Search For Lady Vols Basketball Coach

If our next coach has experience as a college head coach, I think we could at least get someone whose team finished in the Top 25.

People haven’t talked much about Lisa Bluder, Quentin Hillsman & Doug Bruno. However, I think all 3 are interesting candidates.

I hope several coaches on this list are considered for the job.

1. Kim Mulkey - Baylor
2. Geno - UCONN
3. Muffet - Notre Dame
4. Vic Schaefer - MSST
5. Jeff Walz - Louisville
6. Tara - Stanford
7. Kelly Graves - Oregon
8. Lisa Bluder - Iowa
9. Brenda Frese - MD
10. Wes Moore - NC St
11. Scott Rueck - Oregon St
12. Quentin Hillsman - Syracuse
13. Bill Fennelly - Iowa St
14. Gary Blair - TAMU
15. Dawn Staley - USC
16. Lisa Fortier - Gonzaga
17. Matthew Mitchell - UK
18. Carolyn Kieger - left Marquette for Penn State
19. Katie Meier - Miami
20. Cori Close - UCLA
21. Tina Langley - Rice
22. Charli Turner Thorne - Arizona St
23. Karen Aston - Texas
24. Doug Bruno - DePaul
25. Sue Semrau - Florida St

Hey! Remember when everyone was saying just fire Holly and we would be happy with anyone I mean anyone else! Ah good times!
Heck no I don't remember that was about 3 wks ago, I don't remember this morning!

I do remember some pledging to be happy with a squirrel, a cat, the custodian if Holly would just go. Clearly we didn't mean it.

If our next coach has experience as a college head coach, I think we could at least get someone whose team finished in the Top 25.

People haven’t talked much about Lisa Bluder, Quentin Hillsman & Doug Bruno. However, I think all 3 are interesting candidates.

1. Kim Mulkey - Baylor
2. Geno - UCONN
3. Muffet - Notre Dame
4. Vic Schaefer - MSST
6. Tara - Stanford
7. Kelly Graves - Oregon
8. Lisa Bluder - Iowa
9. Brenda Frese - MD
10. Wes Moore - NC St
14. Gary Blair - TAMU
15. Dawn Staley - USC
19. Katie Meier - Miami
20. Cori Close - UCLA
21. Tina Langley - Rice
23. Karen Aston - Texas
24. Doug Bruno - DePaul

Can you narrow this down to 23 by tomorrow?

Reactions: bullet20
Thank God

Grendel is described as "a creature of darkness, exiled from happiness and accursed of God, the destroyer and devourer of our human kind".
Who Beowulf killed Grendel...
60848e6e3f965f39a4244bb8e8f8972c.jpg

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019

1. Kim Mulkey - Baylor
2. Geno - UCONN
3. Muffet - Notre Dame
4. Vic Schaefer - MSST
6. Tara - Stanford
7. Kelly Graves - Oregon
8. Lisa Bluder - Iowa
9. Brenda Frese - MD
10. Wes Moore - NC St
14. Gary Blair - TAMU
15. Dawn Staley - USC
19. Katie Meier - Miami
20. Cori Close - UCLA
21. Tina Langley - Rice
23. Karen Aston - Texas
24. Doug Bruno - DePaul
No. 20 Cori Close is one of the best candidates for the job. She's tough and knows how to coach WCBB players. Her players both like and respect her. Check her out.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
Cori Close of UCLA is one of the best candidates for the HC job. She's tough and knows how to coach WCBB players. Her players both like and respect her. Check her out. I really wish AD Fulmer would interview her. He would really like her as a HC.

Thank God

Grendel is described as "a creature of darkness, exiled from happiness and accursed of God, the destroyer and devourer of our human kind".

Sounds like the perfect job description for turning the LV program around.

His little brother has been residing up north for a few decades.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Cori Close of UCLA is one of the best candidates for the HC job. She's tough and knows how to coach WCBB players. Her players both like and respect her. Check her out. I really wish AD Fulmer would interview her. He would really like her as a HC.

Plus she would have West Coast recruiting connections.

Honest question - Is one of the important criteria for the new coach the ability to handle players sexual preference and interactions? I have never seen any detail discussion concerning players comments about off court issues and wondered if this was an issue. If this a taboo subject around here just let me know.

1. Kim Mulkey - Baylor
2. Geno - UCONN
3. Muffet - Notre Dame
4. Vic Schaefer - MSST
6. Tara - Stanford

7. Kelly Graves - Oregon
8. Lisa Bluder - Iowa
9. Brenda Frese - MD

10. Wes Moore - NC St
14. Gary Blair - TAMU

15. Dawn Staley - USC

19. Katie Meier - Miami
20. Cori Close - UCLA
21. Tina Langley - Rice
23. Karen Aston - Texas
24. Doug Bruno - DePaul

Top 6 are all in great spots already and making good money, be hard to uproot them. Bold names are on the west coast, not sure if they want to make the move to come to Tennessee. Underlined names have been where they are for a long time, not sure they leave.

So of the remaining names my top 5 are below:
1. Matthew Mitchell
2. Karen Aston
3. Katie Meier
4. Tina Langley
5. Wes Moore

Mitchell has a great winning percentage, and sec experience as well as ties to UT already that's what makes him #1 to me. Wes Moore's biggest knock is the age, not that he can't coach (cause he is a great coach) but how much longer will he do it? He's already 61. I like all 3 ladies, Tina has less HC experience

If he ran it by the players then the other players, their parents, the high school coach & their church members would all know whom Fulmer was considering
What if SAID coach doesn’t want to be out in the open???? Remember Saban to O Bama & Petrine to Arkansas?
What if you thought the hire was good but the girls in team, for some reason did not want a male coach? You as A D hire him & the girls publicly complain that you did not do as they wished
Well rest assured when he talks to a coach or possible replacement. I bet they talk to loved ones or peers about their thoughts. It’s never between just two people.

Top 6 are all in great spots already and making good money, be hard to uproot them. Bold names are on the west coast, not sure if they want to make the move to come to Tennessee. Underlined names have been where they are for a long time, not sure they leave.

So of the remaining names my top 5 are below:
1. Matthew Mitchell
2. Karen Aston
3. Katie Meier
4. Tina Langley
5. Wes Moore

Mitchell has a great winning percentage, and sec experience as well as ties to UT already that's what makes him #1 to me. Wes Moore's biggest knock is the age, not that he can't coach (cause he is a great coach) but how much longer will he do it? He's already 61. I like all 3 ladies, Tina has less HC experience

I would be satisfied with Moore, Mitchell or Langley.

I’m not sold on Aston’s offensive ability & Meier’s teams don’t finish strong. They had the pieces to make a serious Final Four run this year, but lost to Arizona St by 2 on their home floor in the second round.

I would be satisfied with Moore, Mitchell or Langley.

I’m not sold on Aston’s offensive ability & Meier’s teams don’t finish strong. They had the pieces to make a serious Final Four run this year, but lost to Arizona St by 2 on their home floor in the second round.

To be fair I think Meier with Lady Vols facilities/branding/legacy/etc. would be a killer combination. Miami is likely not putting much into the women's program...in 2017 she actually donated 75k herself after getting a contract extension.

According to a 2017 survey these are the highest paid coaches in WBB (of those listed)

1. Kim Mulkey - 1.9
2. Muffet McGraw - 1.4
3. Jeff Walz - 1.3
4. Matthew Mitchell - 1.2
5. Dawn Staley - 1.175

So if we think about the "best bang" for the buck of the top 5 I have listed it's probably. Aston or Langley appears Texas is only paying Aston a little over 500k a year (good bit less than Holly was making) I'm not sure exact numbers on Langley or Meier as both aren't listed, I'll assume Langley is pretty low being it's Rice though.

So new order with money mixed in the new top 5:

1. Langley
2. Moore (makes just over 460k)
3. Aston (less than Holly, but more than Moore & Langley)
4. Meier (not sure how much per year, but just got an extension into 2024)
5. Mitchell (makes the most at 1.2)

Aston is Hollyesque. Head coach at TX since 2012. 82–44 (.651)

First four years, 89-46 (.66), made it to the Elite Eight once.
Last three years she made it to the Sweet Sixteen twice, then exited after the first round this year. She has signed top recruits, and done less with more.

I'd love to know who has contacted PF and asked to be considered. That to me is key.

Aston is Hollyesque. Head coach at TX since 2012. 82–44 (.651)

First four years, 89-46 (.66), made it to the Elite Eight once.
Last three years she made it to the Sweet Sixteen twice, then exited after the first round this year. She has signed top recruits, and done less with more.

First Four years: 77-46 (.626)
12-18
22-12 - NCAA 2nd round
24-11 - Sweet Sixteen
31-5 - Elite Eight

Last Three Years: 76-26 (.745)
25-9 - Sweet Sixteen
28-7 - Sweet Sixteen
23-10 - NCAA 1st round

This year a total of 7 players from the Sweet Sixteen team were no longer on the team. Of those 7 girls that left Brooke McCarthy, Ariel Atkins, Jordan Hosey all saw meaningful minutes. Brooke & Ariel were the starting guards and both averaged north of 13 ppg for the team. I don't think incoming freshman in the Women's game have as much of an impact as in the men's game. So I'm not surprised to see the dip this year considering the amount of production & depth she lost off last year's team.

Lost twice to Baylor, twice to Iowa State, and once to Miss. State, and then once to UT. So really 4 bad losses, I kind of wonder if a change of scenery would revamp her career a bit like it did for Barnes.

Reactions: Nute Gunray
I think we are in general agreement, so please take the arithmetic nitpicking in that spirit.
First Four years: 77-46 (.626)
12-18
22-12 - NCAA 2nd round
24-11 - Sweet Sixteen
31-5 - Elite Eight

12+22+24+31=89 wins
18+12+11+5 =46 losses
89+46= 135 total games
89/135= .659

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
I think we are in general agreement, so please take the arithmetic nitpicking in that spirit.

12+22+24+31=89 wins
18+12+11+5 =46 losses
89+46= 135 total games
89/135= .659

lol somehow left off the 12 wins, but kept the 18 losses...I was not helping her case eh?

Reactions: 1reVOLver
Honest question - Is one of the important criteria for the new coach the ability to handle players sexual preference and interactions? I have never seen any detail discussion concerning players comments about off court issues and wondered if this was an issue. If this a taboo subject around here just let me know.
Very taboo!! Stay away Stay away! But probably got a good point!

VN Store

Back