Wes Moore Twitter Rumor

What if he's told that he can only spend so much on a coach?

The AD is responsible for creating the department's budget and allocating funds for each sport. If Fulmer doesn't want to pay the going rate for an elite level WBB coach (1.5+ million), it's because it wasn't a priority...

The AD is responsible for creating the department's budget and allocating funds for each sport. If Fulmer doesn't want to pay the going rate for an elite level WBB coach (1.5+ million), it's because it wasn't a priority...
He still has to get hires approved.

Coach K is 72
Tom Izzo is 64
Roy William's is 68
Geno Auriemma is 65
Muffet McGraw is 63
Nick Saban is 67

Yeah, who'd take any of those geezers to restore order to a chaotic situation?

Any coach over 60 ought to be out out to pasture. Even if half of them still have teams currently playing in both men's and women's tournaments.

Can anyone discredit or acknowledge this? I don’t know the source, but they have a ton of followers.

I personally think he’s too old, and isn’t the best long term hire. I also don’t know about his recruiting prowess. That’s just me though.

I admit I would not be terribly excited if this was the hire. It would feel "safe" much more than it would feel strong, and even then, I'm not sure how safe a move it would be. I have nothing against Wes Moore but I don't see why that would be Tennessee's choice; it won't energize anything about the program. And the Lady Vols need energy across the board - coaching, team, staff, community. Some swagger if you will.

Zero desire to hire some old dude who doesn’t have a stellar recruiting track record. If you hire him, I’m guessing you’re going to lose recruits & current players. They need a well established, exciting coach or a young hot shot assistant that will excite the team & fan base.

Coach K 33
Izzo 40
Williams 52
Geno 31
Muffet 31
Saban 55

Those are their respective ages at the time they were hired at their current institution.

Wes Moore is 61. He’s going to be able to coach maybe 10 more years at the most, barring any health problems. He doesn’t have a great recruiting track record. Why hire someone who you know CAN NOT possibly be what most would consider a long term coach?

This isn’t like the men’s program, this was the premier program in women’s college basketball. And has potential to be so again. Someone like Moore, who is no doubt a great coach, is not an attractive coach for top young players. They don’t want to play for an old white man who is starting over. Aside from Geno I can’t think of a single white male over 60 who consistently pulls in top recruits. Just doesn’t happen. Even Schafer who has been to back to back final fours isn’t having the easiest time recruiting.

We need someone who can be around for 20-30 years if things go well. That’s how you maintain elite status, not by switching coaches every 5-10 year since.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roni and stlvolsfan
Coach K 33
Izzo 40
Williams 52
Geno 31
Muffet 31
Saban 55

Those are their respective ages at the time they were hired at their current institution.

Wes Moore is 61. He’s going to be able to coach maybe 10 more years at the most, barring any health problems. He doesn’t have a great recruiting track record. Why hire someone who you know CAN NOT possibly be what most would consider a long term coach?

This isn’t like the men’s program, this was the premier program in women’s college basketball. And has potential to be so again. Someone like Moore, who is no doubt a great coach, is not an attractive coach for top young players. They don’t want to play for an old white man who is starting over. Aside from Geno I can’t think of a single white male over 60 who consistently pulls in top recruits. Just doesn’t happen. Even Schafer who has been to back to back final fours isn’t having the easiest time recruiting.

We need someone who can be around for 20-30 years if things go well. That’s how you maintain elite status, not by switching coaches every 5-10 year since.
EXACTLY!!! This is so spot on.

I admit I would not be terribly excited if this was the hire. It would feel "safe" much more than it would feel strong, and even then, I'm not sure how safe a move it would be. I have nothing against Wes Moore but I don't see why that would be Tennessee's choice; it won't energize anything about the program. And the Lady Vols need energy across the board - coaching, team, staff, community. Some swagger if you will.

"Safe" = cheap. Is Moore an upgrade? Probably, but there's a reason you can get him for about the same as what you were paying Holly...

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Wes Moore would have a leg up because it's the Tennessee Lady Vols. That brand practically recruits itself... especially if he can get the team winning again.

Exactly, we might have the dumbest fan base in the country! Wes Moore has won pretty dang good at UTC and now NC State a place Jolly-Harper couldn't make it at and yet Wes Is sitting there still in the tourney even after he lost 3 starters to injury. Not sure how many other coaches have done as well as the "old geezer" has when losing that many starters. He would kick ask at UT in recruiting because it's UT, I mean Holly signed top class what 2-3 times and she sucked at coaching, they came here because of it being the Lady Vols. I would take him for 10 years and I bet UT would be back to the top of the SEC almost every year of those 10 and by that point the team wouldn't be losing over a million a year and it would be setup for the Next coach to take over and Geno and Muffett would be gone and retired also. Excitement comes with winning, I could care less if the hire brings jazz hands with it, if the coach ends up sucking by the end, I want a proven winner and Wes is that at every stop he has been at and spent many a time with Pat also, not only as a grad assistant but talking with her through the years and learning from her.

Whoever the coach is, I would like to see Kara as the assistant.
I just do not believe that Kara would take a pay cut of around $1 million to come to UT to be an assistant coach.Fact is do Not believe she would take the Head coaching job unless the pot was near 1.5 Million.....and even then she may not accept that.She indicated to me last year when I discussed the possibility of her coaching at UT that she was not interested in coaching just yet .That discussion took place at the West Virginia football game in Charlotte so she may have changed her mind since the Head Coaching job is now available so we shall see shortly.

IMO it is absolutely silly to think someone in their early 60s is too old to coach. Interesting that in the age of such (rightful) sensitivity to isms, ageism is perfectly acceptable. No possible reason, outside an underlying medical condition which could happen at any age, that someone in their 60s cannot coach college basketball.

Also silly, IMO, to think of any coaching prospect as one who would stay for 20 years. If that happened, and the coach was still flexible and successful, fine. But its unrealistic to expect that; in fact, in our current situation its obvious that being one place too long actually hurt our coach. Back in the old days, when Pat was creating WCBB as we know it today, it was understandable that a young coach would take a fledgling program, build it, and nurture it the rest of their career. But we are way beyond that point now so if I'd take a 5-8 year person easily. In fact, I'd take a bridge coach right now just to get us out of the ditch. Especially if, as in the case of Rick Barnes and Rob Lanier, the successor was being groomed at the same time.

Wes Moore would be ok with me, certainly not a glam hire, but a solid one if a glam is not available or if we don't want to pay for one. His age should not be a factor. But that bad head rug, that's another story!

Last edited:
I just do not believe that Kara would take a pay cut of around $1 million to come to UT to be an assistant coach.Fact is do Not believe she would take the Head coaching job unless the pot was near 1.5 Million.....and even then she may not accept that.She indicated to me last year when I discussed the possibility of her coaching at UT that she was not interested in coaching just yet .That discussion took place at the West Virginia football game in Charlotte so she may have changed her mind since the Head Coaching job is now available so we shall see shortly.
I had never given much thought to Kara as a coach but if you listen to her during the broadcast, I think she would make a very good coach. I listened to the 2 games yesterday that she was broadcasting specifically to here what she said. I laughed near the end of the first half of the UCLA-UCONN game when she started criticizing UCLA's post and transition defense. The more she talked the more wound up she got. Sounded just like a coach should. I bet Lobo thought dang girl, lighten up, their playing my team. I went back and watched it again at half time. I think she could do it if she wanted to. Al Brown was asked yesterday on the radio if she would be a good coach. He said he wasn't sure if she would want to stop doing what she is doing but if she did decide to coach, she would be a good coach in his opinion. He added a lot of stuff to the discussion and you can tell he is impressed with Kara.

Reactions: bobkitten
I had never given much thought to Kara as a coach but if you listen to her during the broadcast, I think she would make a very good coach. I listened to the 2 games yesterday that she was broadcasting specifically to here what she said. I laughed near the end of the first half of the UCLA-UCONN game when she started criticizing UCLA's post and transition defense. The more she talked the more wound up she got. Sounded just like a coach should. I bet Lobo thought dang girl, lighten up, their playing my team. I went back and watched it again at half time. I think she could do it if she wanted to. Al Brown was asked yesterday on the radio if she would be a good coach. He said he wasn't sure if she would want to stop doing what she is doing but if she did decide to coach, she would be a good coach in his opinion. He added a lot of stuff to the discussion and you can tell he is impressed with Kara.
IMO she would make a great Head Coach....she is bright as all get out ….she knows X;s and O's as well as anyone coaching today ( man or woman )…..she is young and can relate to the modern players today.....she is energetic and can pass some enthusiasm onto to her team....she is a great motivator.....she understands the legacy of Pat Summitt ….she has a great work ethic...I could go on but will stop here.
Her detractors will say that she has not coached and it is too great a risk.....to that I say "HOG WASH ".

May be, but why would she give up her jobs at ESPN, the Washington Wizards and the Board of Trustees?

IMO she would make a great Head Coach....she is bright as all get out ….she knows X;s and O's as well as anyone coaching today ( man or woman )…..she is young and can relate to the modern players today.....she is energetic and can pass some enthusiasm onto to her team....she is a great motivator.....she understands the legacy of Pat Summitt ….she has a great work ethic...I could go on but will stop here.
Her detractors will say that she has not coached and it is too great a risk.....to that I say "HOG WASH ".

Can anyone discredit or acknowledge this? I don’t know the source, but they have a ton of followers.

I personally think he’s too old, and isn’t the best long term hire. I also don’t know about his recruiting prowess. That’s just me though.

Rick Barnes was too old also. Worked in ourfahor though...

Reactions: cutiepie5

VN Store

Back