Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but I think he was eluding to the result not mattering 🤔
I was just having some fun with his statement. He originally said they were unstoppable with Zion. They looked it last night, but they lost to Syracuse with a healthy Zion during the season. Maybe Zion doesn’t care about the regular season and didn’t give his all, but I doubt it. Kid is passionate, no doubt, and ubber-talented. He didn’t appear too happy on the bench watching his team lose games in the regular season. Tells me it matters. Are they unstoppable from here on out? Maybe. But completely unstoppable? That’s been proven false already.

Again, just playing devil’s advocate with Hank. It really doesn’t “matter” all that much in the grand scheme 😁.

Then I pose the question: why play a regular season if it doesn’t matter?
I’m saying you can lose several games in the regular season and it ultimately have no effect on your chances to win a title. So a regular season loss or seven. Really doesn’t matter.

2 losses and 4th in the NET...and Zags, VA, Duke only teams ahead of them in NET. Zags already lost and VA or Duke will lose 1 more (both could still lose).

Honestly could be argued they're more deserving than Gonzaga.

They won’t just use the NET itself. They will use the NET for quadrant wins. Both Gonzaga and Houston have the lowest amount.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
giphy.gif
1, 2, 3, 4, FIF!!

Until our Vol players, individually, decide to return to what made them an elite team there will be major obstacles from within - not from opponents. Nobody cared who got the shots. The key to O creation was Williams and Bone. They were unselfish to a fault and everybody moved in concert. The number one issue is and has been selfishness and Turner has been the chief culprit of late. But others are at fault as well.

It carries over to the D. Help D's need to work in concert. Triple teaming or running off the court on an opponent's 3 point attempt are probably not good options for playing D. Alexander not challenging shots in the lane is probably a bit silly, what other reason should he be in the game?

The sum is greater than the individual parts.

Until our Vol players, individually, decide to return to what made them an elite team there will be major obstacles from within - not from opponents. Nobody cared who got the shots. The key to O creation was Williams and Bone. They were unselfish to a fault and everybody moved in concert. The number one issue is and has been selfishness and Turner has been the chief culprit of late. But others are at fault as well.

It carries over to the D. Help D's need to work in concert. Triple teaming or running off the court on an opponent's 3 point attempt are probably not good options for playing D. Alexander not challenging shots in the lane is probably a bit silly, what other reason should he be in the game?

The sum is greater than the individual parts.
I think Admiral has been a little selfish of late. I think Kyle is so worried about getting called for fouls it's taken a little of his aggressiveness away.

Who all is worried about our matchup tonight? Who thinks the SEC is going to slant the officiating in favor of Mississippi State so that Kentucky’s path to the championship game is easier? For me, I don’t have a good feeling about tonight. Just call me Catbone 2.0.

Who all is worried about our matchup tonight? Who thinks the SEC is going to slant the officiating in favor of Mississippi State so that Kentucky’s path to the championship game is easier? For me, I don’t have a good feeling about tonight. Just call me Catbone 2.0.
I'm worried about tonight's game big time. They'll show up wanting revenge. Their easy win last night may work in our favor. A&M offered little resistance. My gut tells me that the SEC would love to see a Vols and Cats matchup. I'll be interested to see how they call the KY game tonight too.

I'm worried about tonight's game big time. They'll show up wanting revenge. Their easy win last night may work in our favor. A&M offered little resistance. My gut tells me that the SEC would love to see a Vols and Cats matchup. I'll be interested to see how they call the KY game tonight too.
KY will advance no matter what (even if they lose). I do think the SEC wants that rubber match

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Interesting about NET. Ken Pom has them 13th and with a worse SoS than Gonzaga. NET seems to be an outlier on Houston. Lunardi has them a 3.

Yeah to be fair I pulled the SoS & RPI data from CBS....so I really don't know which is correct. Would sure be nice if the NCAA would just track this information so it's not left up to interpretation by various other outlets.

CBS Link: College Basketball Strength of Schedule - 2018-19

It was late last night and I was on my phone, but I think I was looking at just the RPI...who has a table with 3 "RANKS" in it though...so now with fresh eyes it appears that this table has 2 levels of SOS ranking...the far left being the overall (I think?) and the Non-Conference SOS ranking. Gonzaga has 2 losses in their OOC schedule, but it's ranked 45th in SOS compared to Houston's 124th. But then Houston has the stronger RPI.

Again though this is just CBS and their SOS rankings who knows how useful the information is...I'd actually give Houston a higher seed that Gonzaga if it was me. The Zags play in a softer conference and went 1-2 in the 3 major games that are helping them in Non-Conference SOS, a 2 point win over Duke early in the season on a neutral court is giving them far too much of a boost imo.

1552656381391.png

Duke wins the ACC, and then UK or UT wins the SEC this will be the 4 seeds.

Zags, VA, Duke, SEC winner

If someone else wins the SEC and an underdog (FSU) wins the ACC then it's all going to be CRAZY and we'll likely see an undeserving Big 10 team get a 1 seed.

Houston's ceiling is likely a 2 seed and they'll probably have to win the AAC to get that. If it was Cincinnati, Memphis, UConn or maybe even Witchita State at 29-2 they would probably get a 1 seed.

I think us losing to Auburn and having almost a full week off is going to be bad news for Miss State. A&M putting up more of a fight could have helped us some though. But I think our guys don't want to end the SEC season on a loss more than Miss State wants revenge. If no single player shoots more than 6 3PTs then we'll win the game comfortably I think. Admiral, Turner or Bowden go out there and settle on taking 6+ 3s (even if they hit 40%) I don't like our chances, Vols need to be shooting 25+ FTs to win I think.

I think us losing to Auburn and having almost a full week off is going to be bad news for Miss State. A&M putting up more of a fight could have helped us some though. But I think our guys don't want to end the SEC season on a loss more than Miss State wants revenge. If no single player shoots more than 6 3PTs then we'll win the game comfortably I think. Admiral, Turner or Bowden go out there and settle on taking 6+ 3s (even if they hit 40%) I don't like our chances, Vols need to be shooting 25+ FTs to win I think.
I'm almost thinking A&M not putting up resistance could be a factor in our favor. False sense of security type of thing.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
I'm almost thinking A&M not putting up resistance could be a factor in our favor. False sense of security type of thing.

I hope you're right, it being the late game could help us too. A big blowout at 1PM vs 9:30PM can totally change your level of energy to come out the next night at 9:00PM.

If I had it my way today would be upset heavy. Florida over LSU, USC beats Auburn, UT wins, and then Bama drags UK to OT even if they don't win.

Was pulling some numbers from box scores...in our 4 losses the thing that jumped out the most is we shot very poorly from 3 and had a lot TOs.

Averages in the 4 losses: 30.6% from 3, 12.5 Turnovers, and just 13.5 assist. In our 3 biggest wins (Zags, UK, MSU) those same averages were: 34.6%, 9 TOs, 18 APG...and honestly the TOs & 3PT numbers in the wins were hurt because MSU was senior night and the walk-ons went in late and played sloppy.

I hope you're right, it being the late game could help us too. A big blowout at 1PM vs 9:30PM can totally change your level of energy to come out the next night at 9:00PM.

If I had it my way today would be upset heavy. Florida over LSU, USC beats Auburn, UT wins, and then Bama drags UK to OT even if they don't win.

Was pulling some numbers from box scores...in our 4 losses the thing that jumped out the most is we shot very poorly from 3 and had a lot TOs.

Averages in the 4 losses: 30.6% from 3, 12.5 Turnovers, and just 13.5 assist. In our 3 biggest wins (Zags, UK, MSU) those same averages were: 34.6%, 9 TOs, 18 APG...and honestly the TOs & 3PT numbers in the wins were hurt because MSU was senior night and the walk-ons went in late and played sloppy.
I've said all year that we live and die by the three, especially when matched up against big, bigs in the post. Grant needs some space to do his thing down low. If we can't shoot from long range, the wings can double or at least hedge the low post. We need to punish them for doubling or playing off the three point line by knocking down threes and playing inside out.

I've said all year that we live and die by the three, especially when matched up against big, bigs in the post. Grant needs some space to do his thing down low. If we can't shoot from long range, the wings can double or at least hedge the low post. We need to punish them for doubling or playing off the three point line by knocking down threes and playing inside out.

Agreed, and the best way to punish them for doubling is to run the offense inside out. Basically we need our wing players to stop shooting off the dribble. Either drive in, pass and cut, or work off screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back