Recruiting Forum Off Topic Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a new drug, Eliquis, that does not require all of the labs as in the past. Also, according to one doctor I spoke with, in emergency situations, there is a related drug that can turn off the Eliquis if clotting is needed. No surprise, it is new and expensive. All that said, your point remains... football is an impact sport, and impacts cause bruising and can cause internal and cranial bleeding. If the doctors said he should quit playing, I hope he does.

It's just now going under production. Very expensive, something like 60,000 per vial. It will only be used in life-threatening bleeds as it's got nearly a 18% thrombosis rate and a short life span so likely would need multiple doses. Regardless, Eliquis is much better than warfarin in most scenarios.

Reactions: SmokeyDaBear
The drugs used for clotting are not the problem. It's his underlying clinical condition.

For whatever reason his body is prone to develop life-threatening blood clots that could cause a stroke or a heart attack.

So, without the drugs--playing football and the impacts he would endure could cause any undiagnosed clot to break loose and cause a heart attack or an ischemic stroke.

With the drugs--he could suffer a concussion or another impact injury to his brain that would cause a hemorrhagic stroke.

catch-22

Nah, it's def the medications. Most of these people are forming venous clots and risk is of PE, not usually stroke/MI. Risk is of internal or intracranial bleed on blood thinners. People can get away with 3-6 months of anticoagulation after one clot, but after two, they usually recommend lifelong anticoagulation. I'm not thinking Trey comes back because of this

Reactions: MEDVOL
My wife’s on Eliquis...I can testify to it’s expense. She can eat more green vegetables and green tea, but the clotting is still an ever present danger.
Are you saying there is still a danger of getting blood clots while taking it?

1. Trey should not try to play football anymore. It is simply not worth the risk.

2. Eliquis “doesn’t need all the labs” and if you are not taking labs, how do you know it’s working correctly? People metabolizes meds differently and concomitant medications speed up or slow down the liver enzymes. Doesn’t seem like a good idea to put trust in a potentially life threatening disorder.

3. Eliquis is cost prohibitive for a majority of people.

4. It is difficult to reverse the effects if needed compared to others.

5. Warfarin is inexpensive, effective and easily reversible.

6. Food restrictions on warfarin are a myth that is perpetuated by Brand Name drug manufacturers and those who don’t understand how it works. You can still eat “greens” while on warfarin as long as it is a consistent diet of your “greens”.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
1. Trey should not try to play football anymore. It is simply not worth the risk.

2. Eliquis “doesn’t need all the labs” and if you are not taking labs, how do you know it’s working correctly? People metabolizes meds differently and concomitant medications speed up or slow down the liver enzymes. Doesn’t seem like a good idea to put trust in a potentially life threatening disorder.

6. Food restrictions on warfarin are a myth that is perpetuated by Brand Name drug manufacturers and those who don’t understand how it works. You can still eat “greens” while on warfarin as long as it is a consistent diet of your “greens”.

On #6 then both my wives had witch doctors.

On #6 then both my wives had witch doctors.
#6 is what I've been told by doctors. Although when I first began using Warfarin I was given a list to not eat, they later changed it to as long as I ate greens consistently and monitored it well.

It's just now going under production. Very expensive, something like 60,000 per vial. It will only be used in life-threatening bleeds as it's got nearly a 18% thrombosis rate and a short life span so likely would need multiple doses. Regardless, Eliquis is much better than warfarin in most scenarios.
Another name for Warfarin - D-con rat poison

#6 is what I've been told by doctors. Although when I first began using Warfarin I was given a list to not eat, they later changed it to as long as I ate greens consistently and monitored it well.
When I read it earlier to my wife, she explained her doctors told her that Vitamin K contributes to the thickening of blood which counteracts the effectiveness of warfarin. She’s now on Xerelto and it’s all stable.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
There is a new drug, Eliquis, that does not require all of the labs as in the past. Also, according to one doctor I spoke with, in emergency situations, there is a related drug that can turn off the Eliquis if clotting is needed. No surprise, it is new and expensive. All that said, your point remains... football is an impact sport, and impacts cause bruising and can cause internal and cranial bleeding. If the doctors said he should quit playing, I hope he does.

Eliquis was initially approved in December 2012. Subsequent indications have been approved, including treatment for DVT and pulmonary embolism in August 2014. I was first prescribed Eliquis three years ago for a DVT. I took the drug everyday for six months. Based upon successful blood work, I was taken off the drug after six months. Earlier this year, I was again diagnosed with a DVT and will most likely be on Eliquis (or other blood thinner) for the rest of my life. Depending upon your doctor, you may still have a monthly lab work for the first six months after blood clot diagnosis. Then, the lab testing is reduced. Not sure of the regimen for labs on long term use of Eliquis as I have just started the drug for long term use.

#4, Andexxa was approved in May 2018 to reverse anticoagulation for patients on Eliquis or Xarelto. This is used only in life-threatening situations.

When I read it earlier to my wife, she explained her doctors told her that Vitamin K contributes to the thickening of blood which counteracts the effectiveness of warfarin. She’s now on Xerelto and it’s all stable.

I had a DVT two years ago & was taking Xarelto for it. Found out Johnson & Johnson has a program for low income patients (including me since I'm retired) which I applied for and was accepted after 3 months. So they sent me a card so I could get Xarelto for free for two years.

Scary sh*t though - a minor scratch on my hand that I barely felt and blood would pour down my hand until I could get it stopped. (That happened several times.) Now off it and healthy again, thank God. :)

My Dr was trying to figure out the reason for the DVT and he (oncologist/hematologist) tracked and trended blood work for a while. Never found an underlying cause though.

My DVT was provoked - I think that's the word - by what turned out to be prostate cancer. I just spent the last two years getting treatment (surgery & radiation), and I'm finally healthy now. My doctors say many DVTs are unprovoked (no known cause).

Thanks Doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back