Retire VolCalls

Op is right about the callers. Tennessee is full of wonderful, intelligent folks. None of which call into Vol Calls. The number of mouthbreathing hicks that call in to the show is stunning. And Hyams show isn’t much better. Oh, and by the way, the hosts are doing fine. No need to awkwardly ask them every call.
The mouthbresthing hicks are the heart of Tennessee and Sec country in general. Just because people sound simple doesn’t mean they’re dumb

Uh.....No. And why? "What a turn of events." To Hell with your idea of professionalism, DonDiego. You are forgetting one of the reasons all of us guys that grew up listening to John Ward loved him so well; he was the original homer to the extreme. That is what made his few mistakes forgivable and even endearing. Bob has never gotten that and never will. He is still the same boring guy from Jefferson Pilot that caused me to turn down the TV and tune in John Ward. And when his time comes, for me at least, it will be ABOUT time.
You say, 'to hell with Don Diego'? Don Diego says to hell with you!! lol. JK. I always thought John Ward was very professional. Nobody expects the voice of the...whatever...to be neutral---he was very pro-Vols, but showed class toward the other team, as well. He would get excited, but also show some excitement for the other team's accomplishments, as well. He was way too classy for some bs schtick like '...just drove a hob-nail boot in their face' crap like the moronic Munson from Georgia. He would never have been so low class and neither would Bob Kessling. Kessling is no John Ward, but he isn't that bad...and after all, there will never be another John Ward.

I’m guessing you’ve not listened to the show.
Umm, that may not be the case...just move along. My experience has been that people who sound simple are usually pretty dumb. Don't get me wrong, many people have southern accents--I sound pretty southern, tho not as much of a mountain twang as I had thirty years ago. Southern or mountain is one thing, red neck dumb is quite another. I've heard a few of these people who call in to Finebaum's show. I can only listen for two or three minutes.

Reactions: FranklinVol-615
You say, 'to hell with Don Diego'? Don Diego says to hell with you!! lol. JK. I always thought John Ward was very professional. Nobody expects the voice of the...whatever...to be neutral---he was very pro-Vols, but showed class toward the other team, as well. He would get excited, but also show some excitement for the other team's accomplishments, as well. He was way too classy for some bs schtick like '...just drove a hob-nail boot in their face' crap like the moronic Munson from Georgia. He would never have been so low class and neither would Bob Kessling. Kessling is no John Ward, but he isn't that bad...and after all, there will never be another John Ward.

First of all, it isn't Kessling, it's Kesling. And he is that bad. You can sit there and say it "isn't that bad" till your fingers fall off your hand. He is as boring as a Pauly Shore movie. There are better guys out there. They just didn't go after them.

What made Ward's retirement so aggravating was hearing his voice on those damn natural gas commercials. Gets you worked up just enough, and then? Bob. UGH! Hey you and my bone headed sister may miss him when he goes. I won't. I am still trying to find out what kind of incriminating evidence he had on somebody that not only got him the job, but has him keeping it. Must be something really damn rank!

Reactions: SmokeyLives
Well let's see what Jeremy Pruitt's opinion on Vol Calls is:

DruneoPXcAEWMoi.jpg:large

Why is it when I see Kesling that I see a strong resemblance to a coonhound? Is it just me?

Attachments

• 385F7834-844C-4307-AE26-578BA88ED9D5.jpeg
    385F7834-844C-4307-AE26-578BA88ED9D5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
Reactions: Big Al Orange
This is exactly what’s wrong with America, instead of just worrying about yourself and not listening, you all want to take it away from people like Jerry from Bulls Gap , who probably lives to call and listen. Maybe if you don’t like it don’t listen, I don’t. If Jerry enjoys it why try to take it away. It doesn’t effect you. JMO

Dont care about Jerry from Bull's Gap - I do care if Pruitt has better things to do with his time and I reckon he does. Also reckon his quality of life and happiness here will increase if we can minimize all the bs for him to do. Winning is enough for me.

I don't watch it. But, during this off season,when team news is slim to none and we yearn for some connection to what is going on, I am reminded of some advice and old friend gave me. "Don't start culling - You might wind up one short!" (old flounder fisherman)

Call in and let there be one less redneck then lol

Wouldn't that be something? We could all decide to bombard the show one week and coordinate it so nobody: 1) asks how they're doing, 2) thanks them for taking the call and 3) tells them you're going to hang up and listen. And try to ask questions on advanced analytics, how many spots we have remaining, how To'oto'o is pronounced, and why Pruitt never calls spider 2 y banana.

Reactions: Spider2yBanana
One last thing I can't stand are the guys wondering if Pruitt is aware of and recruiting that all-county 5'7" 160 lb kid out of Jellico that plays with a lot of heart and loves the Vols. He's probably the best player the caller has ever seen out of Jellico.

I don't get Vol calls anymore since I had to move. Used to be able to get it on Wlac in Nashville cuz its a 50k clear channel station....but Nashville got all loyal to Vandy. For YEARS Nashville was a Vol town. Now at least the media is loyal to Vandy. A not so good turn of events.

I think it’s time to retire Vol Calls. It used to be a good platform when I was growing up to listen and find out more information about Tennessee basketball and football. The Internet and Volnation give us quicker and better information like never before.

It also seems like every Caller that gets on the air is the biggest redneck in the state of Tennessee. It makes listening almost unbearable.

This is just my opinion but what do you guys think?

Well, . . .

Cow & Kangaroo cartoon 2

I realize Bob isn't John Ward but he is pretty damn good as a play by play announcer. I think he's better at basketball than football but he's still pretty good at football, as well. Those that bitch are comparing him to Ward.
Bob is a good enough guy but he is a bad play by play guy ...... most of the time on radio he gets names wrong ... says alot of things wrong .. doesnt give score .. gets down and distance wrong and changes it 2 or 3 times .... I cant stomach it .... if its on TV I dont care who is announcing and their opinions I would rather listen to the TV ......

Reactions: cardvolfan
I realize Bob isn't John Ward but he is pretty damn good as a play by play announcer. I think he's better at basketball than football but he's still pretty good at football, as well. Those that bitch are comparing him to Ward.

Not true. Bob struggles at both but basketball seems a somewhat better. He often seems unprepared and has trouble pronouncing players names. Not to mention he struggles to describe the play adequately.

I really never understood why they hired Bob to replace Ward. There were better options available to them. Just off the top of my head, they could have easily had Mike Keith, he wanted the job but was pushed out.

UT choosing Bob over Mike is certainly just another example of the ineptitude that has gone on for years at UT.

Bob and Holly are right together on performance, each seem like they are easily distracted from the task at hand and can’t handle adversity very well.
Bobs play by play doesn’t sound like its for radio, it’s more like he’s doing it for tv and a scoring update every couple of minutes is a good thing, don’t wait 10 possessions. Bert has to tell him the majority of officials calls and the word bang should not be used as a reference for shooting the basketball.

What in the Wide, Wide World of sports is going on here?

If Ol' Andy Jackson and the boys hadn't whupped the Brits in New Orleans we all might be speaking with a British accent.

We might be eatin' knockwurst and streudel insead of hot dogs and apple pie if Alvin York hadn't single-handed won WW1.

Go easy on my red neck friends.

After Ward retired, it was announced that there would be a nationwide search for the best play-by-play caller in the nation.

And look who we got.

I have not listened to a radio broadcast since the second game of the 99 season.

VN Store

Back