Things I Have Built

I havent, and likely never will.

Why go to HD when every store is different, its super cluttered in every aisle like a woman designed it...so you cant get a cart down an aisle...and again, you cant find anything without searching for it.

Lowes only builds stores from 1 blueprint. Some are reversed, but still...always the same blueprint, every store every city. I can have a list of 20 or 30 different things from lowes, and i know EXACTLY where each of them is before i ever enter the store, so i have a planned route and save time. And i am not at all OCD...you should see my truck, it looks like a grenade went off...but logicly placing everything in the same place every time saves time...and any time i have to go to the store for any purpose, i am losing money. Its that simple. Time is money. HD is full of soccer moms (married to 1) and they designed it for that reason. I never, ever go to HD if there is a lowes within 10 mins difference drivetime.

Sadly the quality of basic items is better at Home Depot.
Yellow wood as opposed to the cheapest supplier
Dile tile as opposed to Chinese crap
Anderson windows as opposed to no name windows.
And so on.

You can order at Lowe’s but Home Depot stocks it as their basic items.

Too be fair I mostly buy from businesses that don’t sell to the public but I only go to Lowe’s when it’s not at Homedepot. Which is almost never.

And so on.

Too be fair I mostly buy from businesses that don’t sell to the public but I only go to Lowe’s when it’s not at Homedepot. Which is almost never.
I like both HD and Lowe's but I like HD better. The two things I think Lowe's is better than home depot is plumbing supplies and nuts and bolts. They have a greater selection of fittings at Lowe's and a much better selection of fasteners.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
And so on.

Who doesn't sell to the public? I was a contractor and bought from local material suppliers. But if an individual walked in and wanted to buy replacement windows or materials for a remodel job they were more than happy to take their money.
I generally did not buy from HD and Lowe's though.
Off topic, but I had a credit balance at a national tile supplier for about 9 months, and called to place an order. They told me I would have to pay cash because I had an unpaid balance. About a month later someone from the home office called me and thanked me for discovering a glitch in their credit policy. Sure nuff their policy made no distinction between a credit and owing them money.
Nonetheless, I never bought anything from them after that.

Who doesn't sell to the public? I was a contractor and bought from local material suppliers. But if an individual walked in and wanted to buy replacement windows or materials for a remodel job they were more than happy to take their money.
I generally did not buy from HD and Lowe's though.
Off topic, but I had a credit balance at a national tile supplier for about 9 months, and called to place an order. They told me I would have to pay cash because I had an unpaid balance. About a month later someone from the home office called me and thanked me for discovering a glitch in their credit policy. Sure nuff their policy made no distinction between a credit and owing them money.
Nonetheless, I never bought anything from them after that.

There are several that don’t. I’ve sent home owners and then they bill me. Not really the point though. The point was I spend a lot of money in supply shops and not near as much at Home Depot or Lowe’s.

There are several that don’t. I’ve sent home owners and then they bill me. Not really the point though. The point was I spend a lot of money in supply shops and not near as much at Home Depot or Lowe’s.
Most will still sell to the public. They will pay a homeowner markup but still can get materials. Just my experience from working for a plumbing wholesaler for 15yrs. For the record we hated dealing with homeowners even with the markup. They had no clue what they were talking about and blamed it on us

Most will still sell to the public. They will pay a homeowner markup but still can get materials. Just my experience from working for a plumbing wholesaler for 15yrs. For the record we hated dealing with homeowners even with the markup. They had no clue what they were talking about and blamed it on us

Pretty much.

I havent, and likely never will.

Why go to HD when every store is different, its super cluttered in every aisle like a woman designed it...so you cant get a cart down an aisle...and again, you cant find anything without searching for it.

Lowes only builds stores from 1 blueprint. Some are reversed, but still...always the same blueprint, every store every city. I can have a list of 20 or 30 different things from lowes, and i know EXACTLY where each of them is before i ever enter the store, so i have a planned route and save time. And i am not at all OCD...you should see my truck, it looks like a grenade went off...but logicly placing everything in the same place every time saves time...and any time i have to go to the store for any purpose, i am losing money. Its that simple. Time is money. HD is full of soccer moms (married to 1) and they designed it for that reason. I never, ever go to HD if there is a lowes within 10 mins difference drivetime.

Makes no difference to me if all HDs aren't laid out the same (I didn't know that). I mostly shop at the one closest to me. I know where stuff is in it just like I know where stuff is in my local Lowes. But on the rare occasion I've stopped in a different HD you can stand in the main aisle and see the large overhead signs for each department. Once you get to the correct aisle it's not that hard.

I speak as the average homeowner. May be different for a contractor:confused:

Our kids all have very nice shell collections from our years of vacationing in Florida when they were growing up. My oldest son wanted a shadowbox coffee table to display some of his shells. I made it nearly 5" deep with a glass insert. The top has a brass piano hinge out of sight underneath so it can be lifted for access. I left the bottom unstained as my son plans to cover it with felt. The glass is not in place in this pic.

Edited to add pic with the glass top

1550260223318.jpeg

1550260464397.jpeg

1550260548327.jpeg
P1020283.JPG

Last edited:
Our kids all have very nice shell collections from our years of vacationing in Florida when they were growing up. My oldest son wanted a shadowbox coffee table to display some of his shells. I made it nearly 5" deep with a glass insert. The top has a brass piano hinge out of sight underneath so it can be lifted for access. I left the bottom unstained as my son plans to cover it with felt. The glass is not in place in this pic.

View attachment 194446

View attachment 194447

View attachment 194448
That's NICE!

A lot of the tile suppliers in Nashville don't sell to the public.

A few weeks ago I posted some pics of a display coffee table I made for one of my sons. He wanted to display some of the shells we collected over the years when the kids were young. He added a piece of blue felt to the bottom so the shells would stand out.

P1020283.JPG

shell table.jpg

I'm wanting to cover the top of this table with beer bottle caps (not sure how I'll design it yet but it will be multi-colored) and epoxy. I'm so bad at picking paint color/wood finish. I need something that won't clash with the patio chairs and sofa, which is basically a weathered light wood with light blue upholstery (pictured). Help me with ideas, please.

20191103_084340.jpg

20191103_084417.jpg

Well you can start with the idea that the epoxy will not darken the table wood in my opinion so long as the epoxy is clear. Also if there are holes or cracks in the table top it will leak through so duct tape underneath will fix that. I don’t think I would paint it. The caps will provide the color and visual

Reactions: Carl Pickens
My baby brother brought me a ton of fresh lumbered red cedar and we constructed this gem.

Attachments

• 06E15509-FB35-436A-A1FC-B0973DC95937.jpeg
    06E15509-FB35-436A-A1FC-B0973DC95937.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • B651615A-9D71-436B-AFA4-8479D536174D.jpeg
    B651615A-9D71-436B-AFA4-8479D536174D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
My baby brother brought me a ton of fresh lumbered red cedar and we constructed this gem.
Nice. I love the smell of cedar. Early last spring I bought a dozen, 10-foot-long cedar 4x4s to build some raised beds for growing tomatoes at my workplace but those 4x4s are still sitting in my storage room... And the business is still keeping me hopping, so I'm not sure those beds will get built for next year either. But that storage room sure smells nice!

VN Store

Back