Real American Heroes

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
This is a feel-good thread. Please don't share anything with a political angle, but I'd love to hear tales about average Joe's doing heroic things, big or small. I can't get enough of stories like this:

As a little kid, Chris Turner saved up all his money for a metal detector. He was fiddling with it in the backyard and his neighbor saw him and asked if he could look for her wedding ring she had lost in the garden, 10 years prior. He found it, and he said it made her so happy he became addicted to helping people in this way. He's now recovered over 600 rings for people, and he doesn't charge for the service. He also started a website so people can get matched with ring finders in their area. The website doesn't get any money, but the ring finder you contact may accept a reward.

Chris Turner, real American hero.

The Metal Detectorists Who Find Lost Wedding Rings - The Atlantic

Got a story. It's a small thing but it always restores a little hope for me.

I walk to the train every day so I see the gamut of people in Atlanta. Train is near a school for the blind so there is an abnormal number of them. They have to cross West Peachtree at a busy intersection to get there. Cars a lot of time creep into the pedestrian crosswalk. There is one homeless guy, one who is a little touched, but I commonly see him helping the blind cross the road. He helps direct them, chides cars to back up and is generally nice with them.

Great to see someone with literally nothing helping people out. The blind dont pay him, dont see him pan handling there, he is just there to help.

Makes me realise I should be doing more.

This is a feel-good thread. Please don't share anything with a political angle, but I'd love to hear tales about average Joe's doing heroic things, big or small. I can't get enough of stories like this:

As a little kid, Chris Turner saved up all his money for a metal detector. He was fiddling with it in the backyard and his neighbor saw him and asked if he could look for her wedding ring she had lost in the garden, 10 years prior. He found it, and he said it made her so happy he became addicted to helping people in this way. He's now recovered over 600 rings for people, and he doesn't charge for the service. He also started a website so people can get matched with ring finders in their area. The website doesn't get any money, but the ring finder you contact may accept a reward.

Chris Turner, real American hero.

The Metal Detectorists Who Find Lost Wedding Rings - The Atlantic
If you are a reddit guy, go to r/humansbeingbros and enjoy.

Blood donors and organ donors across the board. Seriously.

Thanks for thinking of us, we who give blood. I've donated regularly since I was 18 years of age. The past 4+ years, I've administered a blood donor recognition program within my employer. I started it with the sponsorship of a VP who had an Iraq war vet as his chief of staff. Folks are weird about blood and organ donation. Given that less than 40% the population are eligible to donate, the donors are quietly selfless, and those who don't donate would rather it not be mentioned publically (I've had people say to me that recognizing donors makes them uncomfortable since they themselves do not donate, and making them uncomfortable is "not fair.").

VN Store

Back