Retire VolCalls

Agree...but he's been there for damn near as long as Ward was at UT. I guess my acceptance of Eli comes from his NASCAR days..

Mick Huber (sp?) for FL will make you want to go jump off a bridge!

I listened for a bit to a couple of FL games this past season, nearly van Gogh’d my own ears.

Yes....that guy was a legend. He may still be around on Basillio's podcast. You have to download the app.

Basillio's post game (live) podcasts are worth listening to. It's not over the air so anything goes. Good stuff.

Cattleman is a jackass. He not only needed to be banned, he should live in a the center of a sanctuary for gay gorillas.

Waaayyy back in 2010 after the Ole Miss game I had this to say about "Buckeye Bob":

"In a living interpretation of Jimmy Buffet's classic “Gypsies in the Palace” the “Connection” and I were guests of the Vol Network bearing official UT-issued media credentials and sitting on the upper row of the John Ward Broadcast Booth high above the greensward of Shields-Watkins Field.

Of all the places I've sat in at Neyland Stadium over the decades this was the last seat I EVER expected to occupy.

First, let may say something. I hereby withdraw, and sincerely apologize for, ALL criticism I have ever issued of Bob Kesling's efforts as Voice of the Vols. Having now seen first-hand the sheer volume of information, cues, stats, trivia, background info and PSA-type stuff that flashes before Bob during a broadcast, I decided that if it were I or anyone I know in that seat we'd be lucky to get the words “Vol Network” right, let alone the down, distance, lineups, and wind direction. Absolutely amazing.

Yes, Bob Kesling is Not John Ward. No other announcer ever will be. But then, when he started out, people griped that John Ward was Not George Mooney and – swear to heaven – before that complained that George Mooney was Not Lindsey Nelson.

Get over it."

I stand by that.

I've often said that if I were to sit where Bob sits and had to call a live play I'd make Roger sound like JFK as an orator.

Reactions: VolinMC
Waaayyy back in 2010 after the Ole Miss game I had this to say about "Buckeye Bob":

"In a living interpretation of Jimmy Buffet's classic “Gypsies in the Palace” the “Connection” and I were guests of the Vol Network bearing official UT-issued media credentials and sitting on the upper row of the John Ward Broadcast Booth high above the greensward of Shields-Watkins Field.

Of all the places I've sat in at Neyland Stadium over the decades this was the last seat I EVER expected to occupy.

First, let may say something. I hereby withdraw, and sincerely apologize for, ALL criticism I have ever issued of Bob Kesling's efforts as Voice of the Vols. Having now seen first-hand the sheer volume of information, cues, stats, trivia, background info and PSA-type stuff that flashes before Bob during a broadcast, I decided that if it were I or anyone I know in that seat we'd be lucky to get the words “Vol Network” right, let alone the down, distance, lineups, and wind direction. Absolutely amazing.

Yes, Bob Kesling is Not John Ward. No other announcer ever will be. But then, when he started out, people griped that John Ward was Not George Mooney and – swear to heaven – before that complained that George Mooney was Not Lindsey Nelson.

Get over it."

I stand by that.
I understand where you're coming from, and there's obviously a big difference between listening (and offering opinions) vs actually doing the broadcast. In full appreciation of what you mentioned on all the information, PSA, etc, you mention, I will say that in addition to John Ward's amazing ability to paint a picture with words (a true story teller), he was also famous for his painstaking study of every bit of information pertaining to the game...a perfectionist...knowing about UT, and our opponent. Everyone doesn't have those abilities, which is why there's only one John Ward...but, sometimes I feel Bob and Tim are a bit unprepared. To me, it's like when you're interviewing someone and they answer questions to get to the next question...seems Bob just trying to get thru the play to get to the next one. But, as someone also noted, he may be better than his counter parts, and I just don't realize it because I don't listen to other team broadcasts.

The old saying that you don't want to be the guy to replace the legend.

But Bob isn't bad. I suggest that the people who complain about Bob listen to other SEC, Big 5 announcers. UT could do worse, much worse.
I live in South Carolina and for a little bit I lived in Alabama many, many years ago. I definitely don't listen to Bob, but I have heard him a few times. Believe me, you Knoxville fans are wayyyy too spoiled by the memory of the greatest ever--Mr. Ward. Bob is ten times better than the guys I've heard around most of the SEC. You haven't heard anything until you hear the raspy-assed clown who calls the SCe games--a homer to the extreme. Mr. Kessling is better and more professional than most, and when his time has come to move on, you might just realize that.

Somebody post the link to listen. I’ve missed it for a while now. I think I would like to give it a listen even if it isn’t as good as when JW was in charge.

I listened for a bit to a couple of FL games this past season, nearly van Gogh’d my own ears.
Ever listen to Todd Ellis from USCe? Sounds like somebody sanded his throat with #2 sandpaper. Everything is 'we just did this', and 'we just did that'. Unprofessional hack. Used to be a semi-successful QB for USCe and can't get past that.

Reactions: Plecoptera
Ever listen to Todd Ellis from USCe? Sounds like somebody sanded his throat with #2 sandpaper. Everything is 'we just did this', and 'we just did that'. Unprofessional hack. Used to be a semi-successful QB for USCe and can't get past that.

Haven’t had the pleasure. Sounds like I should choose to listen to nails on a chalkboard next time I am in South Carolina.

Is that where you are from ?

That's where I'm stuck for the present short term. I cringe when listening to any local call in show. It's probably only a 70/30 split on the calls but it's like finger nails on a chalkboard for the 30% or so. I'd forgotten how many two letter words could be pronounced as two syllables.

I think it’s time to retire Vol Calls. It used to be a good platform when I was growing up to listen and find out more information about Tennessee basketball and football. The Internet and Volnation give us quicker and better information like never before.

It also seems like every Caller that gets on the air is the biggest redneck in the state of Tennessee. It makes listening almost unbearable.

This is just my opinion but what do you guys think?
I love listening to Vol Calls. It’s better than anything else on Nashville radio. Freakin’ hilarious at times. I’ll hang up and listen GO VOLS!

I think Bob is doing just fine. I, like many on here, was totally spoiled by John Ward. Therefore, I seldom listen to Bob now. That is not his fault.

Bob is professional, but isn't really a storyteller and doesn't create a "narrative" for the game. It's not his fault, really; knowing how to set a stage and convey a story about what's going on is not something you just pick up. He's competent. But never exciting. "What a turn of events" in the aftermath of one of the 10 most unlikely moments in Tennessee football history; just a touch bland in the face of excitement. To be fair, he's still better than most radio broadcasters. Many are unprofessional, or become blatant homers. If anything, Bob errs too far on the side of professionalism, to the point you'd wonder sometimes which team he's calling the game for. But, that goes back to storytelling. Just an art, as much as a skill.

Oh and keep Vol Calls. It's a unique way to interact with the coach of the Vols. And we're paying him to be there for those interactions, so. Call away!

Just ... maybe screen it a bit better.

I think it’s time to retire Vol Calls. It used to be a good platform when I was growing up to listen and find out more information about Tennessee basketball and football. The Internet and Volnation give us quicker and better information like never before.

It also seems like every Caller that gets on the air is the biggest redneck in the state of Tennessee. It makes listening almost unbearable.

This is just my opinion but what do you guys think?
I'd rather listen to all the dumbest hicks in the entire state on a 3 day drunk, than to listen to ole Dob Kessling call another game!!!!!!!

This is exactly what’s wrong with America, instead of just worrying about yourself and not listening, you all want to take it away from people like Jerry from Bulls Gap , who probably lives to call and listen. Maybe if you don’t like it don’t listen, I don’t. If Jerry enjoys it why try to take it away. It doesn’t effect you. JMO
Glad you don’t run a business.

Yes the hicks are annoying...

but the guys in love with their own voices aka amateur sports radio enthusiasts, like Hitch...

give me a gun.

Reactions: musolfmj
I live in South Carolina and for a little bit I lived in Alabama many, many years ago. I definitely don't listen to Bob, but I have heard him a few times. Believe me, you Knoxville fans are wayyyy too spoiled by the memory of the greatest ever--Mr. Ward. Bob is ten times better than the guys I've heard around most of the SEC. You haven't heard anything until you hear the raspy-assed clown who calls the SCe games--a homer to the extreme. Mr. Kessling is better and more professional than most, and when his time has come to move on, you might just realize that.

Uh.....No. And why? "What a turn of events." To Hell with your idea of professionalism, DonDiego. You are forgetting one of the reasons all of us guys that grew up listening to John Ward loved him so well; he was the original homer to the extreme. That is what made his few mistakes forgivable and even endearing. Bob has never gotten that and never will. He is still the same boring guy from Jefferson Pilot that caused me to turn down the TV and tune in John Ward. And when his time comes, for me at least, it will be ABOUT time.

Reactions: Manning Up

VN Store

Back