Retire VolCalls

This is exactly what’s wrong with America, instead of just worrying about yourself and not listening, you all want to take it away from people like Jerry from Bulls Gap , who probably lives to call and listen. Maybe if you don’t like it don’t listen, I don’t. If Jerry enjoys it why try to take it away. It doesn’t effect you. JMO

This is exactly what’s wrong with America, instead of just worrying about yourself and not listening, you all want to take it away from people like Jerry from Bulls Gap , who probably lives to call and listen. Maybe if you don’t like it don’t listen, I don’t. If Jerry enjoys it why try to take it away. It doesn’t effect you. JMO

giphy.gif

I realize Bob isn't John Ward but he is pretty damn good as a play by play announcer. I think he's better at basketball than football but he's still pretty good at football, as well. Those that bitch are comparing him to Ward.

I showed up at my sister's house for the end of the Vandy game. She had the TV turned down and was listening to him.

Told her next time not to expect me until the game is over. As to him being pretty damn good, we can just agree to disagree. I believe he missed his calling by not working at Guantanamo Bay during the earlier part of this century.

Reactions: Manning Up
The old saying that you don't want to be the guy to replace the legend.

But Bob isn't bad. I suggest that the people who complain about Bob listen to other SEC, Big 5 announcers. UT could do worse, much worse.

Yep. I listen to local broadcasts wherever I am despite not caring whatsoever about the teams or games, I just love listening to games on the radio. There are plenty of major teams in major markets that have announcers that are turrible.

Reactions: Boca Vol
I showed up at my sister's house for the end of the Vandy game. She had the TV turned down and was listening to him.

Told her next time not to expect me until the game is over. As to him being pretty damn good, we can just agree to disagree. I believe he missed his calling by not working at Guantanamo Bay during the earlier part of this century.

That's OK. I appreciate a different viewpoint. Have you listened to other SEC announcers? Bob isn't bad...he just replaced a legend.

Reactions: columbia vol
Well let's see what Jeremy Pruitt's opinion on Vol Calls is:

DruneoPXcAEWMoi.jpg:large
You got this all wrong... After being on Gumpcalls back in Bama he is clearly musing over how intelligent and articulate our callers are compared to what he had there. He just hides it...

I would still bet the cumulative intelligence of callers on vol calls exceeds that of callers on Finebaum.

Basically any call in sports radio show is going to bring out the DAs in full force.

Hey Jimmy. How ya doin'? Jimmy...Fine
Hey John. How ya doin'? John...Fine

Rinse...repeat.....rinse....repeat
Caller: That's great. I sure do hope we get all the boys we're trying to sign. I'll talk to you next week, and I'll hang up and listen.

Yep. I listen to local broadcasts wherever I am despite not caring whatsoever about the teams or games, I just love listening to games on the radio. There are plenty of major teams in major markets that have announcers that are turrible.

Agree... I do the same thing when travelling. I listen to ballgames in the car. Bob isn't bad.

Reactions: UTAlum93
Caller: That's great. I sure do hope we get all the boys we're trying to sign. I'll talk to you next week, and I'll hang up and listen.

For the poster that was looking for Steve from Lexington...this pretty much describes his calls

Reactions: KBVol
I just think Bob needs to retire. I found the man boring on the evening news, boring on Jefferson Pilot, boring on the Lady Vols network, and super boring trying to fill John Ward's shoes. The fact that the callers seem like the biggest rednecks in the state is a reflection of Bob being boring. He may be, from what some have told me, one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. But his radio and television persona is flat. Then again, that may be just MY opinion, but Hell? You asked for what I (or we) think. There ya go!

I like him much better doing basketball. In football, he seems to have problems spotting the ball and a few names here and there. But UT could do alot worse.

That's OK. I appreciate a different viewpoint. Have you listened to other SEC announcers? Bob isn't bad...he just replaced a legend.
Meh, the bumbling player names always cracks me up. I'm not crazy about Kesling for a few different reasons most of them involve him being no where near as good as John Ward.

None of these call in shows have been any good since they banned "Mike"/"Cattleman" or whoever that guy is. He told them the straight up cold truth.

Yes....that guy was a legend. He may still be around on Basillio's podcast. You have to download the app.

Basillio's post game (live) podcasts are worth listening to. It's not over the air so anything goes. Good stuff.

Yes....that guy was a legend. He may still be around on Basillio's podcast. You have to download the app.

Basillio's post game (live) podcasts are worth listening to. It's not over the air so anything goes. Good stuff.

I'll check it out.

The old saying that you don't want to be the guy to replace the legend.

But Bob isn't bad. I suggest that the people who complain about Bob listen to other SEC, Big 5 announcers. UT could do worse, much worse.

I have. None of them give me a migraine. Hate to say it, but Eli Gold I could get used to. If he wasn't calling for Alabama.

I like him much better doing basketball. In football, he seems to have problems spotting the ball and a few names here and there. But UT could do alot worse.
I like when Tim Priest talks over Bob either in word or non-worded disgust or joy...just for pure amusement.
Bob: Guarantano drops back and had Jennings open...it's a long pass..
Tim: Money!
Bob: And he makes the catch

And though don't like the result is pretty funny when, for example, Drew Richmond kept jumping off sides and Tim goes off before Bob says anything.

Best call I've heard them do is the UT win vs FL when we stormed back on them.

Reactions: Volfanjohnny2005
I have. None of them give me a migraine. Hate to say it, but Eli Gold I could get used to. If he wasn't calling for Alabama.
Agree...but he's been there for damn near as long as Ward was at UT. I guess my acceptance of Eli comes from his NASCAR days..

Mick Huber (sp?) for FL will make you want to go jump off a bridge!

I realize Bob isn't John Ward but he is pretty damn good as a play by play announcer. I think he's better at basketball than football but he's still pretty good at football, as well. Those that bitch are comparing him to Ward.

Waaayyy back in 2010 after the Ole Miss game I had this to say about "Buckeye Bob":

"In a living interpretation of Jimmy Buffet's classic “Gypsies in the Palace” the “Connection” and I were guests of the Vol Network bearing official UT-issued media credentials and sitting on the upper row of the John Ward Broadcast Booth high above the greensward of Shields-Watkins Field.

Of all the places I've sat in at Neyland Stadium over the decades this was the last seat I EVER expected to occupy.

First, let may say something. I hereby withdraw, and sincerely apologize for, ALL criticism I have ever issued of Bob Kesling's efforts as Voice of the Vols. Having now seen first-hand the sheer volume of information, cues, stats, trivia, background info and PSA-type stuff that flashes before Bob during a broadcast, I decided that if it were I or anyone I know in that seat we'd be lucky to get the words “Vol Network” right, let alone the down, distance, lineups, and wind direction. Absolutely amazing.

Yes, Bob Kesling is Not John Ward. No other announcer ever will be. But then, when he started out, people griped that John Ward was Not George Mooney and – swear to heaven – before that complained that George Mooney was Not Lindsey Nelson.

Get over it."

I stand by that.

This is exactly what’s wrong with America, instead of just worrying about yourself and not listening, you all want to take it away from people like Jerry from Bulls Gap , who probably lives to call and listen.

Agree... I love hearing from these guys beyond the outer edges of suburbia... reminds me that not everybody is an Internet-addicted geek. The deeper the accent the better.

I started listening to vol calls back in the early 90s when I was on campus. I thought it was basically the only show in town. I know a lot of folks can’t stand basilio but I switched over to him because I feel they are a lot more honest and politically incorrect. They just come right out and say what everyone else is thinking. Yes there are rednecks and country folks mixed in with Phd’s and lawyers but who cares- they all make up vol nation.

Reactions: Montana Merkin
Meh, the bumbling player names always cracks me up. I'm not crazy about Kesling for a few different reasons most of them involve him being no where near as good as John Ward.

That's the point. Instead of bring in the best available, they brought in one of their local buddies. If Tennessee had wanted him, don't tell me they could not have gotten Mike Keith. He has a personality. He might have eventually outshined Ward, no way you have that hope with Bob.

But hey, if you guys are satisfied with him, I know who to blame for him still being here.

I think it’s time to retire Vol Calls. It used to be a good platform when I was growing up to listen and find out more information about Tennessee basketball and football. The Internet and Volnation give us quicker and better information like never before.

It also seems like every Caller that gets on the air is the biggest redneck in the state of Tennessee. It makes listening almost unbearable.

This is just my opinion but what do you guys think?

What may be unbearable to you is what makes it pure ecstasy for others.

VN Store

Back