SEC Tournament Thread

KenPom’s bracket odds:
D1RdJD-VYAAGNqI
Think Florida is more dangerous for LSU than miss state is for UT.

Reactions: kxtop
Excerpt from ESPN story this morning on what the Auburn loss did to UT seeding:

“The Volunteers aren't as good defensively this season as they were last season -- that's not really up for debate anymore. But the metrics are somewhat concerning for the NCAA tournament. They rank in the bottom half of the SEC in defensive turnover percentage and 3-point percentage allowed, which can cause problems against dynamic guards who can make shots.
Tennessee is still a Final Four and title contender; the Vols' offense is too good and they're too experienced. But the Volunteers are likely out of the 1-seed discussion and have things to fine-tune in the next week and a half.”

While the Auburn loss was a hit to their SEC seeding and potentially the NCAAs, I’m hoping it is a motivator to once again prove themselves. That seems to have worked in the past. They play best when they have a chip on their shoulder.
This is about right. They have worked too hard to have things fizzle out at the end. Hope we can at least make elite 8. No one’s gonna give them anything though. Play locked in and advance, or don’t defend and lose

This is about right. They have worked too hard to have things fizzle out at the end. Hope we can at least make elite 8. No one’s gonna give them anything though. Play locked in and advance, or don’t defend and lose
Sorry, but I believe you mean The Great 8? ;)

I think people are really underestimating MSU
They have a solid team. But I'm with others in the thinking that they present the least amount of match up problems for us. Other than Perry, their bigs aren't all that talented. They have size, but lack the skill to create huge problems for us. Additionally, while Witherspoon can be a problem, Tyree at Ole Miss and Lewis/Petty at Bama are harder to guard for Tennessee given their quickness and skill. Again, MSU has a good team, but overall Ole Miss and Bama present much more difficult match up problems for this team, and this has played out in our games with them over the past two seasons (with the exception of Ole Miss last year).

Miss State is a better team than Ole Miss and Bama, but it’s a better matchup for UT. I’m fine with the draw.

Last edited:
I think people are really underestimating MSU
Oh, obviously, ANY game is a concern, but I have this fear of Alabama and Ole Miss, too. I know MSU can be a very good team, but for some reason, my brain tells me we can beat State a little easier. That being said, my brain has been known to malfunction on many an occasion.

They have a solid team. But I'm with others in the thinking that they present the least amount of match up problems for us. Other than Perry, their bigs aren't all that talented. They have size, but lack the skill to create huge problems for us. Additionally, while Witherspoon can be a problem, Tyree at Ole Miss and Lewis/Petty at Bama are harder to guard for Tennessee given their quickness and skill. Again, MSU has a good team, but overall Ole Miss and Bama present much more difficult match up problems for this team, and this has played out in our games with them over the past two seasons (with the exception of Ole Miss last year).
Ole Miss doesn’t have talented bigs. Quinnadary is one of the best players in the SEC. Of course for people who only watch Vols games they saw one of the worst games his played in his career. He’s much better and more versatile than Lewis or Petty and it’s not really close. He’s also SEC leader in 3pt %. When Peters is hitting he can really heat up. He was 5/10 yesterday. Also MSU is the 3rd best offensive rebounding team in the SEC behind LSU and UK. That’s something we’ve struggled w. I think their first game against us was an aberration.

Miss State is a better team than Ole Miss and Bama, but it’s a better matchup for UT. I’m fine with the draw.
I’m just looking for some compelling argument about why it’s a better matchup - which considering MSU is better than those teams would have to be that much more of a better matchup to rather play them instead.

I’m just looking for some compelling argument about why it’s a better matchup - which considering MSU is better than those teams would have to be that much more of a better matchup to rather play them instead.

They don’t shoot the 3 nearly as well. Granted, they did against A&M but offensively they can disappear in spurts and the team goes wherever Weatherspoon takes them.

They don’t shoot the 3 nearly as well. Granted, they did against A&M but offensively they can disappear in spurts and the team goes wherever Weatherspoon takes them.
They’re #3 in the SEC in 3pt %. They played awful against us. One of if not the worst they’ve played in the SEC. Quinndary was ice cold. I think it was an aberration and I’d rather not have to rely on them being cold again

Wow a 3 seed. Very disappointing end to a great regular season. I hope this motivates the team.

You know...if the opportunity to win a regular season title didn't motivate this team, I don't think a seeding will either. I think they've just gotten the idea that they're so good that they can get away from what makes them special. Sharing the ball, defense, rebounding and working the ball through Grant and Admiral are what our identity is. We aren't blessed with a Lofton who can carry a team from outside. We're very inconsistent in that regard. We have to find that defensive edge and make it consistent. If we fail to do so, we'll be sent packing in short order and that would be an incredible waste of a special team/talent.

They’re #3 in the SEC in 3pt %. They played awful against us. One of if not the worst they’ve played in the SEC. Quinndary was ice cold. I think it was an aberration and I’d rather not have to rely on them being cold again

They’ve struggled with identity issues all season. They’re not the most disciplined, despite being highly talented. They just don’t scare me as much as Ole Miss, or even Bama who always gives us trouble regardless.

They’ve struggled with identity issues all season. They’re not the most disciplined, despite being highly talented. They just don’t scare me as much as Ole Miss, or even Bama who always gives us trouble regardless.
Talk about undisciplined, that’s Bama to a t. Donta Hall has given us the most trouble on that team. But I don’t really get what’s such a matchup problem for us against Ole Miss. I thought they actually played very well against us and at home yet still lost.

VN Store

Back