'16 NC QB Austin Kendall (former UT commit)

Dude you couldn’t be more wrong. This is what a prominent coach around Charlotte said on AK

““I coached against Austin for 3 years and I would take him in an absolute heartbeat. Austin is a tremendous leader and absolute student of the game. He reads defenses better than any high school quarterbackI have ever been around. There is a reason he had almost 80 D1 offers coming out of high school. Also, a very good athlete as UNC offered him a scholarship to play lacrosse. AK just happened to have got caught behind two Heisman winning QBs and wants to move closer to home to be near his family. Someone will be getting an instant impact starting QB. He’s always liked the Vols and his talent under Chaney could be Fromm-esque. SC could be an option. I’m sure his phone is lighting up as we speak.”

Well, somebody get CJP on the phone and let him know all about Austin.

So you don't think jg improved at all this season? I'm not saying he had a great year but he was a lot better than last year.

Did I see improvement? Of course. The thing about it, he just doesn't seem to have that "It" factor.

When the bullets are flying and you need a play, I don't know we'vee seen him make the play. Whether we need a drive to rest the defense, or get that crucial first down, change the momentum, or a comeback, he just doesn't seem to rise to the occasion.

Hopefully I am wrong and everything clicks with him this year, but I just don't see it.

Did I see improvement? Of course. The thing about it, he just doesn't seem to have that "It" factor.

When the bullets are flying and you need a play, I don't know we'vee seen him make the play. Whether we need a drive to rest the defense, or get that crucial first down, change the momentum, or a comeback, he just doesn't seem to rise to the occasion.

Hopefully I am wrong and everything clicks with him this year, but I just don't see it.
Given how bad our OL is, I don’t thing we’ll see things click for any QB we throw out there unless it’s a dynamic runner like Hurts or something.

History lesson:

Committed to Tennessee and Butch basically de-recruited him to get JG in the same class.

I hated that move at the time, but came around on JG by the end of his senior year and can circuit and decided to “trust the coaches.” While I continue to support JG as a Tennessee player, I’ve always thought this was the better QB.

Would be bizarre full circle to see him return to Tennessee and unseat the player that essentially took his spot

Yeah, at the time I thought JG would be a better fit at QB in Butch's system than AK. But that is when I thought JG was actually a DT QB.

Go back and watch the Auburn game, he delivered about 10 times when he absolutely needed to

I believe him liking the Vols so much that he committed at one point, does get our foot in the door. If I had my choice between an up-and-coming SEC team or a basketball school in a mid-tier conference, I would be UT bound. I could definitely see him and JG battling it out for the starting position this fall. ANOTHER QB CONTROVERSY......

I believe him liking the Vols so much that he committed at one point, does get our foot in the door. If I had my choice between an up-and-coming SEC team or a basketball school in a mid-tier conference, I would be UT bound. I could definitely see him and JG battling it out for the starting position this fall. ANOTHER QB CONTROVERSY......

Was reported a little earlier today that he's strongly considering transferring to Duke.

I really hope Shrout pushes JG this year. Shrout is absolutely the kind of QB Chaney can make way way better.

We don’t need a qb transfer again this year. Went down that road last year, burned a scholly we could’ve used elsewhere this year, did us no good at all. JG, Shrout and Maurer are our 3 scholarship QBs, let’s roll.

And if JG gets hurt, we're left with zero experience at the QB position. I'd take AK in a heartbeat. I bet he would give JG a very good run for his money and may even Dethrone him. He's also studied in the same QB room with two different Heisman winners for the past 2 years.

Reactions: SCRocket and StoVol
Go back and watch the Auburn game, he delivered about 10 times when he absolutely needed to
was 6 of 8 on 3rd and 8 or better , that won us the game, but looking at the others it was obviously an anomaly

Believe we took Chryst cause we were afraid JG would get hurt behind a slaw line, which he did

And if JG gets hurt, we're left with zero experience at the QB position. I'd take AK in a heartbeat. I bet he would give JG a very good run for his money and may even Dethrone him. He's also studied in the same QB room with two different Heisman winners for the past 2 years.
How much has Kendall played? Started any games? If the coaches pursue him...then good. If not my sleep remains same quality.

I see no harm in taking a guy like AK as a grad transfer and having 2 yrs to play is added bonus. Our o-line play should improve dramatically with the influx of talent but you don't wanna go thru a season with a redshirt freshman and a true freshman being one play away from their number being called.

We don’t need a qb transfer again this year. Went down that road last year, burned a scholly we could’ve used elsewhere this year, did us no good at all. JG, Shrout and Maurer are our 3 scholarship QBs, let’s roll.
True, but Chryst would have been much easier to commit to if he had two years to play like Kendall does. He seemed to have more command of the offense in his limited playing time than JG. Sticking with JG seemed like the long-term play, though.

VN Store

Back