Is Barnes the Best Coach in CB right now?

Your stats are impressive but one has to consider Cal has only coached at the premier BB school in his conference the last 2stops. Barnes never has. Being in leagues with UNC, Duke, Kansas & Ky makes his win loss record pretty good. Now, I’m not saying Barnes is the better than Cal but those stats are somewhat misleading for Cal.

Barnes was at Texas. Is that a blue blood no, but you can easily win championships there. Hell, Calipari has better tournament results than Barnes during his UMass/Memphis days than Barnes at Texas.

Cal arguably had the best team in 2014 with Karl Anthony Towns and lost to Wisconsin in the Final 4.

That team went 38-0.

You could easily say that Cal should have brought that team to a National Title.

Barnes has Kevin Durant and DJ Augustin and couldn’t get to a S16.

**** happens

Rick may be the best coach in the country but age is a factor.

If he wins a National Championship this year I could easily see him retiring and I wouldnt blame him.

Talent is subjective and we are basing it off production as teenagers in high school.

Grant and Admiral are as talented as any duo in college basketball. Just like a lot of underrated high schoolers, they would have been good regardless of who coached them. You act Barnes is coaching a team of bums lol.
Your statement that they would have been good no matter who coached them is baseless, and quite frankly, naive.

Last edited:
Reactions: wlkx
Because it’s a dumb argument to try and say Rick Barnes is a better coach than John Calipari. It’s simply not true.

-Calipari has made 8 S16 since Barnes last made a S16.

-Rick Barnes has one conference tournament title (back during Clinton’s presidency) Calipari has 16 in his career (6 at Kentucky).

-Barnes has ONE outright regular season conference title. Calipari has 15 (5 at Kentucky)

-Barnes has one Final Four. Calipari has 6 (one unfairly vacated, one fairly vacated)

-Barnes has 2 30 win seasons. Calipari has 10 30 win seasons (4 at Kentucky)

You can try and justify however you want about “floor general” or “developing players” or “gameplanner”. You can take the better “basketball coach”. I’ll take Calipari’s results, championships, final fours, and hang banners.
Again, you are missing the point. Hasn't come close to winning as much as he should have.

Barnes was at Texas. Is that a blue blood no, but you can easily win championships there. Hell, Calipari has better tournament results than Barnes during his UMass/Memphis days than Barnes at Texas.
How much credit would you give Nike for that? But I’ll give him credit that the FBI investigation did straighten him up more than Duke and Kansas.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Wow that’s a big thing to say about a guy whose 15th all time in win percentage.
I don't think it's big at all. If you recruit Top 1 and 2 classes regularly, shouldn't you find yourself playing on Monday nights? Is it okay to recruit that well and finish "less well." Your call.

I don't think it's big at all. If you recruit Top 1 and 2 classes regularly, shouldn't you find yourself playing on Monday nights? Is it okay to recruit that well and finish "less well." Your call.

So Coach K has underachieved too correct? He’s made one Final Four since 2011 and recruits even better than Cal.

How much credit would you give Nike for that? But I’ll give him credit that the FBI investigation did straighten him up more than Duke and Kansas.

Can you show me any legit allegations of major recruiting violations against Cal during his career?

To some degree, yes. But Calipari excels the most in that area.

Calipari has underachieved more than Coach K? That’s factually incorrect. See I can’t take your (and others) arguments seriously when you ignore results like this.

Calipari has underachieved more than Coach K? That’s factually incorrect. See I can’t take your (and others) arguments seriously when you ignore results like this.
Then lay the facts out. Show me how many titles and his final rankings/positions as based on his recruiting finishes each year. I'm listening.

Does being a head coach at a division 1 school require recruiting? Yes it does. That’s his job. That’s 50% of the job. And he’s top 2 for it. You all can take away whatever the hell you want from him “oh he’s not a great floor general, he doesn’t develop” blah blah blah but he gets the results better than almost anyone in college basketball. And that’s what matters. Calipari is a top 5 coach in college basketball. It’s a fact.
Actually, it's entirely subjective and entirely opinion. Don't talk in absolutes on this type of subject. You're smarter than that.

Then lay the facts out. Show me how many titles and his final rankings/positions as based on his recruiting finishes each year. I'm listening.

Show me how recruiting in college basketball directly equals titles. It makes you elite most times, but its rarely a guarantee to win a title. Basketball is a way more volatile sport. One dude can beat a team on the right day.

Jay Wright is a better coach than Rick Barnes RIGHT NOW. John Calipari is a better coach than Kermit Davis RIGHT NOW.
No way JC is a better coach than Kermit Davis right now. He is the best recruiter in the game but just an average coach

No way JC is a better coach than Kermit Davis right now. He is the best recruiter in the game but just an average coach

That’s bold considering Cal has a better record than Kermit right now.

Actually, it's entirely subjective and entirely opinion. Don't talk in absolutes on this type of subject. You're smarter than that.

Who has had better success this decade than Cal? Just results and stats, that’s all I want to see.

Show me how recruiting in college basketball directly equals titles. It makes you elite most times, but its rarely a guarantee to win a title. Basketball is a way more volatile sport. One dude can beat a team on the right day.
Every sport is volatile and unpredictable. Alabama's example in football is spot-on.

Recruiting finishes are completely subjective. There’s no mathematical formula these recruiting companies uses (that I’m aware of) to judge these players so they don’t really matter to what happens on the court. Sure Cal has had tons of talent to work with. And he freaking wins championships and makes Final Fours. That’s what I care about.

Again, determining what makes one coach better than another is entirely subjective, so one of us presenting an argument for one coach vs another is futile. The original argument being in the timeframe of "right now" makes going back a decade even less sensible.

Over the past two seasons, Barnes has been the better coach, IMO. That is more "right now" than the last decade. Feel free to disagree, but for you to take some hardline stance and say you're right and I'm wrong on this type of subject is silly. It isn't a fact. It's an opinion. You know that.

Again, determining what makes one coach better than another is entirely subjective, so one of us presenting an argument for one coach vs another is futile. The original argument being in the timeframe of "right now" makes going back a decade even less sensible.

Over the past two seasons, Barnes has been the better coach, IMO. That is more "right now" than the last decade. Feel free to disagree, but for you to take some hardline stance and say you're right and I'm wrong on this type of subject is silly. It isn't a fact. It's an opinion. You know that.

Cal still has a conference tourney title (beating Barnes head to head), same amount of wins last year, and did better in the tourney last year than Barnes lol

Last edited:

VN Store

Back