Is Barnes the Best Coach in CB right now?

I would say he is the best coach we’ve had. I would also say he is top six this year so far and 12-17 ranking wise as best active men’s basketball coach.

I don’t disagree with that. Although that 2010 team was full of seniors for Duke if I remember correctly
Scheyer, Zoubek, and Thomas were SRs. Singler, Smith, the Plumlees, and Dawkins were all underclassmen.

Scheyer being the only one of those 3 who really made a difference in the scoring column.

If this team continues to perform, he may have a legitimate shot at COY. It isn't the same thing as the best coach in the NCAAM, but I will take it.

He's top tier but Bennett is the best coach in the country IMO. Hatred for UK aside, I don't think Cal is that good of a X's and O's coach. He can recruit talent and use his talent to fit his system but so many times he's been worked on the sidelines. Isn't good at clock management and is not a very good play caller. I also think Mark Few is elite without winning the biggest games. He constantly gets more with less.

Reactions: cardvolfan
As usual it is hard to identify the best among the best. I wouldn’t trade Barns for any other coach.
That said Tn has been sloppy lately and we need to clean it up. Still love this TEAM.
Actually, 9 turnovers Saturday. Not too shabby.

Calipari has underachieved more than Coach K? That’s factually incorrect. See I can’t take your (and others) arguments seriously when you ignore results like this.

No that's factually correct. 5 titles to 1. I'm also not aware of Coach K haven't entire season results vacated for cheating. Maybe you should just start rooting for Kentucky in basketball since you've got such a hard on for Calipari.

Reactions: SCRocket
The Top 5 is pretty good, but not sure how you left out John Beilein. He took Michigan to the title game last year and to undefeated and #2 this year. Michigan was a train wreck before they hired him. I might even say Beilein deserves the top nod due to actual results so far. Barnes is certainly in the top 3 IMO.

I think so.

Getting his team to possibly the #1 ranking by tomorrow without a bunch of One & Done talent is pretty impressive.

My top coaches right now would be:
1. Barnes
2. Coach K
3. Bennett
4. Mark Few
5. Kermit Davis

How is Jay Wright on your list?

Coach K should be #1 for many reasons right now

3 parts to what a head coach does.....recruiting, coaching, and developing. Do you understand the difference, and if so, then specify your terms and then I'll play your game.
Play my game? You are strange.

Cal is one of the best recruiters in the game.

He has taken several teams farther then expected in the Tourney. So I will say above average game coach.

Average developer.

Barnes is an average recruiter.
Great game day coach
And above average developer.

With that being said recruiting is the life blood of a program. It should be weighted , in my opinion, more heavily then the other two.

Top 5 active coaches does not include Barnes. Izzo, Wright, K, Self, and Roy all are leaps and bounds ahead of Barnes. Cal is ahead of Barnes as well. Just look at both coaches results this past decade.

All of that being said, Barnes is doing a hell of a job the past two years. But let’s at least achieve something of note in a post season tourney before rolling this out.

Last edited:
Not now. Actually I reworded that trying not to sound like your mom. Didn't work Shoulda just posted without quoting u. Anyway, if u need any more instruction let me know. :-D
Head Coaches have various distinct responsibilities. Consider that before your next self-righteous post.

VN Store

Back