the job from JG or Shrout. He has a lot to learn still. Once Bailey gets in it all might be a wash for the QBs anyways. That kid is the real deal.

Reactions: ChismsHeadband
Good point. I agree that the coaches would, ideally, do all they can to preserve Maurer's RS.

However, if Maurer wins the backup spot outright and is that much better than Shrout, I think the coaches will probably want to get him as much experience as possible. Say they make sure to get him snaps in 3/4 of our OOC games and then JG gets banged up the last 2-3 weeks of the season again, then we wouldn't be in a position to burn his RS. This is all very hypothetical, of course.
Keller Chryst only played in 6 games last year and was much more prepared to play than Shrout or Maurer. Barring injury, Maurer doesn't play in more than 4 games.

VN Store

Back