Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

Ace

So, I was in Shoney's one morning at the breakfast bar, and this was just after I had been lost in the Smokies for almost 2 weeks with nothing to eat but berries. Anyway, I ate 10 or 12, maybe 14 biscuits and gravy and washed it down with some nice cold milk. There was this freaky guy that kept staring at me like I was doing something wrong. He needs to not eat for a couple of weeks, and see how much he would eat. Some people......
I bet you had awful diarrhea

NEVolFan

Ima dude playing a dude..
So, I was in Shoney's one morning at the breakfast bar, and this was just after I had been lost in the Smokies for almost 2 weeks with nothing to eat but berries. Anyway, I ate 10 or 12, maybe 14 biscuits and gravy and washed it down with some nice cold milk. There was this freaky guy that kept staring at me like I was doing something wrong. He needs to not eat for a couple of weeks, and see how much he would eat. Some people......
Forget bout Shoney's... that should be an interesting story to share...

kcvols1

Yeah, there was a Hills store at the corner of Papermill and KP where the Whole Foods shopping center is now. It was oriented differently though.

In the little town where I grew up, Hills was our main department store. I was there every weekend at a minimum. Bought my first records there, first baseball glove, etc etc.
Did they have a lunch counter?

I conned my Grandmother into buying me a cassette of Van Halen 1984 there when I was about 8.

pismonque

Bury me in Orcadian peat
Did they have a lunch counter?

I conned my Grandmother into buying me a cassette of Van Halen 1984 there when I was about 8.
I didn’t show up in Knoxville till ‘86 but I don’t remember there being a lunch counter. Doesn’t mean there wasn’t one though — my memory is worse than I don’t remember what.

I do know there was a food counter in the back of Kmart, a few miles to the west. I think all the Kmarts had them then.

Pruitt Will Do It

Old Fan Of The Vols
I didn’t show up in Knoxville till ‘86 but I don’t remember there being a lunch counter. Doesn’t mean there wasn’t one though — my memory is worse than I don’t remember what.

I do know there was a food counter in the back of Kmart, a few miles to the west. I think all the Kmarts had them then.
K-Mart had good food back in the 1970s:cool:

Coug

Does anyone remember the Chinese restaurant(might have been a buffet) where when you walk in the door you were greeted with Asian gardenscape with plants surrounding this little river/water feature and you walked over this little bridge going over the water before getting to the seating area?

jackcrevol

Senior VN Member.
OCharley's, Bar Above Stefano's.

There was a place sort of behind First Tennessee off Cumberland - maybe Campus Inn Bar? It was a covered deck with keg beer. Damn. Things have changed. Do people have keg parties anymore?

VN Store

Sponsors