Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

Used to go there with my friends quite a bit in the 80s. It was good for just hanging out, dancing, whatever, and didn't have the pickup joint vibe that Rumours or Michaels' Cow Palace always had. Michael's in particular seemed to me to have an air of aging desperation (and cheap cologne) fogging up the place.

Too bad Crown and Goose is closing. I always liked going out into their beer garden area in the summer time and reading a book while enjoying a bourbon or scotch.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Pelancho's is where Garcia's used to be.
I think that's right. Just down the hill from the Weigel's and the old Mandarin House buffet. It used to be called Michelangelo's at one point (before Garcia's).

Reactions: MAD
Someone referenced Shakey's Pizza Parlor in Knoxville earlier in this thread. Shakey's was around in the 70's but is long gone.

This isn't the Knoxville restaurant, but it probably looked just like this one:

5617c1d735f3d.image[1].jpg

Elsewhere online, I've seen mentions that Shakey's was located on Kingston Pike in the West Hills area, but other people thought it was in north Knoxville on Broadway.

Does anyone know where Shakey's was? Or were there two locations?

Last edited:
Someone referenced Shakey's Pizza Parlor in Knoxville earlier in this thread. Shakey's was around in the 70's but is long gone.

This isn't the Knoxville restaurant, but it probably looked just like this one:

View attachment 188353

Elsewhere online, I've seen mentions that Shakey's was located on Kingston Pike in the West Hills area, but other people thought it was in north Knoxville on Broadway.

Shakey's was in the building across from Chili's on Kingston Pike. There have been a dozen or more bars and restaurants in that space since Shakey's left. Several sports bars. I think it's vacant right now.

My memory isn't clear but wasn't there was a Shakey's Pizza in Oak Ridge on Illinois Avenue where Hacienda Mexican restaurant is now?

I loooved to go to Darryl's when I was kind. I always begged my parents to get us seats in the trolley car lol.
Darryl's is the restaurant I immediately think of when I see this thread. It was a great place to take a date. My ex-wife and I used to go there when we were at UT in '96 and first started going out. It reminded me of a fun time in my life. It really hurt to see it close.

Darryl's is the restaurant I immediately think of when I see this thread. It was a great place to take a date. My ex-wife and I used to go there when we were at UT in '96 and first started going out. It reminded me of a fun time in my life. It really hurt to see it close.
I agree. I was living out of state when it closed and came back for a visit and asked my parents if they wanted to go to Darryl's for old time sake. When they told me it wasn't there anyone I almost cried lol.

So then I was like, hey let's go to Garcias! They shook their heads no. Mom said it was closed too. I said Casa Gallardo? Nope. Grady's? Dad said closed. So we went to Copper Cellar lol.

Reactions: BowlBrother85
Shakey's was in the building across from Chili's on Kingston Pike. There have been a dozen or more bars and restaurants in that space since Shakey's left. Several sports bars. I think it's vacant right now.

It was located at 7355 Kingston Pike. I found a couple of websites that reference this location. Here's a page on a site maintained by a banjo player, Jim Bottorff, who played at that location: http://jbott.com/banjostyle_recordings1.html

Jim said this was the only location of Shakey's in Knoxville.

Last edited:
I agree. I was living out of state when it closed and came back for a visit and asked my parents if they wanted to go to Darryl's for old time sake. When they told me it wasn't there anyone I almost cried lol.

So then I was like, hey let's go to Garcias! They shook their heads no. Mom said it was closed too. I said Casa Gallardo? Nope. Grady's? Dad said closed. So we went to Copper Cellar lol.

Part of me wishes time travel was real just so I could get some Grady’s cheese toast.

Back in late sixties there was a meat and three place out on Alcoa hwy called Pioneer House. On Sunday my dorm friends and I would go out there to eat. One of the waitresses said John Majors would eat there when he played in the fifties.

Back in late sixties there was a meat and three place out on Alcoa hwy called Pioneer House. On Sunday my dorm friends and I would go out there to eat. One of the waitresses said John Majors would eat there when he played in the fifties.
That was an interesting place, good food.

Last time in Knoxville, there was this neat little cafe on Market Square that had names for their sandwiches.

I just had to get the Cas Walker. It was delicious.

Edit: what was with the blue footprints on the floor at Cas' stores? I remember those now.

VN Store

Back